UNICON 17: Rumors and pre-planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hugo_Duguay View Post
    I hope to be able to make it too ! If only my mom would let me go...
    Me too
    max

Comment

Originally posted by uniShark View Post
      I really hope that's a joke.
      Originally posted by gohabsgo333 View Post
      Me too
      Guys...

Of course it's a joke. Along with Benoit Gonneville-Damme, I am in charge of the organization of Unicon 17. I was referring to the fact that we are young.

Québec's Unicycling Community : Monotréal

Comment

I have huge faith in the guys in charge of Unicon 17. So excited for 2014!
        Passionate flatland unicyclist from Pennsylvania in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo_Duguay View Post
          Guys...

Of course it's a joke. Along with Benoit Gonneville-Damme, I am in charge of the organization of Unicon 17. I was referring to the fact that we are young.

haha me too

It's still far, but I think I'd like to find a job in Montreal for that summer, so I can help out with everything!
          max

Comment

At Unicon in the marathon I ended up in the age group +19. Therefore me too!

I had expected to end up in -100
            Spruch aus einem chinesischen Unglückskeks: "Freude ist nur ein Mangel an Information!"
            http://www.youtube.com/user/InfiniteCyc

Comment

Originally posted by Into the blue View Post
              This is dangerously close to where Billy lives.
              I bet he won't show up.
              Originally posted by jaco_flans View Post
              So from July 21 to July 31. Nothing confirmed though yet!
              Please try to be in touch with the folks at the USA to see if you can avoid overlap. But if they don't have a location when you're choosing dates, too bad I guess.
              Originally posted by Alan Hogan View Post
              ... please spread the long distance events out. Unicon 16 had the 100k (which was really a XC obstacle course) only 2 days after the marathon
              You will hear from many special interests. This one of course makes perfect sense. I'll add to that, if you plan to have a 1000 meter descent in your Downhill race, don't put it the day before the Marathon, either.

Of course I know you don't have such "hills" around there. Figuring out schedules for these things is like a jigsaw puzzle; sometimes you get stuck with a less-than optimum schedule and you don't have a choice about it. Then the riders get to decide which events to enter, and which ones to whine about.
              Originally posted by jaco_flans View Post
              I'm taking notes of what everyone tells me We'll do our best to make it awesome!
              And I'm sure you will!
              Originally posted by scotthue View Post
              Obviously, the 100km race should be on the last day of Unicon. Hence the painfully close race dates.
              It's not obvious to me. I would have found that race just as easy to watch on any day of the convention. Also I notice they always seem to do the road racing in the Olympics in the first day or two.
              give a 10% discount off your entry for every event you volunteer to help with..... volunteer for to help with 10 events then you get in for free
              While I don't think the free part would work, he's definitely got a good idea there. People would have to commit to some sort of block of time, and then show up. But to "pay" all the volunteers we normally have, it would require higher registration fees.
              Yes, marathon. If the had started at 6 everybody whould have been in before it got dark.... if that wasnt an option they could have altered the course
              Believe it or not, in Italy there is actually more traffic on the roads at 6:00pm then at 8:00am. Changing the course would basically mean not crossing any "live" roads, or only doing it near the beginning of the race, when everyone is close together. I liked that it was a point-to-point race, but it makes the logistics quite a bit more complicated. A closed loop would be more boring.
              Originally posted by Kram Costello View Post
              How does one get into Unicon?
              Pay a registration fee and show up. Though there may be qualifications required for certain events, probably not as much as at this last Unicon. They had limitations on how many riders per country could enter certain things, like Freestyle, to keep it from taking forever. But North America doesn't attract as many riders as the middle of Europe, so the limitations will probably be minimal.
              John Foss
              www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Will they allow NAUCC to precede it in Montreal?

Where is NAUCC 2013?
                While you and I are having our cake-and-ice-cream party, the others are having a drink-the-blood-of-the-poor party in the back room. --[QUOTE=maestro8;1433130]

Comment

2013 is one year before 2014, so it's fine. For more info on NAUCC 2013, just google it, you'll find info.

Other than that, when you plan a big event like Unicon you don't have the other competitions in mind, what you have in mind is booking the word unicycling championships date places (all of them) for the same 2 weeks! You are not focused on if you are at the same time as other competitions.

For sure you don't aim to be at the same time than someone else, but if it happens, more people will go to unicon, you know what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                    It's not obvious to me. I would have found that race just as easy to watch on any day of the convention.
                    Made my day!

Also I notice they always seem to do the road racing in the Olympics in the first day or two.
                    ... while the running marathon was on the last day

Anyway it does not compare, since those athlets typically only go for one dicispline. In other ares like gymnastics, track running and swimming the times to recover are shorter. Between 10k final and 5k qualification there were four days.
                    Spruch aus einem chinesischen Unglückskeks: "Freude ist nur ein Mangel an Information!"
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/InfiniteCyc

Comment

Originally posted by emile View Post
                      ...when you plan a big event like Unicon you don't have the other competitions in mind, what you have in mind is booking the word unicycling championships date places (all of them) for the same 2 weeks! You are not focused on if you are at the same time as other competitions.
                      Naturally, you will get more people at Unicon XVII if you don't book it in conflict with the only other "big" unicycling event in North America. In truth, this mostly boils down to who books their facilities first. If NAUCC (or a better name) is already booked, you can try to work around it. If not, you can't really avoid non-booked dates...

