Ultimate Wheel Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 5

Well, let's start with the positive. The new tire is skinnier than the rim, so leg armor was pretty much optional. No rubbing or dragging or snagging of the armor. That was SWEET! The wheel is also lighter-don't think that really effected learning, but walking back up the path to start down again, and again, carrying it, was easier. That about wraps up the positive.....

Ok, a tire that skinny is extremely hard to stay balanced on top of!! Huge difference-which equated to a huge step backwards. Now maybe once I have it down, I could handle and appreciate the smaller profile, but for now, it set me way back. It looked much more like circus riding with me teetering back and forth from rubbing one leg to the other. NOT PRETTY!! I also decided to attempt going up hill on the incline to see how that did--pretty much impossible at this juncture. I did take a little air out of the tire and that helped a little--leading me to.....

--Conclusion: I need a "townie" style tire. Wider than my rim but without all the "mud knobs". That would offer enough of a surface to balance on, without grabbing my armor or legs.

Still loving the process and the chance to learn something new. I can't wait for a decent day to get back out and continue practicing!!

Comment

Excuse or needed change?

Ok, so one time I set out to teach this middle school kid how to ride. Every time I worked with him it was one excuse after another.
      -This road is too bumpy
      -These shoes are slick
      -The tire is a little low
      -I'm just tired today

He never learned to ride. He "tried" off and on for months and months.

So, as I let everyone know about my 3rd tire, I am reminded of the story and questioning in my own mind if the tire is an excuse. Or is it like Goldie Locks and one was really too hard, one too soft and this is it. Well, hopefully soon we will know the answer. New Tire installed today!! Looking at it, I am optimistic, but that describes this whole process.
      --First tire--mountain bike Knobby Kenda 26 x 2.10
      --Second tire--street slick (other extreme) 26 x 1
      --Third tire--(hopefully last) Good Year townie 26 x 2.125

Here are pics of #2 and #3
      Updates to come....
      Attached Files

Comment

Day 6+

Ok, FINALLY no rain or cold. Maybe spring will come??? I actually went out for a few minutes a couple of days after putting on the new tire. Not really enough time except to see if the tire would work. Today I got in a full practice.

Good news: LOTS
        *Love the new tire.
        *Size and shape much better than last 2.
        *I even shed my KH leg armor. (Rubs a little on jeans but not enough to stop from riding.)
        *Even with the large gap in practice time. Picked up right where I left off
        *Got about 7 revolutions without touching the fence.

Great weather, lots of good practice. REALLY hope to have to figure out how to get a video in here before summer of how I am actually riding this thing.

Long term plan is still to pick up a light aluminum UDC 24 inch and put folding pedals on it so that it is very portable. Then plan to adapt a backpack so I can carry it with me (like and elastic "x" strap system that it will hang on the back of the backpack.

GOT TO KNOW HOW TO RIDE THE THING FIRST!!

Comment

Originally posted by gwymer View Post
          ... I get a pair of old cranks and cut them down and find some really strong large fender washers...
          Are the cranks only held in place by one of the three screws or are they kind of clamped between pedal and crank?
          Einradfahren in Sachsen:
          einradsachsen.com
          f/EinradSachsen
          07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

I used a Dremel tool to notch the plywood so the crank fit inside snugly and flush to the front. It did not go all the way through. You are right, only 1 of the bolts goes through the crank. There is a large fender washer on both sides of the plywood sandwiching the crank and the other 2 bolts help pinch the washers together and keep them from shifting. They are only 1/4 inch diameter bolts. Has been very strong so far. I had to do it that way since I checked several places and could not find a reverse threaded nut or even one right hand threaded that had the same thread count as the pedals. Friend had old cranks and they are aluminum so they weren't hard to cut.

Comment

I used a Dremel tool to notch the plywood so the crank fit inside snugly and flush to the front. It did not go all the way through. You are right, only 1 of the bolts goes through the crank. There is a large fender washer on both sides of the plywood sandwiching the crank and the other 2 bolts help pinch the washers together and keep them from shifting. They are only 1/4 inch diameter bolts. Has been very strong so far. I had to do it that way since I checked several places and could not find a reverse threaded nut or even one right hand threaded that had the same thread count as the pedals. Friend had old cranks and they are aluminum so they weren't hard to cut.
              9/16 nuts are hard to find in reverse thread. If you use 1/2 pedals the nuts are easy to find at the hardware store. I had this idea for pedal mounts when I stumbled across 1/2x20 left nuts at the local Ace. With tee nuts, and fender washers I dont think I spent more than a few dollars on all of the hardware for both pedals. I already had the pedals in my parts bin (its a popular BMX size).
              "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

Comment

Day 7 & 8

Well, the original post was to hold me accountable--and following the time frame--it hasn't done the best job. I am still determined and according to pure days of practice, I am still poised to be basically riding by 2 weeks of "practicing".

Day 7 & 8 still saw huge gains. Biggest thought:

If it has been a LONG time since you learned to ride a unicycle and you are teaching others--I STRONGLY suggest trying an ultimate wheel. It is VERY much like starting over and feeling what new unicyclists are feeling.

