The Complete Newbie's Guide To Koxx-One vs Kris Holm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Complete Newbie's Guide To Koxx-One vs Kris Holm

I for one am tired of seeing the same posts over and over again. It seems that every few days we get someone asking if they should buy a Koxx-One or a Kris Holm unicycle. Without further ado:

Kris Holm:
    • One basic design available in 19" (trials), 24" and 29" sizes. If you are looking for a strong MUni in 29", you will probably want a Kris Holm 29".
    • ISIS splined cranks. Will not be compatable with all ISIS cranks.
    • Trials model is very slightly lighter than the Koxx-One devil trials unicycle. But this different is very small, less than a pound.
    • Simple look. Blue frame, black seatpost, silver cranks, blue hub. Saddle available in different sizes.
    • Strong splined interface between hub and cranks.
    • One carefully designed model with several years of development.

Koxx-One:
    • Available in many designs. More stylish than the Kris Holm.
    • ISIS splined cranks. Not compatable with many other cranks.
    • Available as a trials uni or street uni. The differance is in the cranks. They also make a 24" and a 26" MUni.
    • Strong crank to hub interface
    • Many different models and designs for different purposes.
    • Some of them look so hawt .

In my opinion, if you want a MUni, get a Kris Holm. If you want a trials or street uni, then get a Kris Holm or a Koxx-One depending on which price is right and which design you like more. Also remember that Koxx makes cranks with Q-Factor for street, Kris Holm does not.

In North America, the Koxx-One unis are available from Renegade Juggling and the Kris Holm is available from Unicycle.com

So, there is my two cents. Now I want to hear yours. Please add to the guide in order to help new unicyclists make a well informed decision.
    Last edited by Eroick; 2006-12-21, 03:27 AM.

I think whether or not the koxx unis are more stylish is entirely dependant upon your tastes. Some people may prefer the more mature and clean styling of the KH unis.

One important difference between the two are their frames. The Kris Holm unicycle frames are all aluminum with knurling on the crown for grip while the Koxx are not, excluding the Koxx XTP which is priced considerably higher. Also, their stock tires, at the trials level the KH comes with the maxxis creepy crawler tire wheareas the Koxx trials unis come stock with the try-all sticky which has a tread pattern more suitable for natural trials but is said to wear quicker than the creepy crawler.
    Last edited by Brian O.; 2006-12-21, 07:21 AM.

Newest Video:
    Hitting jumps on a 36er!

Get cool unicycle posters, pins and more!

Comment

Kris Holm is also available from Bedford Unicycles, Amazon.com, and various other smaller outlets.

Koxx-One is also available from Trialsin and Division8

All within North America

Originally posted by Eroick
      Kris Holm:[*]ISIS splined cranks. Hub is compatible with all other current unicycle ISIS cranks but cranks may not fit all other hubs.
      Fixed that part for you.

ISIS splined cranks. Crank arms are compatible with some Unicycle hubs but the hub is not compatible with most ISIS cranks.

Somewhat fixed
      Last edited by ntappin; 2006-12-22, 12:58 AM.

Comment

The KH cranks have a small Q-factor.
        lutzeichholz.de

Comment

Originally posted by ntappin
          Kris Holm is also available from Bedford Unicycles, Amazon.com, and various other smaller outlets.

Koxx-One is also available from Trialsin and Division8

All within North America

Fixed that part for you.

Somewhat fixed
          uhh
          renegade too
          ><> Unicycle For Christ <><
          MY VIDEOS
          World Record
          94cm Highest Hop (rolling)
          308cm Longest Hop (10 feet)
          210cm Static Flat Gap

Comment

A very important Issue in Favor of KH

I own a 24" Onza Muni. It is a great Unicycle but there is one thing that pisses me off about it. It has the same frame design as the K1. the design where the fork bars just end at the crown. I also own a KH and in all of the KH models the bars of the fork are bent in and welded in a nice seam. this have HUGE rammifications.

