• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QX 27.5 Versus KH 26 Muni

6stringart@live.com
    Co-founder STOMP Muni Fest (6th year)
    Co-founder Magic City Muni Club

To be fair... a 27.5 KH would have been the fastest (if you would have bought it) because of the larger tire diameter than the Quax 27.5.

Also to be fair... maybe use this thing for a while and give another review.
    Then we can see real evidence about the quality.
    Seeing as you're comparing, how has the KH26 been for quality?

I've also used disc brakes on both of my 29" munis (Nimbus-inboard/KH-outboard) and have thrown them to the ground hundreds of times and have never sustained any disc damage. (knock on wood)
    Hopefully your disc trouble was just mud causing friction.

Comment

The KH26 with the Knard is fantastic!! No problems with the outboard disc brake.

I've never tried the 27.5 wheel but I don't think I will in the near future. My next wheel will probably be a 29+ Muni (KH probably)

Comment

Update

Thanks all for the comments!!
        --Today marks a month since getting the QX27.5. So, riding the trails weekly it has been 50+ miles later too. So, some updates:
        --Yes, the KH27.5 might be a little faster due to the tire, but over $200 price worth of faster? I can change my tire out for way less than that. I expected to increase my speed, I wasn't sure if the expense was justified though. At this point, I haven't beaten all my best times on different trails, but I am definitely above my averages. I had pretty much maxed out the KH26 even with shorter cranks. I am 5'9" so the 29 just seemed to ride too tall for me on the trails. I love my QX36er on the road though. I am loving the QX27.5 though for Muni!!
        --The brake hasn't given me any more trouble, and I have taken some good spills while learning the new muni. I guess it just needed to settle in some.
        --I am running my tire pressure as low as I can without rim pinching. I like the softer roll with less spring back. I still may switch the tire out for the 3" wide like I had on the KH at some point.
        --As to the quality of the KH26--about 6 months after getting it, it started clicking. We have torn it apart several times (I work in a bike shop). It is not the bearings, the pedals, or the spokes. We have lubed everything. As best we can tell, it is inside the hub. It rides just fine, so I live with the click when I get on it on up-hills. Otherwise, it performs great.
        --My QX36er I have had for one and a half years now and my rider friend has one too and their quality and performance have been perfect. Quax has stepped up their game with the quality of the QX series.
        --I will update more as I enjoy my new ride.
        (Come try mine at STOMP Munifest October 12-14 in Birmingham AL)

Comment

Pic

Enjoying my Muni
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gwumer,

Thanks for the review.

For the clicking during climb, try to put some grease between the crank and the hub. It worked for me on one uni
            => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
            => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

Originally posted by Canoeheadted View Post
              To be fair... a 27.5 KH would have been the fastest (if you would have bought it) because of the larger tire diameter than the Quax 27.5.
              It's funny, I bought my QX 27.5 two years ago and it came with a 3.0" tire. But now I don't even see that option on their web site.

It's been a great unicycle; I'm totally happy with my purchase.

Comment

On the new Quax #rgb Munis you can choose between different tires from 2.8 to 3.0 width for the 27,5.

Comment

Comment

The older KH Moment hubs consisted of multiple pieces pressed together and were known to creak. The new Spirit hubs are one-piece so nothing to move and no more creaking. The old Nimbus Oracle hubs were also press fit, not sure about the current ones.

Interesting hearing 15-20 PSI being referred to as high tyre pressure. Anything less than 30 PSI and my muni just feels like an unridable mushy sponge. I find 40 PSI to be even better.
                    Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

Mud Ride

Thanks all for your input to this thread. We learn so much from each other in the unicycle community!!

Well, to be fair: this week I had a clicking sound with my QX, which told me it was past time for my 30 day tune-up. So, I re-trued the wheel, checked and tightened up everything yesterday. A couple of my crank arm bolts were a little loose. Of course some of the bolts on the bottom of my seat had started to loosen-always happens over time.

This morning, it was sprinkling when we headed to the park to ride before church. By the time we got there, the bottom had dropped out. We decided to ride anyways. We had a blast! The QX did awesome! No noises. The brakes started to make a little noise at first once they got wet, but 15 minutes later into the ride, they were dried back out and fine.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Fun fast mud riding picture!
                        No clue why the picture turned sideways?
                        SORRY!

Comment

You are coming to STOMP Munifest October 12-14, I hope, since you are so close?
                          We have a blast! Would love to see you there and get to ride together.

Comment

Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
                            It's funny, I bought my QX 27.5 two years ago and it came with a 3.0" tire. But now I don't even see that option on their web site.

It's been a great unicycle; I'm totally happy with my purchase.
                            Hope you too can make STOMP Munifest. It is time to register and to order shirts.
                            pass along the word that we are also offering some scholarships to any students to cover the park camping costs for the weekend.

http://stompmunifest.blogspot.com/

Comment

Munifest

Originally posted by gwymer View Post
                              You are coming to STOMP Munifest October 12-14, I hope, since you are so close?
                              We have a blast! Would love to see you there and get to ride together.
                              This is Dan B, the first one signed up this year

Comment

Working...
                              X