Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedal Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So I just ordered a 29'er schlumpf wheel from Silva Cycles. According to Bronson it should be ready in several weeks assuming Florian ships the next batch of hubs soon. Anyway, I have all the parts sorted out except for the pedals. I want something that will let me adjust my foot position in order to shift. It seems like the Deity Compounds/ Nukeproof Electrons are the best bang for the buck, but I want to make sure they will do what I need them too.

    Long story short, do you riders who have been riding the Deity Compounds/ Nukeproof Electrons find it fairly easy to adjust your foot position?

    Thanks and Peace!
    "Why'd you put your beer down for this photograph?"
    -maestro8

    "I will irradiate my gonads in the name of unicycle science."
    -GizmoDuck

    Comment


    • Foot release depends on the shoe, the rider, and the terrain.

      The Electron/Deity is what I use on all my unis, even the 36er. I did find that the long allen head screws were grippier than I like, so I went to Fastenal (a hardware shop) and picked up a bag of nuts (3mm I believe), I screwed the nuts onto the allen head screws with a drop of red loctite. This made the screws more like studs, so grip was still excellent, but they were less grabby and did less abrasion to my shoes.

      I think I posted pics somewhere on this thread.

      In terms of best bang for your buck, these pedals are light, strong, have excellent bearings, superb grip, are as wide as any platform out there, and they are not expensive; Nukeproofs even come with a two year warranty!!

      I can't imagine a better pedal unles you found one that was lighter, so if you need to spend more money to save another 50-75gm, you can order the electron design in ti and magnesium for $300

      I rode them on my guni and they were not so grippy that I feared UPD's, so if that's your concern, I wouldn't worry about it.

      So I just ordered a 29'er schlumpf wheel from Silva Cycles. According to Bronson it should be ready in several weeks assuming Florian ships the next batch of hubs soon. Anyway, I have all the parts sorted out except for the pedals. I want something that will let me adjust my foot position in order to shift. It seems like the Deity Compounds/ Nukeproof Electrons are the best bang for the buck, but I want to make sure they will do what I need them too.
      Not to be a bearer of bad news, but if Florian hasn't already shipped the hubs, it could be a while. This is no fault of Silva, he can only order the hubs, the master is the one in control. I was "promised" my wheel in two months, it took six, which is better than never...
      Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-09-06, 10:52 PM.
      I dream of hamsters and elderberries

      Comment


      • Thanks Ben for the detailed reply! Sounds like I will be getting some Deity Compounds in red!

        Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
        Not to be a bearer of bad news, but if Florian hasn't already shipped the hubs, it could be a while. This is no fault of Silva, he can only order the hubs, the master is the one in control. I was "promised" my wheel in two months, it took six, which is better than never...
        Yeah, I am not realistically expecting the wheel to arrive that soon, and I am totally fine with waiting, but hey, a guy can hope!
        "Why'd you put your beer down for this photograph?"
        -maestro8

        "I will irradiate my gonads in the name of unicycle science."
        -GizmoDuck

        Comment


        • I have some red Deities that were on my 26guni, I'm holding out to see where they'll go next, maybe a 29guni like yours

          Oh, and when they arrive, tighten all the allen head screws and the bearing end caps, this will keep everything secure.

          Fastenal locations in Vancouver, WA: http://www.google.com/search?q=faste...w=1024&bih=672

          Deity replacement pin kit: http://www.deitycomponentsstore.com/...d-pin-kit.html
          Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-09-07, 03:08 PM.
          I dream of hamsters and elderberries

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
            I have some red Deities that were on my 26guni, I'm holding out to see where they'll go next, maybe a 29guni like yours

            Oh, and when they arrive, tighten all the allen head screws and the bearing end caps, this will keep everything secure.

            Fastenal locations in Vancouver, WA: http://www.google.com/search?q=faste...w=1024&bih=672

            Deity replacement pin kit: http://www.deitycomponentsstore.com/...d-pin-kit.html
            Thanks again, Ben!