And Billy (The Mountain), you really should go.
                      John Foss
                      www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

NAUCC 2013 is being referred to as 2013 Unicycle Nationals and will be in Butler County, Pennsylvania. Tentative dates are July 21-28, 2013.

As far as the name goes, we've had a lot of discussions about it. We know it's not entirely accurate as all of North America is welcome, but it's the best we could figure out for a few reasons:

1. 2013 implies to the public that it is recurring.
                        2. Nationals implies that the scope is much larger than just a local gathering.
                        3. 2013 Unicycle Nationals isn't nearly the mouthful that NAUCC 2013 is- and it gets most of what we're about in a concise format. Putting the date in front seems to help curtail it (a bit) from being shortened to an acronym that means little to those outside of unicycling.

I really like the name UNICON, but it's the international event. EUC is good, but it loses a lot to the general public once it hits the acronym stage.

Back to the general comments: NAUCC dates and locations vary depending on who offers to host the convention. At this point I don't believe anyone has thought much about NAUCC 2014. Due to Montreal being relatively close to the USA, I'm sure that no one thinking of hosting NAUCC wants a conflicting set of dates. UNICON will take precedence.

We offered to host the 2013 Unicycle Nationals because we want to be in Montreal for UNICON in 2014. We figured our proximity to Montreal (about a day's drive) would be beneficial to many East Coast and Mid-Atlantic riders who normally don't attend the USA (Unicycling Society of America) convention. If there is a need to qualify for UNICON events due to limited numbers of riders per event, those riders will have the opportunity to experience a unicycle convention and qualify for UNICON.

Personally, I'm really excited for Hugo and his organizing team in 2014. We're hoping to make 2013 Unicycle Nationals an awesome event in the meantime!
                        Last edited by unigoat; 2012-08-26, 04:10 PM.
                        dave krack

http://www.butlerwobble.com

http://www.surlyspeedgoat.wordpress.com

Comment

And Billy (The Mountain), you really should go.
                          If Billy goes, I'll go.

He owes me a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by unigoat View Post
                            NAUCC 2013 is being referred to as 2013 Unicycle Nationals and will be in Butler County, Pennsylvania. Tentative dates are July 21-28, 2013.

As far as the name goes, we've had a lot of discussions about it. We know it's not entirely accurate as all of North America is welcome, but it's the best we could figure out for a few reasons:

1. 2013 implies to the public that it is recurring.
                            2. Nationals implies that the scope is much larger than just a local gathering.
                            3. 2013 Unicycle Nationals isn't nearly the mouthful that NAUCC 2013 is- and it gets most of what we're about in a concise format. Putting the date in front seems to help curtail it (a bit) from being shortened to an acronym that means little to those outside of unicycling.

I really like the name UNICON, but it's the international event. EUC is good, but it loses a lot to the general public once it hits the acronym stage.
                            Is that name change final? Honestly, and I never thought I'd say this, I like U Games better.

1. 2013 is also in NAUCC 2013 (or U Games 2013)
                            2. North American also implies that the scope is much larger than just a local gathering.
                            3. This is the only valid reason, although it could be satisfied by a bunch of other names too.
                            4. Nationals is not accurate. The event is for everyone in North America.
                            5. "Unicycle Nationals" sounds horribly informal.
                            6. It doesn't address which nation it's actually in. This is probably fine when it's discussed in the United States, but anywhere else its completely subjective. Imagine this from a Canadians perspective:

person: Wow! Congrats on being the 2013 Muni National Champion! How does it feel to be the best in Canada?
                            rider: Ehm, it was actually in the United States.
                            person: but........you're Canadian?
                            rider: Well, it wasn't actually the US Nationals, it included all of North America.
                            person: So why is it called Nationals....?
                            rider: ......................

IMO, lengthy and cumbersome (NAUCC) is better than misleading.

I think the possibility of giving UNICON a wider usage should be discussed.
                            Originally posted by Julia B View Post
                            Yeah I thought about the unicon thing too, IMO it could work out really well. EUC does the same thing, EUC Summer edition, EUC winter edition, EUC american edition, ect. And I think doing that also promotes participation at the events better, because all the info for all of the EUCs is in the same place and under the same title so there's more cross-registration between events.

So the "unicon" title could be opened up a little bit, and sanctioned events (maybe events that follow the IUF Rulebook and have a full spread of competitions) could use unicon in the name and all be advertised through some central website, much like EUC. Thus NAUCC becomes UNICON North America, which is actually marketable. As far as I can tell, everyone benefits.
                            Retired. You can contact me at: belk.julia@gmail.com.

In a previous life:
                            2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
                            Team Unicycle.tv
                            Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
                            Monarch

Comment

Double post, sorry. Offtopic, sorry.

OR, we could just say that canadians, mexicans, and puerto ricans can compete but not win titles (how it already is for europeans) and call it United States UniNats (UniNats for short, when discussed in the US). Or, call it uniNAts (prounouced uninats North America) which still doesn't make sense when you think about it, but is more correct than Unicycle Nationals.

logo:
                              uniNAts
                              ....o.m
                              ....r.e
                              ....t.r
                              ....h.i
                              ......c
                              ......a
                              Retired. You can contact me at: belk.julia@gmail.com.

In a previous life:
                              2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
                              Team Unicycle.tv
                              Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
                              Monarch

Comment

Lucky me

I just started unicycling a few months ago and this Unicon is the closest one has ever been to me. I live in Toronto. I hope to go there as a spectator.
                                I think entering as a participant is dreaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X