No announcement yet.

26" CromMo Nimbus vs. 26" Oracle vs. KH26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to come. We've talked about this right? You are on vacation aren't you?

I am gone this weekend, here next, and gone the next one at the NYC unicycle fest.
    KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
    Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
    Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

Comment

Yes, I am back from vacation. Next weekend should work for me.

Comment

Just to confirm what's already been said, if price is not an issue and you're not worried about burning out before you properly get to use your unicycle, go with the nicest unicycle you can afford. One of the main reasons I love the sport of unicycling is that products at the very top of the line still cost a fraction of what b*king and other sports' equipment costs.

So in the end, you might pay a couple hundred dollars more, but I've never met anyone (save those who quit riding entirely) who've regretted having a nicer unicycle. Plus, if you're not worried about something breaking, you'll ride with more confidence and freedom.

My two cents.

-JD

Comment

I've owned a chromoly Nimby and now I'm expecting delivery of a new Oracle next week. I will post a Riding & Review about it. Stay tuned...
          Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
          Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
          -Dani Buron

Website
          Videos
          Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
            I've owned a chromoly Nimby and now I'm expecting delivery of a new Oracle next week. I will post a Riding & Review about it. Stay tuned...
            What size? 26"?

If I get a KH26, will I have to do anything special to put disc brakes on? A D mount? Will it cost much more than rim brakes?

Any advantages to rim brakes over disc?

I don't think want to run the stock 3" tire on the Oracle, I like the idea of a bit lighter tire that comes stock on the KH. I found out the rim is wider on the KH which is good because you can run larger tires will lower PSI, but the Oracle I can fit down to 1.75" tires, which might be more flexible for the road. Decisions, decisions...
            Last edited by kahunacohen; 2012-08-16, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
              What size? 26"?

If I get a KH26, will I have to do anything special to put disc brakes on? A D mount? Will it cost much more than rim brakes?

Any advantages to rim brakes over disc?

I don't think want to run the stock 3" tire on the Oracle, I like the idea of a bit lighter tire that comes stock on the KH. I found out the rim is wider on the KH which is good because you can run larger tires will lower PSI, but the Oracle I can fit down to 1.75" tires, which might be more flexible for the road. Decisions, decisions...
              I'm actually getting the 24" oracle since I already have two 26ers, so the Oracle will be used primarily for the most technical MUni. As for brakes, the new KH frames come with both the disc brake and maggie mounts, and Kris says that the D-Brake mount will also work but may require a bit of filing.

I happen to like my magura brakes just fine and they have been mostly trouble-free for years. But I also can see some positives of the disc system as well, and it seems to work very nicely on my Oregon, and will also be standard equipment on my Oracle. I will also be getting the 3.0 width tire which I feel is the way to go for all-out technical MUni.
              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2012-08-16, 05:01 PM.
              -Dani Buron

Website
              Videos
              Facebook

Comment

I also want the dual hole cranks and the KH seat, so that starts to add up to close to the cost of the KH26...when you add the cost of brakes.

Speaking of 24", the trails that I've been riding are moderately technical, at least for me. There are some flats, but there are also trails with moderately sized rocks in the middle that cannot be (by me) rolled-over. Some of these rocks I can hop, but these parts of the trail currently put me at the limit of my ability.

Terry, would you advise me to step down to a 24"? I have never really ridden anything bigger than a 24" in my 30 years of unicycling. I was thinking of the 26" because it's a bit faster and has better rolling ability than the 24, but maybe I should reconsider? I have seen you doing pretty crazy stuff on a 29", so what kind of trails did you get the Oracle for? They must be pretty crazy.
                Last edited by kahunacohen; 2012-08-16, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
                  I also want the dual hole cranks and the KH seat, so that starts to add up to close to the cost of the KH26...when you add the cost of brakes.

Speaking of 24", the trails that I've been riding are moderately technical, at least for me. There are some flats, but there are also trails with moderately sized rocks in the middle that cannot be (by me) rolled-over. Some of these rocks I can hop, but these parts of the trail currently put me at the limit of my ability.

Terry, would you advise me to step down to a 24"? I have never really ridden anything bigger than a 24" in my 30 years of unicycling. I was thinking of the 26" because it's a bit faster and has better rolling ability than the 24, but maybe I should reconsider? I have seen you doing pretty crazy stuff on a 29", so what kind of trails did you get the Oracle for? They must be pretty crazy.
                  Since I already have two 26ers, I wanted the classic 24" size. I feel that it's the strongest size for doing drops and for the most all-out technical riding. Plus, the 24 will maneuver better and respond faster to rider input. The disadvantages of a 24, unless geared, is that it's a bit slower than a 26er, and you have much less tire choice.

But when I want to go out and ride the most technical trails where I might be doing some sizable drops, and I'm not planning on riding more than a few miles, I will take the 24 every time. Having said that yes, I have done technical MUni on my larger unis, all the way up to my 36er, but if I only had one size to ride on the most difficult trails, again, it'd be my 24.
                  Last edited by MuniAddict; 2012-08-16, 05:38 PM.
                  -Dani Buron

Website
                  Videos
                  Facebook

Comment

To get a KH a break setup all you need is the brake lever mount for the seat, and the actual brake system.

