Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Looks like MagPed realized some of us like the double-sided setup and have made an 'Enduro' pedal with both magnets already attached, and what looks to be a stronger (but heavier) pedal.

They're also working on a roadie version, which sadly seems to use a 4-bolt cleat that looks like the one you get with Speedplays. It's also single-sided again but claims to be half the weight of the MTB one.

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Just a quick update (again!)

I've been using the MagPeds for all of my riding since my previous posts, and am happy to report that I'm yet to break my face. I've also upgraded all 4 magnets to the maximum strength ones, which has improved them considerably. I can't physically lift out of them anymore unless I use the 'peeling sideways' motion and do so very hard (The previous magnets would give if you pulled up hard enough). I usually don't peel sideways, I tend to push really hard forward to slide my foot off the magnet and onto shoe rubber while still riding, that way the dismount is a bit more graceful.

One concern I had was that the magnets would unscrew a bit, but since putting the bigger magnets in this isn't a problem. I suppose they're thick enough that I can get a couple more turns on the screw to hold them in fully.

So... I suppose, mission successful. The only downside really is the cost (Which, after adding four more powerful magnets and a second set of mounting plates, is considerable, but you might be able to contact them and just buy the lot as one thing and save some). That and the weight, which is a bit more than the cheapest non-caged SPD and about the same/a bit less than a caged SPD.

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    OK, last post! I finally received a second set of magnet plates and bolted 'em on. I now have a double-sided pair of MagPeds! This should hopefully solve my biggest issue with the pedals.

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Soo, I've been commuting on these MagPed pedals this week, and figured I'd post a bit more about them now I've gotten to grips (totally intended) with them.

Firstly, due to the size of the magnet, it's not always a case of jumping on and being hooked on straight away, and finding the point where you get maximum hold is sometimes a bit tedious as it's quite easy to land in a way that the cleat is half-off the magnet, which causes you to be held well enough to struggle sliding it around, but not well enough to feel securely attached. This is getting better as I learn to wiggle my foot in place better, and actually means I can mount and dismount unclipped easily as I can just about wiggle my foot off the magnet when I see the light turn red. Not that it's really needed, as dismounting right off the magnet pretty much always works without issue.

There have been no unintentional unclips yet, and it's easy enough to 'pull up' on the pedals (though in actual usage I don't actually think anyone does this even on two wheels, I certainly don't), so I suppose that means the pedals have enough holding power for my usage!

I've got two different pairs of SPD shoes I've tested the pedals on - one is more of a road/CX pair, ie. minimal tread and a smooth plastic sole. These are terrible, but I reckon that's only because the pedals are 1-sided and so if I botch the mount I'll be riding on smooth plastic against metal, which means disaster! My other pair are more MTB-ey and has a normal rubber sole around the SPD cleat hole, meaning I can still use them on the non-magnet side so I've stuck to these for now. What little tread is on my roadie pair is also a lot deeper than the MTB pair, and I struggled making the magnet on the pedal stick out enough to reliably connect, but maybe I'll give the roadie shoes another go at some point when I've got the dual-sided pedals sorted as they're much lighter (and cooler looking).

I'm actually expecting a pair of green plates/magnets through the door any day now, so I'll post a pic when they're built

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Huh, yep that's them! Hopefully the MagPed bearings aren't only 20 worth! Though I suppose that does mean if the bearings do kick the bucket I can just swipe off the magnet mount off mine and put 'em on a new pair of Rockbros

I got a response from them and they've said they can send me the green magnet holding part with another pair of magnets for 35.

Bit of added weight for the ease of any-way-up mounting. I reckon I'll go for it - I can always put them on another pair of pedals so I have two pairs of magnetic ones if the weight gets annoying.

Leave a comment:

• mowcius
    replied
    If you can buy the magnetic parts separately for a reasonable price, you might be able to save a decent amount of money.
    I randomly stumbled across these earlier and thought they looked familiar:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockBros-...6/351673212015
    Last edited by mowcius; 2018-07-06, 06:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    So, further to my above post, I got a box in the mail today!

I've been riding around with them and they're easy enough to get out of without yanking my foot too hard (and a sideways twist does it), but they do hold the shoe down pretty solid. As suspected, learning to flip them over while mounting was a bit weird, but I can just about manage it most of the time.

