Nimbus 2014 Saddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimbus 2014 Saddles

Hi, I just received a brand new complete Nimbus Oracle 26er and I noticed that a few parts has changed from the first models I seen.

1 - Seatpost Clamp: the older one with two screw has been swapped in favor of the new "doublequick" clamp. Bonus or Bogus really depends on your personal preferences, but I must say that the new one works very well and you're not going to wreck the bolt-heads anymore

2 - New brake: Tektro Auriga SUB instead of the Bengal Helix 5. Imho this is a bonus, the Tektro has a very good molded, one-piece caliper and the cylinder/lever design seems more robust to me. You have to purchase specific olives and insert if you want to shorten the hose though, since magura, shimano or avid ones won't works.

3 - New lever bracket: under the saddle you won't find anymore the KH 4-bolts bracket, but a 2-bolts one similar to the QX model. It look waaaay cheaper and bulky and definitely I really don't like it!

4 - New 2014 Nimbus Gel Saddle: The bogus part! No more KH base with screw instead of nuts to fix seatpost, handle & bumper. This is a step back imho, with this new base you can't:
    - Use a KH Touring Handle and/or Stiffer Plate.
    - Use a KH adjustable Seatpost
    Also the screw where you mount the front plastic handle/bumper are so short that actually is really a mess to mount the brake bracket! On my Oracle the two front nuts screw-in for less that 2 thread turns, making it really prone for the nut to strip the threads under pressure. And they are going to be under pressure since they hold the brake lever...
    Mounting a shadow handle will result in a similar way, the screw are too short to hold bumper and bracket together..
    There is also a new cover without the mesh-pattern inserts; instead there are coloured inserts (only on the back part) of the same cover material. Personally I prefer the older cover but it's just a personal matter.

That's terrible to hear about the new saddle. This is probably only going to make people more inclined to buy KH over nimbus gel then ever.

Comment

Why won't the adjustable post work? It's still the standard Schwinn bolt pattern right?
      "A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes

Comment

Originally posted by jtrops View Post
        Why won't the adjustable post work? It's still the standard Schwinn bolt pattern right?
        Because of the shape of the base. There is a recess where you mount the seatposta that is too small to fit the KH adjustable seatpost.

Same for the Impact Athmos saddle:

Comment

Why the hole in the handle again?!? The handles without the holes are so much better to your fingers...
          Riding for Triton
          Supported by Municycle.com

Comment

looks like it also has an entire new front grab handle design with a slightly larger hole than its predecessor.

Unless they changed the bolt spacing i'm at a loss as to why a new mould was made. Plastic moulds cost a lot of money and standardisation of parts across multiple manufacturers seems more cost effective.

Also why back to nuts. Was there an issue with hex bolts and seatposts or grab handles?

How does the new seatbase shape compare to the KH base?
            Last edited by davejh; 2013-11-29, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Maybe I'm weird, but I like the idea of the nuts. I've never had a seat with them, but I hate allen bolts with a passion. I've stripped too many seat bolts (along with others on my uni), so for me, the nuts are a welcome sight.
              "I used to watch Highway Patrol whittlin' with my knife..." - NY

Comment

Originally posted by Killian View Post
                Maybe I'm weird, but I like the idea of the nuts. I've never had a seat with them, but I hate allen bolts with a passion. I've stripped too many seat bolts (along with others on my uni), so for me, the nuts are a welcome sight.
                You're not the only one. I don't see any reason to use allen bolts, they are just plain anooooyyyinggg. Plus the fact that I'm always worried that I'll strip one out.

Comment

I stripped one of the bolts to the seatpost clamp almost immediately. Pretty sure they're aluminum. Now I can't take my seatpost off. It's a light clamp, but feels cheap.

Comment

If they 'have' to be bolts, I wish they'd at least got to a hex head, slotted bolt, or both (like those found on hose clamps).

Comment

Originally posted by Smilymarco View Post
                      Why the hole in the handle again?!? The handles without the holes are so much better to your fingers...
                      Not this one. :-p I have been testing this handle for 2 years and now can not use the Kh one with out a hole.
                      ++++++++++++++++++
                      Roger Davies
                      Unicycle.com in the UK
                      The UK's Unicycle Source
                      www.unicycle.co.uk
                      +++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Curious, can you fit your thumb into the hole, wrapping your whole hand around the handle like a regular handle bar? That'd be kinda nifty if you could...

Comment

Originally posted by Smilymarco View Post
                          Man, that picture displays seatpost base, not a kind of a front bumper.

Comment

Am I the only one who when riding down hill off-road and trying to pull the brake hand slips off the KH handle? This one with the big hole works great, I grip the front and can hold the brake as well and I can keep control of the unicycle while also braking.

Roger
                            Last edited by rogeratunicycledotcom; 2013-12-01, 07:30 PM.
                            ++++++++++++++++++
                            Roger Davies
                            Unicycle.com in the UK
                            The UK's Unicycle Source
                            www.unicycle.co.uk
                            +++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Originally posted by rogeratunicycledotcom View Post
                              Am I the only one who when riding down hill off-road and trying to pull the brake hand slips off the KH handle?
                              I think it depends on size of palm - my height is about 182 cm and I use to wear gloves of 11 size (usually it is biggest size in local bikewear shops). I feel comfortable to grab KH handles, opposite that Impact handle (that one with hole) feels too thin for me.
                              Last edited by hardcase; 2013-12-01, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X