Little adventure in the Canadian Rockies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
    Wow, what a great setup and a fantastic adventure! What rim are you using? Could that be the KH "XC" 38mm rim?
    Definitely not a KH rim Terry.

Awesome An'So!!! I'm seeing the Banff Film Fest this weekend in Minneapolis, but it won't be quite as big of an adventure for me to get to.

Comment

Thanks tons for the nice comments!

I was asked for the gear list, I'm happy to publish it, I just didn't want to have way too much in my post. Also I've realized that right now my list in French (for a French light backpacking forum) so I'll have to translate it first.

The trip was also the occasion to test my Inreach device (satellite communicator, similar to the spot except that it works anywhere in the world). Here is the map of the trip based on the one from the Inreach...
      So you can have a better idea of my itinerary

Click image for larger version

Name:	Map3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2444268

Indeed, the rim is not a KH. When I built the wheel with geared hub, we wanted to keep the whole ungeared wheel so we used another rim we had, (it's one that comes with electric hub motors we sell)

It's true I'm lucky to be able to go on adventures like that. And that's why I'm doing it now, I know it might not be as easy later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefule View Post
        Originally posted by aspenmike View Post
        Awesome adventure, beautiful scenery, and you are amazing!
        Praise like this from Aspen Mike, the amazing unicycling master of awesome adventures in beautiful scenery? You've arrived!
        Ok, I have to admit, I was secretly hoping that Aspen Mike would read the post, but I did not expect such an encouraging comment.

Comment

Amazing! I've been planning to do some longer journey at some point as well on my 36er. This kind of posts sure do help when choosing necessary equipment, so thanks a lot!

Comment

Nice work, esp in the snow by yourself, glad it worked out

So where are you riding next?
            I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

Great adventure and write up thanks for sharing and good luck on future trips.
              once I was young and stupid....that was some time ago

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/betterforks

Comment

Soooo cool! Great trip report! Thx for sharing.

Comment

Fantastic Trip! Thanks!

Comment

An'So - what a fantastic trip and I'm really happy it worked - congrats!!

Comment

AnSo great ride! Contratulations.
                      I would like to have such setup for my rides. And I'm waiting for the stuff list.
                      If you would plan to go into some higher mountains what would you change?
                      http://vooni.kkdt.org My unicycling adventures including RomUni ride.

Comment

Awesome ride, great job!
                        There is nothing worse than a gross exaggeration.

Comment

Great trip, and great report!

Comment

Thanks all, glad you liked the report.
                            I really tried to include details I was/am looking for when I was/am preparing my own trip, especially about the gear.

Originally posted by vookash View Post
                            If you would plan to go into some higher mountains what would you change?
                            I'm not sure what you're after. Are you talking about the same conditions on the road, or more like Muni style? What makes you think I would need more for higher mountains (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm trying to give the best answer), because it's colder? because there is more snow?...

Comment

Originally posted by anso View Post
                              Thanks all, glad you liked the report.
                              I really tried to include details I was/am looking for when I was/am preparing my own trip, especially about the gear.

I'm not sure what you're after. Are you talking about the same conditions on the road, or more like Muni style? What makes you think I would need more for higher mountains (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm trying to give the best answer), because it's colder? because there is more snow?...
                              Anso, I was more about the unicycle prepared for more climbing, still on the road, so maybe longer cranks or smaller wheel?
                              http://vooni.kkdt.org My unicycling adventures including RomUni ride.

Comment

It's true that because of the heavy backpack, you kind of need more leverage than usual. But I was already able to do quite a lot with the 137mm holes.
                                I also had the 165mm holes available if needed. So i really think it would have been enough. I don't think I would have gone with a smaller wheel.

But someone else was riding this route during the summer (he rode most of it, unlike me) and was using a 36" with 125/150mm cranks. And had to switch to a smaller wheel for the steepest sections. I don't know if it's because of his set-up, or a bit less experience...

Anyway, for myself, I would not change much of my set-up

Comment

Working...
                                X