No announcement yet.

UNICON 17: Rumors and pre-planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you enter in any event or do you have to qualify?
    My youtube channel:CANMOREUNIPRODUCTIONS

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs

Comment

Originally posted by muni123 View Post
      Can you enter in any event or do you have to qualify?
      If it's like the last Unicon there are country limits for how many people can enter each event from each country, but that only affects a couple events. Additionally it's only an issue from the very well-represented countries like Germany and Japan so you should be fine.
      Retired. You can contact me at: belk.julia@gmail.com.

In a previous life:
      2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
      Team Unicycle.tv
      Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
      Monarch

Comment

So... Is here any people who can help with visa (invitation letter) for that dates or I should try tourist visa?
        Well balanced person
        My Facebook page

Comment

With Unicon being in North America for the first time in years, are there field limits for North Americans? If there is a need to qualify will the qualifying be at this year's NAUCC or at the North American Unicycling Convention in Montreal just before Unicon?

I realize this was partially answered above, but was curious if there are any more specifics yet.
          dave krack

http://www.butlerwobble.com

http://www.surlyspeedgoat.wordpress.com

Comment

First, I am very sorry, but there was a misunderstanding between Stefanie, who wrote the IUF newsletter, and us. Our original sentence was actually : "We are also proud of hosting the first North-American world convention in over 10 years, since 2002 in Washington!"

The host of NAUCC 2014 is yet to be decided, it will probably happen at NAUCC 2013. Monotréal is not planning on applying for it either, as you know the amount of work involved with Unicon is way enough for us.

Second, for qualifications, if there is any, they will be done at NAUCC 2013 indeed. This is one of the things we are currently discussing, but we will keep in touch with you Dave for sure. And of course, as soon as we have made a decision, it will be available to the public too. But as Julia mentionned, it only touches a couple of events, for a couple of very well-represented countries. Plus, it doesn't add much of complexity to the organization of the qualifying events, just slightly more to the management of results.
            Last edited by Hugo_Duguay; 2013-04-01, 04:43 PM.
            Québec's Unicycling Community : Monotréal

Comment

Thanks Hugo for the prompt reply!

Lost in translation is a common problem when organizing a big event.

We are truly excited that Unicon will be in North America for the first time since I've been riding. Truth be told, that's a big reason why we offered to host this year. This does all tie together.

One of our goals was to get the East Coast riders who have never been to a convention to NAUCC this year to experience a unicycling convention before next year's Unicon.

I did look over the .pdf for field limits from Unicon 16 and noticed that the Freestyle limits could be an issue for some if they choose not to attend this year. I also noticed that Flat and Street were limited to 20 per country. These are the events I could see more of an issue with if the Unicon 16 limits are in place.

I just wanted riders to be aware that for some disciplines they may need to qualify. Like it's been said, it's probably not much of an issue, but keeping competitors aware that one could exist was the intention.

We've had some West Coast riders send us messages asking questions and state that they may or may not attend this year. I just want to make sure that it's their choice for this year, but their choice could impact next year.

Once again, I can't wait for Unicon. July 28th I start getting ready.

One quick last plug and then back to Unicon rumors: the Early Bird registration option expires April 20th. That means a person must be paid to get the discounted rate of $85. After that, the rate goes up to $105 until mid June.

Thanks again for hosting Unicon. We look forward to seeing you this Summer and coordinating events the best we can to have people prepared for the next one!

So far we do have several East Coast riders who are registered who have not (to the best of my knowledge) ever been to a unicycling convention before.

These next 2 years will be great!
              dave krack

http://www.butlerwobble.com

http://www.surlyspeedgoat.wordpress.com

Comment

too many rules

First off I'm fairly new to unicycling and have never attended a unicon or a similar event but heres my question / comment. Please feel free to correct me or put me straight on what this is. Why does this need to be so much about competing, rules and being a level 13 superstar unicyclist. The way I see this is, is to make an event that appeals to ALL unicyclists regardless of how much experience an individual may or may not have. I'm not poo pooing all competition but have some events that do not require being a member of the international guild of mono wheel cyclists (or whatever it is called) like workshops, non competitive group rides, maybe an opening ceremony parade though downtown and venders. Being an event that only comes around once a year never in the same place make it appealing to as many people who can (or very interested learning) ride a unicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Projectsimpson View Post
                  ...have never attended a unicon or a similar event ...have some events ... like workshops, non competitive group rides, maybe an opening ceremony parade though downtown and venders. Being an event that only comes around once a year never in the same place make it appealing to as many people who can (or very interested learning) ride a unicycle.
                  There is some high level competition but for the most part it's just a bunch of unicyclists having fun! As you suggested above there will be workshops, non-competitive rides, etc. for all ages and abilities. As John Foss once said, think of it as summer camp.
                  - Kenny

