Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another noob ? My seat turns whenever my uni hits the ground. Wrong size post? Clamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another noob ? My seat turns whenever my uni hits the ground. Wrong size post? Clamp?

I am unsure if this is normal or an issue with wrong size clamp or seatpost?
    The seat post does not move when I ride, all my weight on the seat, pedaling, turning, etc, the seat is fine. No side to side, no up and down movement.
    But whenever I let the uni fall and hit the ground via learning to dismount, if the handle side hits the ground, the seatpost will turn. Not easily, mind you, I can't hand turn it back. I have to wedge the wheel and wack with my fist or undo the clamp and reposition & tighten.
    I cannot get the clamp any tighter. The ends are touching and the bolt won't go in anymore than it is. Do I need a shim? Or is the seat going to do that upon hitting the ground?
    Obviously, I fall a lot since I am learning and I don't wanna ruin my new uni.
    It has a campy 31.6 to 31.9 clamp. Does this sound right size wise?
    yeah, I'm a girl.

What kind of unicycle is it?
    My youtube channel:CANMOREUNIPRODUCTIONS

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs

Comment

what Unicycle frame is it? What seat post? Do you grease your post before inserting (ooer)?

a Kris Holm needs a 31.8 (that is the seat tube diameter not the seat post)

I use single bolt clamps on all my Unis and have never had a seat move on me, not do they clamp all the way up, I still have lots of adjustment left

Comment

Most of my older unicycles are chrome-on-chrome in the clamp area. A chrome post into a chrome frame, which is harder for a clamp to hold well. Especially if it's a cheap-o clamp. We used to tighten those Miyata clamps until they distorted, and sometimes the seat would still twist. So then a little careful filing on the seatpost, and sanding inside the frame, provided a nice boost in friction.

You can try that no-cost solution, but if it's not enough I recommend getting an exact measurement of your seat post, and seat tube (both are needed for maximum accuracy) and shopping for a strong clamp in that size. Double-bolt clamps are usually very secure, though many single-bolt versions are just as good.
        John Foss
        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Surly Conundrum 24". The seat post is pretty hard to move without the clamp tightened. So I have a feeling it is that the clamp is too big.
          Single bolt.
          Good to know it isn't normal, looks like shim or clamp shopping I go.
          yeah, I'm a girl.

Comment

Working...
          X