Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a multi geared hub were available, would that make the 36" wheel obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing will ever beat the visual impact of a 36er

But apart from that they roll better. I have a coupke of schlumpfs on a 29 and 36 but for very long rides especially on undulating terrain I go back to a fixed 36 as I find my average speed is faster and I ride much smoother
    Unicycling in the Scottish Highlands

"Unicycle into the Skye" unicycle tour Scotland June 2015

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Highland.Unicyclist

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Hogan View Post
      Nothing will ever beat the visual impact of a 36er

But apart from that they roll better. I have a coupke of schlumpfs on a 29 and 36 but for very long rides especially on undulating terrain I go back to a fixed 36 as I find my average speed is faster and I ride much smoother
      Alan, imagine your fixed 36 with your current cranks and just a upgear (ratio 1:1.37) and a downgear (ratio 1:0.73); don't you think it will be better and that the concern with current Schlumpf is the huge gap between the 2 gears and the fact that you need to ride your 36 Schlumpf with quite long cranks ?
      Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2012-10-27, 12:49 PM.
      http://monocycle.info
      http://www.leblogdumonocycle.fr/
      CITY XTP 26", MUNI KH26" & KH29", ROAD Oracle 32" and KH36"
      my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bouin-bouin View Post
        Alan, imagine your fixed 36 with your current cranks and just a upgear (ratio 1:1.37) and a downgear (ratio 1:0.73); don't you think it will be better and that the concern with current Schlumpf is the huge gap between the 2 gears and the fact that you need to ride your 36 Schlumpf with quite long cranks ?
        Yes.... that would be feasable ...... for the 36 the 1:1.5 is a huge jump which results in rediculouly long cranks for when your in 1:1 and its hard to go up hill in high gear.

I am starting to become convinced that a down gear may be a good idea

Comment

Yes.... that would be feasable ...... for the 36 the 1:1.5 is a huge jump which results in rediculouly long cranks for when your in 1:1 and its hard to go up hill in high gear.

I am starting to become convinced that a down gear may be a good idea
          Here is my project , just on paper at the moment
          Attached Files

Comment

If that hub were built and it was at least as strong and reliable as the Schlumpf, I would buy two (29, 36) and I would be willing to pay more than I'd pay for chlumpf, say 50% more.

Would it be any easier/better if you designed it around a 125mm spacing, then you could add a brake rotor mount and slim down the casing. Flat profile cranks and 125mm hub spacing has about the same overall Q Factor as the current Schlumpf with Moments.

So on a 29" you would be able to sit and spin up steep hills and still have some nice top end, a perfect compromise for off road use. On a 36" it would make touring so much nicer, spinning the hills, then having a little more top end without being excessive to maintain over long distances.

If only I had the resources...
            Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-10-27, 01:30 PM.
            I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

Looks lovely!!! could it have a disc brak mounted to the the hub as well?

Comment

Looks lovely!!! could it have a disc brak mounted to the the hub as well?
                I tried but this is not possible, not a big issue as KH has disc on crank, it's better for a 36" (wheel stength), my design allows crank spacer so it's better than Schlumpf

Comment

I tried but this is not possible, not a big issue as KH has disc on crank, it's better for a 36" (wheel stength), my design allows crank spacer so it's better than Schlumpf
                  Ok, I understand

So if I order now can I have one for Xmas please?

Comment

Ok, I understand

So if I order now can I have one for Xmas please?
                    Sorry, which year ? I had a long discussion with Florian diring last Unicon. He knows about my drawing as I sent him prior to Unicon, he had a look on it, and he confirms that is works but is worried about reliability as there are a lot of parts, price and weight are also possible issues. I porposed him to develop and produce my hub, but he adviced me to do what he did himself 10 years ago, to built a prototype and then sell it.
                    Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2012-10-27, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onewheeldave View Post
                      ???

With bicycles, 29-ers are getting more and more common. BMX is massive, with 20" wheels.
                      Obviously BMX has a completely different set of requirements, just like trials. 29er is 700c.

