Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wanted Australia] Mad4One/URC 24 or 26" Muni

Wanted... cause they are pretty.
    If you are female please join the “Female Unicyclists!” group on Facebook!

Suffering from withdrawal @Gockie?. Been too long since your last unicycle fix (purchase)?

Comment

Originally posted by BruceC View Post
      Suffering from withdrawal @Gockie?. Been too long since your last unicycle fix (purchase)?
      Yeah... I figured I don't have a muni... and these are pretty....

Comment

Yes, they have really interesting colour options. The URC frame that comes with the 24 can also accommodate pretty wide (4”) tyres.

I really enjoy mine at the moment and @grizbach is also a fan.

P.S. I wrote a crap ‘review’ on the URC 24 in the reviews section but I guess you saw that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gockie View Post
          Yeah... I figured I don't have a muni... and these are pretty....
          I went with mustard (a.k.a. green) but part of me wishes I went with pink. I mean, who doesn't want a pink uni… amirite?

Comment

Originally posted by ruari View Post
            Yes, they have really interesting colour options. The URC frame that comes with the 24 can also accommodate pretty wide (4”) tyres.

I really enjoy mine at the moment and @grizbach is also a fan.

P.S. I wrote a crap ‘review’ on the URC 24 in the reviews section but I guess you saw that.
            You were the inspiration!

A muni is missing from my collection.... I did ok in the Novice muni Aus Unicon event in October on a borrowed muni. (Gotta say though, riding muni is so much more work than smooth road!) I think the Unicycle.com munis just don’t have the “wow look at me” factor the UDC/Mad4Ones have.

Comment

You were the inspiration!
              Ok, that is a surprise. Despite talking on here regularly of late I suspect am a pretty bad unicyclist, compared with the rest of you. Now granted I do commute every single day (in all weather) but that is pretty much all I do. I have no real fancy skills to speak of (I never even learnt to idle) and my off-road experience is very limited.

But I do ride in the snow in the winter and I can say that as my first experience of a 4" tyre in the snow, it was quite a revelation. I hoped it would work this well but I didn't really expect it to.

One thing though, if you do find someone selling one, check what kind of cranks they have. All mad4one branded unis have ISIS (AFAIK) but some of the very cheapest (most basic) URC branded unis have square tapered cranks (including my own).

For my intended usage this was/is not a problem but if you like to do drops and stuff, I am guessing you would feel more comfortable having a stronger interface.

That said, the URC 24 mountain unicycles with ISIS hubs are still very competitive IMHO. On their website I see that they list one for €261.48 (without tax). If I take the price of the basic Nimbus 24 from UDC UK, remove 20% (VAT) and convert to Euro it comes out at almost the same (≈ €265) but URC can take a much bigger tyre and has a lot more interesting colour options.

EDIT: Oh and my URC (and the ISIS version I mentioned) comes with brake mounts, while the basic Nimbus 24 does not. You can even order them with brakes as an option at the time of buying. In fact the URC/Mad4one website is very good at offering all kinds of options. I am not just talking about colors (including a coloured RIM if you like). You also get to pick if you want a brake or not, which cranks you want (model and length), what kind of tyre, pedals, etc. I am really very impressed with them!
              Last edited by ruari; 2019-12-05, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Ok, that is a surprise. Despite talking on here regularly of late I suspect am a pretty bad unicyclist, compared with the rest of you. Now granted I do commute every single day (in all weather) but that is pretty much all I do. I have no real fancy skills to speak of (I never even learnt to idle) and my off-road experience is very limited.

But I do ride in the snow in the winter and I can say that as my first experience of a 4" tyre in the snow, it was quite a revelation. I hoped it would work this well but I didn't really expect it to.

One thing though, if you do find someone selling one, check what kind of cranks they have. All mad4one branded unis have ISIS (AFAIK) but some of the very cheapest (most basic) URC branded unis have square tapered cranks (including my own).

For my intended usage this was/is not a problem but if you like to do drops and stuff, I am guessing you would feel more comfortable having a stronger interface.

That said, the URC 24 mountain unicycles with ISIS hubs are still very competitive IMHO. On their website I see that they list one for €261.48 (without tax). If I take the price of the basic Nimbus 24 from UDC UK, remove 20% (VAT) and convert to Euro it comes out at almost the same (≈ €265) but URC can take a much bigger tyre and has a lot more interesting colour options.

EDIT: Oh and my URC (and the ISIS version I mentioned) comes with brake mounts, while the basic Nimbus 24 does not. You can even order them with brakes as an option at the time of buying. In fact the URC/Mad4one website is very good at offering all kinds of options. I am not just talking about colors (including a coloured RIM if you like). You also get to pick if you want a brake or not, which cranks you want (model and length), what kind of tyre, pedals, etc. I am really very impressed with them!
                I'm not that impressive of a rider either.... can't idle, don't hop (maybe I should try). And for some reason I can't ride forward -> backward a half revolution -> forward on the streets (whereas my neighbour kid could do it first go). I wonder if it's a mental issue. Biggest drop height is a kerb....

I did completely ok in the novice muni event of the Australian uninats though on a borrowed 24 inch muni and its because the course was doable. And a muni is better than a standard uni for that kind of course.

URC seem to have ISIS as the standard interface for cranks on the 26 inch size, I should check the 24 inch too.

As to tyre size... I can't see myself needing to ride on snow, so for me, is 4" wide overkill (unnecessarily wide?) 2.5" or 3" are the other options.

I really like that URC give you options at the time of purchase. I would go for double rim, cause when I had a head on collision with a car on a simple no name uni, my rim completely got out of shape. (Even though the speed was low impact in my opinion).

And none of my unis have brakes, so I would get a brake.

I am doubtful I can get one second hand here in Australia, but thought I'd ask before committing to buy new.

Edit: I think perhaps they've changed the specs so all 24" munis have the ISIS interface? Seems to be that way on the website.
                And I think the price with shipping is very very competitive. For the same money on UDC you get a very basic (and not interesting looking) nimbus. Nimbuses are very good unis to ride, but for muni, something more "wow" would be cool.
                Last edited by Gockie; 2019-12-05, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I think perhaps they've changed the specs so all 24" munis have the ISIS interface? Seems to be that way on the website.
                  I suspect the models specced up as Munis probably always did. The title of my thread was “507 urc road unicycle 24" - series 1” because I bought mine as a “road” unicycle and added the big tyre later. It was never listed Muni.

That also makes it understandable that it has squared tapered cranks. For that kind of usage it is less essential and they are cheaper.

Sorry for the confusion.

And I think the price with shipping is very very competitive. For the same money on UDC you get a very basic (and not interesting looking) nimbus. Nimbuses are very good unis to ride, but for muni, something more "wow" would be cool.
                  Indeed, URC/Mad4One have really interesting options and the prices seem good.

P.S. I have totally derailed your wanted thread with all this side talk… sorry
                  Last edited by ruari; 2019-12-06, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I suspect the models specced up as Munis probably always did. The title of my thread was “507 urc road unicycle 24" - series 1” because I bought mine as a “road” unicycle and added the big tyre later. It was never listed Muni.

That also makes it understandable that it has squared tapered cranks. For that kind of usage it is less essential and they are cheaper.

Sorry for the confusion.

Indeed, URC/Mad4One have really interesting options and the prices seem good.

P.S. I have totally derailed your wanted thread with all this side talk… sorry
                    Makes sense.
                    And I’m suspecting it won’t be possible to get a preloved one here.

Comment

Working...
                    X