1) It gives almost another 2 whole centimeters of clearance between the crown of the fork and the inside of your knees. This is very important when riding on harsh terrain or in trials and your body and Unicycle find themselves in various angles that defy logic.

2) If your knee does hapen to bang into the crown of the KH, so what? It is banging into a nicely curved bar with a neatly welded seam. Not the sharp edge of bar as on the K1/Onza style frames.

I have attached the pictures of the KH and K1 crowns.

Unicorn
            Attached Files
            Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will accomplish great feats!

The Unicycling Commune

Comment

Good list! But the Koxx are also cheaper if you get em from Renegade. If your lookin for street and trials with big drops I would go for Koxx, and like Eriock said..they look so HAWT! the Kris is a plain looking design but very much endeed a good one. They have alot in common and are both GREAT unicycles. hence they are the KH and the K1 ;-)
              Cody Freaking Williams
              DIRTY BIRD VIDEO!!
              PAINFUL UNI VID!!!
              RenegadeJuggling.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn
                I own a 24" Onza Muni. It is a great Unicycle but there is one thing that pisses me off about it. It has the same frame design as the K1. the design where the fork bars just end at the crown. I also own a KH and in all of the KH models the bars of the fork are bent in and welded in a nice seam. this have HUGE rammifications.

1) It gives almost another 2 whole centimeters of clearance between the crown of the fork and the inside of your knees. This is very important when riding on harsh terrain or in trials and your body and Unicycle find themselves in various angles that defy logic.

2) If your knee does hapen to bang into the crown of the KH, so what? It is banging into a nicely curved bar with a neatly welded seam. Not the sharp edge of bar as on the K1/Onza style frames.

I have attached the pictures of the KH and K1 crowns.

Unicorn
                You may be right on this with the 24" but for street this isn't really a problem. I've never hit my legs on the crown of my koxx frame, and having a frame like that is also a lot easier on you feet for stand-up tricks.

Comment

^^^^^^
                  I agree with that, I have the nimbus II frame and love it.

I would say that the biggest deciding thing between these is the frame material. I like steel so i'd go for the KoXX1.

But I like the KH hub better so i'd go custom.
                  Nobody knows what happened to that boy after that.-Nutcracker

I know. He was kidnapped by aliens, learnt their ways, stole the biggest ship he could, travelled back in time by mistake and crashed the plane on the Earth surface. He was the one who killed the dinosaurs. -Ivan

Comment

Buy the quax or nimbus frame, both steel and both much cheaper then the koxx frame.
                    lutzeichholz.de

Comment

Any one know if the TRACK MONSTER KOXX ONE, 26” would accommodate a Large Marge rim? For that matter how about the KH 24 and 29? Thanks in advance…
                      One man, One Wheel, One GOD!

Comment

Originally posted by pcfisher
                        Any one know if the TRACK MONSTER KOXX ONE, 26” would accommodate a Large Marge rim? For that matter how about the KH 24 and 29? Thanks in advance…
                        I've seen a post here on the forums of someone fitting a LM rim in a KH 29er frame, although you should be careful with that because some versions have different clearance.

Newest Video:
                        Hitting jumps on a 36er!

Get cool unicycle posters, pins and more!

Comment

Originally posted by pcfisher
                          The KH 24 Definitely fits a Large Marge rim.
                          Attached Files
                          "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your mother"

Comment

TOO SWEET! What is your wheel setup?
                            One man, One Wheel, One GOD!

Comment

i'm thinking of upgrading to either a kh or a k1 from a dx. one of the things i don't like about the dx is that the bearings suck. it's hard to crankflip and even when i'm on the ground and kicking my pedals i can only make them spin fast enough to land maybe 1.5 flips if in midair. i've noticed that no1 has talked about this aspect of the kh and k1 and i was wondering wich is better?
                              http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
                              Unicycle for rational thought, open mindedness, and uncertainty. And Spencer.

Inventor of the Slapflip.

Comment

Working...
                              X