Comment

First off I'm fairly new to unicycling and have never attended a unicon or a similar event but heres my question / comment. Please feel free to correct me or put me straight on what this is. Why does this need to be so much about competing, rules and being a level 13 superstar unicyclist. The way I see this is, is to make an event that appeals to ALL unicyclists regardless of how much experience an individual may or may not have. I'm not poo pooing all competition but have some events that do not require being a member of the international guild of mono wheel cyclists (or whatever it is called) like workshops, non competitive group rides, maybe an opening ceremony parade though downtown and venders. Being an event that only comes around once a year never in the same place make it appealing to as many people who can (or very interested learning) ride a unicycle.
                    Most big meets have the kinds of events you're referring to. But, overall the events do tend to be very competition-focused. A big part of the reason for that is that the non-competitive events don't draw people the way the competitive events do. The last UNICON had over 2000 riders, including me; I wouldn't have flown to Austria to meet up with other unicyclists and do a parade through town, and I'm sure that's true of most of the other participants.

You can enjoy Uni Nationals or UNICON without taking the competitions seriously, but you should expect that there is a pretty significant focus on the competitions, and some days there won't be a lot to do except participate in or watch competitions.

Unless you organize it yourself, of course!
                    Last edited by tholub; 2013-04-02, 01:07 AM.

Comment

First off I'm fairly new to unicycling and have never attended a unicon or a similar event but heres my question / comment. Please feel free to correct me or put me straight on what this is...
                      There is so many questions asked for the serious competitors, but most if not all go for the fun of the convention, meeting and riding with others

Keep in mind this is the world championship, and it happens only once every two year.

Comment

Why does this need to be so much about competing, rules and being a level 13 superstar unicyclist.
                        A fair question! It's always been called a convention (the IUF one), but it's always been hard to build the non-competitive side because the competitive events have so many requirements, in terms of facilities, schedule time and volunteer hours. So, while the convention stuff tends to get squeezed out, it's still the best part of these events for most competitors. By far. Yes, the competitions are fun, even if you aren't a contender, but that's only one aspect of going to these events.

BTW, it's competition events that also generate the most questions and discussion of details, because they all matter. The other stuff is so much easier to organize!
                        ...workshops, non competitive group rides, maybe an opening ceremony parade though downtown and venders.
                        While I'm not sure what they are planning in terms of a parade, the rest of those things are definitely going to be there. Usually there are daily group rides on road and dirt, lots of workshops and other stuff that's not a competition, even if it is. Like Beer Pong, Unicycle Sumo, and other fun stuff. Flaming Puck Hockey is also very likely.
                        John Foss
                        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Thanx eh!

Thank you everyone for the feedback and the insight its really appreciated . I live close to Montreal and hope that I can make it.

Comment

Hi!
                            Due to a tight budget, considering 3 tickets for oversea, I'll have to know a little bit more, before finally deciding to join the convention (but, as I wait longer, the total cost will be higher)

I find the information on the website a bit, ... cant find the right word.., hidden? Will I be illuminated after registering?

Is it so that the Marathon is on the 6. august, or is is it on the 10.? It will make a significant difference for me to know, considering travel planning.

And, due to the "competitions", where the "list including only the confirmed competitions. Subject to changes", are there any other competition potentially coming up/under planning? Or, might any get cancelled?

My main concern will be centered around the 10k and the marathon. Is it possible to say anything more about these? Mass starts? Group starts? repeated laps? one lap? from one point to another? up hill, down hill (advantage with brakes) or total flat? city streets? bike paths?
                            Of course, I do understand that it might have not been made any absolute decisions yet, but it would make a difference for me to know at the moment.

Any information?

Cato

Comment

Those are good questions, Tveit/Cato. But this is an old thread, and not a very direct way to communicate with the unicon organizers. I recommend you contact them directly (through the website?) as well, becuse your questions will apply to many attendees. Including me.

Since Unicons are so long, many riders are unable to attend the entire thing. So they must decide which part(s) they can, usually based on when the various competition events are planned. We need to know the most up-to-date situation for those. For best results, the organizers should not feel uncomfortable if things aren't completely scheduled yet, or may change. Just let us know what's going on. If there is a possible swap of dates for the Marathon, for instance, just post both days with a notice that it could end up being either one.
                              John Foss
                              www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Muni Cross Country (Aug 4, 2014)
                                Muni Uphill (Aug 4, 2014)
                                Muni Downhill (Aug 8, 2014)

These are the only dates I could find on the site.

They reserved track for the Track & Field Events, so they should be able to provide ballpark dates for that.

Similarly, they reserve basketball courts for that, and probably close down roads for the Marathon route.

If anyone has discovered dates, please post them here or let us know where we can find that information.
                                While you and I are having our cake-and-ice-cream party, the others are having a drink-the-blood-of-the-poor party in the back room. --[QUOTE=maestro8;1433130]

Comment

Working...
                                X