I will be putting a hydraulic disk on my Nimbus Muni, the rim brakes work well enough but i love how the disk brakes feel, i have had absolutely no issues in 5 seasons of running my mountain bike so its proven itself to me.

The KH Muni's come with double hole spirit cranks with the disk mount, and the Nimbus (assuming the oracle) you would have to purchase a set of double hole cranks on top of the price of the unicycle.
                    My Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkbs...?feature=guide

Comment

So doing some thinking, this is what I've come up with. I want brakes, dual hole cranks and < 3.0" tire.

OK, here are my latest thoughts:

Nimbus 26
                      Base: $350
                      Dual Hole Cranks: $120
                      Brakes: $200
                      2.4" Tire: $50
                      Total: $720

KH26
                      Base: $675
                      Dual Hole Cranks (no extra)
                      Brakes (rim): $200
                      Total: $875

Oracle 26
                      Base: $650
                      Dual Hole Cranks: $120
                      2.4" Tire: $50
                      Total: $830

Clearly, the upgrades to the straight steel Nimbus are not worth it, when I can get a better quality aluminum frame for $100 more. So it's between the KH26 and Oracle 26". Seems the Oracle would be a better deal, a bit cheaper, rounded fork, two tires (it comes with 3"), and with disc brakes out of the box. Apparently the Oracle rim will hold tires down to 1.75" in width, whereas the KH26 can't take tires much thinner than 2.5" because of the wider rim. I was thinking the thinner rim would be an advantage if I wanted to swap out to thinner tires and ride on the street (I have a spare 26X1.95 tire).

What's the advantage of the thicker rims of the KH26? I can run lower PSI? Aside from the disc brakes, what exactly, if any, advantages are there to the KH26 over the Oracle?

Also what do the spirit cranks mean? Does that mean you need to mount disc brakes on the cranks? Can you easily mount a disc brake system on the KH hub?

Comment

The wider rim allows wider tires, which allow you to run low pressure.

The KH is lighter, and much more refined then the Nimbus.

The best comparison i have is my KH seat vs my Nimbus seat. Having the Nimbus Gel saddle you would think it would be more comfortable then the KH fusion street which is designed more for tricks and shorter rides. Buts its quite the oposite i have found my KH seat exeptionally more comfortable and after a few minutes of using the Nimbus gel saddle i start getting pain.

Spirit cranks:
                        -Q factor. They are contoured to seperate the pedals more to allow a more natural riding position, puting less stress on your hips/knees/ankles and giving you more control and smoother ride.
                        -Double Hole, the moments also have this but the psirit cranks are 25% lighter (and they are LIGHT!!)
                        -Disk mount

The KH hub does not have a disk mount and all the Muni's come with the disk mount.

With the products i have used by kris holm that i have been able to compare to my Nimbus equivalent, there is a large different in quality and design. To set up the Hydraulic disk brakes on my Nimbus are costing me almost exactly $200.

Rotor - $30
                        Caliper/lever - $160 - 50% = $80
                        D Brake mount - $33
                        KH Lever mount - $20

with taxes and shippings it came out to about $195 cdn.

I did not include the price of the Spirit cranks in there, i was going to buy double holed cranks regardless and purchased mine on sale for $93 so that was a in avoidable purchase.
                        My Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkbs...?feature=guide

Comment

I was going to post how you really didn't need to factor the full $120 into purchasing an additional pair of dual hole cranks, you'd just end up with an extra pair of cranks collecting dust... but it looks like some options went away on UDC.

Once upon a time when you placed your order you could upgrade from whatever the default cranks were to dual hole moments for something like $30 extra, which would have knocked off $90 on each of the nimbus unis you listed.

You won't know until you call, but I'm sure UDC could work out something where they'd charge you an upgrade fee to swap the cranks out and they may even swap the tire out to whichever tire you wanted for free. Might be able to shave off $100 from those nimbus prices.
                          I'm different, yeah I'm different. I'm different, yeah I'm different. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by jbtilley View Post
                            You won't know until you call, but I'm sure UDC could work out something where they'd charge you an upgrade fee to swap the cranks out and they may even swap the tire out to whichever tire you wanted for free. Might be able to shave off $100 from those nimbus prices.
                            No, they will no longer do this because of low stock. So to customized to stuff that's not in the drop-down boxes you have to basically pay for the stock item and the custom item.

Comment

Wow. That's unfortunate. I guess it will become an option again once the spirit cranks are more plentiful.
                              Last edited by jbtilley; 2012-08-20, 01:50 PM.
                              I'm different, yeah I'm different. I'm different, yeah I'm different. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing.

Comment

> I'm not trying to knock the crank mounted rotors, but they have some issues that really can't be resolved. Sure, they are an easy retrofit, which is really why they are so cool, but there's a reason bikes have them mounted on the hub...

What are the disadvantages to crank mounted discs? Are they more easily damaged since they are outside the wheel? If so, why doesn't Kris Holm offer hubs compatible with discs because of the incompatibility with the geared hub? seems odd since very few people are going to get the geared hub.
                                Last edited by kahunacohen; 2012-08-20, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X