My first gripe with them is that the magnet is very far back! I feel like I'm nearly pedaling on my tip toes. I've got the 'cleat' as far back in my shoes as they'll go, but I might start hacking at the rubber to get them further back (Mid-sole cleats finally make sense ).

I've got the 'normal' magnet strength, not the weak one, and I feel like it's about right. I have no trouble popping out of them in an emergency. In fact I feel like as I get used to them I'll buy a pair of the extra-strong magnets.

The pedals feel exceptionally solid and the bearings are smooth, but with the magnet in they are definitely heavier-feeling than my Nukeproofs. They are about the same size as the Nukeproofs, but are more diamond-shaped so cut the corners off a bit.

On the annoying flip-over mount thing. I've actually messaged them on Facebook asking about the feasability of making a double-sided version - the green plate that holds the magnet is removable, and seems to match up to the opposite side's grey plate, which is also removable, so I reckon if they'll sell me a second pair of green plates I'll be able to swap them out and make a double-sided set! They seem to be up for it, but I'll see how that goes

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Yeah when I used toeclips I got used to the act of flipping pedals over, but with these ones I don't think that would be necessary, I tend to mount from the back anyway They at least look lighter and more usable in normal shoes than the MagLocks.

From their instructional videos, it seems they're not really supposed to provide any float via the magnet though, unlike MagLocks. They suggest setting the magnet/cleat to the point that your feet still grip the pedal pins. Not really sure how I feel about that, as when using clipless on the bike I love a bit of float, but on the uni I'm pretty well used to being locked in place by 5.10's/spiky pedals.

About 150g lighter than the MagLock Stealth (the plastic ones), but about 12 cheaper (though they're EU-based, so I wouldn't be hit with customs charges like I might with the US-based MagLocks!)

I dunno... I like the idea of an 'easier' SPD, but it seems to come with too many downsides still.

Leave a comment:

• mowcius
    replied
    By the looks of it, they'll only have put magnets on the one side. As the pedal will always hang vertically with their design, it may make mounting more difficult, but once you've got used to it it may also be easier (they will always be in the same position when you're mounting).

The less strong option should be around 22lbs, similar to what Verbyl liked on the others.

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Looks like there's a new magnetic pedal in town:

https://www.magped.com/?lang=en

Cooler looking, and a hell of a lot lighter by their claims than the MagLock. Somehow they've managed to make it single-sided though (That is, the magnets will only 'clip in' from one side of the pedal).

Not seen any reviews as of yet (At least not in English),

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by broncojon68 View Post
    I recently took the eggbeaters from my bike to try on my muni. Yep , no thanks. Even after 20 years of mountain biking I'm just not skilled enough to muni clipped in!
    They work alright for road 36ering - Not for me, because I dismount far more often than some because of my city's weird twisty layout, but they do work!

Necessary? Probably not.

Leave a comment:

• broncojon68
    replied
    pedals

I recently took the eggbeaters from my bike to try on my muni. Yep , no thanks. Even after 20 years of mountain biking I'm just not skilled enough to muni clipped in!

Leave a comment:

• Verbyl
    replied
    Originally posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
    That becomes interesting.
    Though, I don't know why this plastic version of the maglocks has even less pins while the reviews on the metal maglocks point out the lack of grip offered by the pins when doing some serious vtt rides.
    The pins are there if you want to use them as platform pedals. They do nothing when clipped in as your shoe doesn't even touch them (at least my shoes doesn't touch them).

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Yeah that is a weird one. But 'regular' clipless pedals do offer float normally (just not the unlimited amount maglock's offer) so I'm not really sure why that's an issue Especially for riders used to things like Speedplay's which have ridiculous amounts of float.

Leave a comment:

• UniDreamerFR
    replied
    Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
    You might be interested to see that they're making a plastic version of these pedals for us weight weenies!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ock-bike-pedal

600g a pair, so still heavier than my plastic caged SPD's, and nearly double that of a pair of Nukeproof Electrons, but might be worth a go!
    That becomes interesting.
    Though, I don't know why this plastic version of the maglocks has even less pins while the reviews on the metal maglocks point out the lack of grip offered by the pins when doing some serious vtt rides.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X