            Good to know about tightening everything, I wouldn't want anything to fall apart

            I will also keep the nuts in mind, but I will try out the pedals as-is first
            "Why'd you put your beer down for this photograph?"
            -maestro8

            "I will irradiate my gonads in the name of unicycle science."
            -GizmoDuck

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
              I have some red Deities. when they arrive, tighten all the allen head screws and the bearing end caps, this will keep everything secure.
              my Oracle red Deities arrived today. I tightened all the Allen head screws and the bearing end caps but my 15mm pedal wrench does not work because there is no nut to tighten! Do I need to buy a special wrench? Are these just supposed to go on hand tight? How would one go about taking them back off?
              My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

              Comment


              • You are meant to use an Allen key in the end of the pedal spindle going through the hole in the crank (coming up from the bottom of your picture), most pedals are like that now as on bikes/unis there are few hex nuts/bolts anymore

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Feisty View Post
                  use an Allen key in the end of the pedal spindle going through the hole in the crank
                  Thanks for that! Boy do I feel silly. The SpeedPlay Drilliums on my KH29 are the same way but also have a nut/bolt on the outside for a 15mm pedal wrench. Learn something new everyday.

                  Another (probably silly) question. Do I need to tighten this (pictured below) side as well? Are these the "bearing end caps" of which Ben made reference to above? I tried to tighten it a little while holding the pedal. It got finger tight but then slipped. I got it finger tight again and let it be. I take it this end is for when my LBS does a refurbish of the spindle. Agreed?
                  My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
                    Thanks for that! Boy do I feel silly. The SpeedPlay Drilliums on my KH29 are the same way but also have a nut/bolt on the outside for a 15mm pedal wrench. Learn something new everyday.

                    Another (probably silly) question. Do I need to tighten this (pictured below) side as well? Are these the "bearing end caps" of which Ben made reference to above? I tried to tighten it a little while holding the pedal. It got finger tight but then slipped. I got it finger tight again and let it be. I take it this end is for when my LBS does a refurbish of the spindle. Agreed?
                    If it slipped it is probably just the dust cap. Just let it be unless it starts working itself out
                    -Kaycee
                    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Kaycees-Unicycle-gallery

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by KcTheAcy View Post
                      If it slipped it is probably just the dust cap. Just let it be unless it starts working itself out
                      Yup just the dust cap that screws into the plastic pedals so just leave it if it has slipped as you will be stripping the thread if you keep doing it up

                      Comment


                      • Snug up the dust cap so it is just under flush with the pedal end, that will prevent ground impacts from loosening it. The dust cap is nylon theads into the nylon pedal thread body, the sealed bearing and lock nutted axle head is protected by the cover, so you don't want it falling out.
                        Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-09-14, 01:56 AM.
                        I dream of hamsters and elderberries

                        Comment


                        • on the box for them it says to tighten up everything before you ride them.
                          Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan

                          Comment


                          • Just saw the Azonic "Flat Iron" pedals in a mtb mag.

                            They look a lot like Spike pedals but a tad thicker (10 vs 9 mm), a larger platform, lighter @ 385g vs 400g, and more screw pins instead of set screws. One thing I like is if the grip isn't enough (always an issue w/ me) if the longer pins isn't enough, u can put screws of any length though the back side.
                            Last edited by skilewis74; 2013-03-12, 05:08 AM.
                            Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

                            What's next?
                            Learn2Ride&doTricks
                            TrialsClasses&Building

                            Comment


                            • Chuc moi nguoi mot ngay moi lam viec hang say.
                              Dung quen tiep tuc dong gop cho dien dan cua chung ta nhe.
                              Cung chung ta xay dung dien dan vung manh

                              ------------------------
                              TKT company
                              Cong ty cung cap may hut bui cong nghiep hiclean hang dau tai TPHCM
                              TKT company, cung cap may hut bui hiclean hang dau tai TPHCM.
                              Call us: 08.66.830.930 website: http://tietkiemthoigian.vn/may-hut-b...p-hiclean.html

                              Comment


                              • Those Azonic Flat Iron pedals look nice but I'd be concerned about the loading of that single big bearing. I've gone through a lot of pedals through the years on a mtb and currently I'm running Straightline DeFacto's on my muni. They are extremely grippy, so much in fact that I removed 6 pins per side so that I could actually adjust my foot. The DeFacto's have a large platform but it does come at a weight penalty, hopefully the durability will make up for that in the long run.

                                Straighline Defacto's
                                Last edited by rockjunkie15; 2013-03-12, 12:11 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X