Examples: Day 7 saw little gains from letting go of the rail some but on day 8 I had the epiphany of what I do with new riders--if you don't leave the rail, you will stop seeing large improvements.
                Day 8--started with only 3 sections left of the fence--then the open parking lot. Learned much faster how to keep up longer with no rail. I also discovered as I know with new unicyclists--you are so focused on NOT falling, you have NO concept of directionality/steering in a particular direction--I veer heavy right.

By the end of Day 8 though I had two times where I made it 50-60 feet (20+ revolutions) without the rail though--HUGE improvement. Now, the insides of my legs are raw, but still massive steps forward. I even ended up gathering quite an audience of strangers cheering me on!!

So close to having it down. No weather excuses and about to be out for the summer, so more time--running out of excuses not to just GET THIS DOWN!!

Comment

Pedal mounts

While I still have no clue when I might find the time to do the wood work (next to full time job, baby and the unicycle group I train), the metal parts already look fine (disregarding painting).

I used 9/16"-20 UNF to 1/2"-20 UNF adapters, 1/2"-20 nuts, big washers and two laser cut steel plates, 3 mm each. The one with the slot locks the adapter against twisting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191024_175535_7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	2461834

Name:	IMG_20191024_175555_6.jpg
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	2461835

Name:	IMG_20191024_175612_9.jpg
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	2461836
                  Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                  einradsachsen.com
                  f/EinradSachsen

Comment

Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
                    While I still have no clue when I might find the time to do the wood work (next to full time job, baby and the unicycle group I train), the metal parts already look fine (disregarding painting).

I used 9/16"-20 UNF to 1/2"-20 UNF adapters, 1/2"-20 nuts, big washers and two laser cut steel plates, 3 mm each. The one with the slot locks the adapter against twisting.

[ATTACH]73077[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73078[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73079[/ATTACH]
                    That is a great way of doing it. I have seen inexpensive "universal" pedals that come with the adapters like you are using.
                    "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

Comment

Finally a slower day and better weather. So, I headed out to find a good fence or handrail--preferably with a smooth slightly downhill slope. Then time to tire myself out straining many muscles trying to find balance.

It was a pretty successful first day attempt. I was able to make up to 3 full revolutions while holding onto the hand rail. When teaching people to first ride the unicycle, anyone who can make full revolutions on their first day out, I am pretty satisfied.

With Christmas only days away and more rain in the forecast, not sure how much more practice I will get "this year". I will keep track of total number of days practice till I can "ride" it though. Gaps, I know, will slow the progress.

Here are 2 pics--one with me practicing just balancing on it and the other was taken while moving "forward"--I use that term loosely!

(After 20 minutes of saving and spinning and re-saving--NO CLUE why they are coming through sideways???)
                      Great job! I would not be able to construct something like that. You are a great fellow! A very good way to save some money and test your opportunities!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
                        While I still have no clue when I might find the time to do the wood work ...
                        Now I finally found the time to timber.
                        I decided that I'm not able to cut the plates with my jigsaw accurate enough to guarantee true running of the wheel and ordered three NC-milled plates (6.5 / 12 / 6.5 mm) from a company nearby.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200415_165720_3_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	2803719
                        I printed stencils from my CAD construction to mark all holes. As the middle plate has exactly the inner diameter of the rim, I had to file grooves for all nipple eylets
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200415_171627_7_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.3 KB ID:	2803720
                        It perfectly fits the rim.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200415_174654_9_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	2803721
                        Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2020-05-18, 07:50 PM.
                        Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                        einradsachsen.com
                        f/EinradSachsen

Comment

To Save some weight, I made cutouts, that gave the middle plate kind of a spoke design.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200416_102049_8_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	2803731 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200416_103224_1_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.3 KB ID:	2803733 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200416_104332_4_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	2803732
                          Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2020-05-19, 05:32 AM.
                          Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                          einradsachsen.com
                          f/EinradSachsen

Comment

Then I added all the other holes for screws, pedal adapters, valve, ...

Name:	IMG_20200416_213206_1_Bildgre ndern.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2803735 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200416_204309_4_Bildgre ndern.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2803738 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200427_210232_6_Bildgre ndern.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2803737 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200424_203120_4_Bildgre ndern.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	2803736
                            Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                            einradsachsen.com
                            f/EinradSachsen

Comment

This is, how the pedals are mounted:

Name:	IMG_20200415_165659_0_Bildgre ndern.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	2803742 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200424_211006_0_Bildgre ndern.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	2803741 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200424_210934_9_Bildgre ndern.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2803740
                              Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                              einradsachsen.com
                              f/EinradSachsen

Comment

As you can see, the outer plates are larger than the middle one to provide a snug fit. All three plates are full surface glued and then screwed together. The middle plate is screwed with the rim through every spoke hole.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200424_213134_6_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	2803751 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200506_204507_8_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	2803750
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200424_213644_6_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	2803745 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_76201.jpg Views:	3 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	2803749 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_76196.jpg Views:	4 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	2803744
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200506_204551_3_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	2803747 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200427_205556_3_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	2803746
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200506_220329_3_Bildgröße ändern.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	2803748
                                Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2020-05-19, 05:33 AM.
                                Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                                einradsachsen.com
                                f/EinradSachsen

Comment

Working...
                                X