Fact is, and that's clear from some of the posts on this thread, not all 36" riders have the big wheel just for the speed: the stability, extra height, looks and 'feel' of the 36-er are the appeal for many, and none of those can be replicated by a geared hub.
                      They all exist for bikes, too. And there are people who ride 36" bikes for those reasons. Like, three guys.

Comment

They all exist for bikes, too. And there are people who ride 36" bikes for those reasons. Like, three "hundred" guys.
                        Hey Tom, I caught your mistake, so I fixed it for ya

Seriously though, even Kris says he likes riding a 36er and says that the 36er guni is one of the best uses for a guni, so maybe you got some thick arse blinders or whatever, but you are most definitely in the minority.

Told ya so

Meanwhile, back in the bat cave...

I just finished adding some tension to my 36er wheel, repositioned the bike computer, and gave her a big squeeze; I love my 36er

Temps have dropped, finally, so tomorrow I'm gonna do some fast dirt/ gravel road riding with my bride.

Comment

Dedier-

That's a very pretty picture.

It looks like the planet gears have an engagement length of about 5mm. This defines the amount of tooth engagement for the gear train. You're also calling for a tooth count of 96 for the ring gear. The gear tooth engagement is very small for that design.

The planet cage looks like it is made with a very thin walled construction. Maybe it's even in two parts but I can't tell. This looks fragile for the amount of stress that the planets and planet cage experience.

The sun gear seems to be moved by a lever that pushes a pin that contacts only one side. This would tend to tilt the gear on the slide spline when trying to move it and it would want to bind. Maybe it's three-fold symmetric and I just can't tell without an axial view. The spline seems to be thin walled as well.

There are a variety of small, fragile parts in the assembly any one of which could easily break and jam the gear train, especially the springs.
                          Last edited by harper; 2012-10-27, 04:33 PM.
                          -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

Sorry, which year ? I had a long discussion with Florian diring last Unicon. He knows about my drawing as I sent him prior to Unicon, he had a look on it, and he confirms that is works but is worried about reliability as there are a lot of parts, price and weight are also possible issues. I porposed him to develop and produce my hub, but he adviced me to do what he did himself 10 years ago, to built a prototype and then sell it.
                            So does that mean you'll be giving it a go?

I have spent wads of cash more than once on ideas I had for new products, I probably put $2000 into fabrictaion costs to build a better telemark binding over the past couple years, much to the chagrin of my wife. Then along comes this guy and he makes something works and that was so much easier (and obvious if I had been looking) so I copied him and added my own "backend", so now I have what I wanted

There are a whole lot more failures than successes, such as my $900 ti uni frame that took four iterations and six months to produce, but still failed and it's just money and time gone...though that was more due to the person I chose to build it than material itself

Don't even get me going about my "dry land ski" experiments gone bad, that was many thousands of dollars lookin for a way to ski dirt and grass during the warm season; I gave that idea up and started riding bikes again, now unis.

If you can build it and sell the hubs as beta units with the understanding that the buyers are going to pay full price (your cost), be responsible for assembly/disassembly, and pay for upgrades over time, I'd be more than willing to "buy in". Think of it as a community project.
                            Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-10-27, 04:35 PM.

Comment

So Harper, care to help him make it work?

I'm not an engineer, nor do I have time to go back to school and become one, but I'd support the project with $$.
                              Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-10-27, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                                Hey Tom, I caught your mistake, so I fixed it for ya

Seriously though, even Kris says he likes riding a 36er and says that the 36er guni is one of the best uses for a guni, so maybe you got some thick arse blinders or whatever, but you are most definitely in the minority.
                                It's pretty obvious that with our current technology, a 36 guni is one of the best uses for a guni, because the high gear is 54", which is still very low for a high gear but better than anything else we have. My assertion is that if we had bike-style gearing (wide range of choices, small gaps between them, easy to shift), there would be very little reason to ride a 36.

Comment

Working...
                                X