No announcement yet.

Uhhh.... Unicon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to clear one thing up. The flatland competition was cancelled by Unicon organizers. Not IUF. I heard that the Unicon organizers were under a lot of stress from the down-hill competition. Then after hearing about competitors taking organizing the flatland event into their own hands, they threatened to cancel the competition. Not that surprised, we pissed them off when we poured soda on their (possibly free) icehall floor, but something had to be done... and at the end of it all, the best result possible was made, for the riders. They probably had some kind of deal to keep the place clean.

The only reason why I think the rumours around Unicon getting the icehall for free is because they were so strict around their house keeping rules. Even after we rode inside the gym leaving a few black marks on the floor, took maybe 10minutes to clean a few hours worth of riding off, the caretakers would stare at us with their beady dead eyes...

Don't know what to say really. So much anguish towards the Unicon organizers. I wish someone else organized it, but they didn't. So of course, thank you Unicon 16 organizing committee, without you, someone else would have done it, but no it was you, so thank you for bringing us all together.

I kind of wish I didn't win the street competition so I can say I paid 200 euros for nothing. The medals and awards are impressive. But they're all absolutely identical besides the small plaque on the front stating what competition it's from (no placing or name just competition), can't imagine that would cost a lot either.

Originally posted by gagou9 View Post
    as far as i know, it will soon be.
    by soon, i mean few weeks.
    That is exciting.
    Last edited by unicycledood; 2012-08-16, 11:41 PM.
    Sauron Zerg
    You're so noob you prehop before you prehop!
    Its not about the tricks you do, its how you use them

Ya'reeeee

Comment

• Originally posted by munirocks View Post
      What was that helicopter story on the Plose? Someone on the downhill having a serious crash?
      I left before it happened, but here's what I heard. Jamey Mossengren (I think he was riding a sweep of the "regular" downhill?) came across a rider that was either semi-conscious or conscious but throwing up, possibly because of a blow to the head. This may have been the rider that led to the helicopter being called, but according to Ken Looie later on, nobody was actually airlifted. I don't know anything beyond that but I'd like to know what happened and if the rider is all right!

Originally posted by unicycledood View Post
      ...we pissed them off when we poured soda on their (possibly free) icehall floor, but something had to be done...
      The soda thing only works for a few minutes; wouldn't be useful for long-term riding. Plus it's really messy! Not super hard to clean up though, but probably outside of the expected "wear and tear" to be expected by normal use. The icehall was the published location for Flatland. If nobody in the Flatland world realized an indoor ice rink would have a smooth concrete floor, it just means you weren't prepared. Indoor concrete is almost always really smooth.
      Originally posted by unicycledood
      They probably had some kind of deal to keep the place clean.
      Yes, probably a rental agreement that includes not trashing the place. Even normal use can be a lot of wear and tear with the numbers of riders we have at a Unicon.
      Originally posted by unicycledood
      The medals and awards are impressive. But they're all absolutely identical besides the small plaque on the front stating what competition it's from (no placing or name just competition), can't imagine that would cost a lot either.
      I'm pretty sure the Olympic medals are all identical too. Pretty lame, huh. labeling events on the awards is less a question of cost, and more a question of the extra complexity that's added in prepping the awards and organizing them for presentation. There are A LOT of awards at Unicon, and I think they were all prepared by the same small group of people. In the past we've sometimes had stickers on the backs of medals with the event details. The regular medals were possibly too small for the ones normally used.

I don't think Olympic medals have labels on the back either. But they are nice to have for the future; years later you may not remember what each one was for. Best to make your own label and stick it on the bottom of the glass ones, or back of the regular medals now, while the details are still fresh. This is based on my experience; I have a big box of medals from 30 years of unicycle competitions, and some are pretty generic looking so I don't even know what year they were from, let alone what events...
      Last edited by johnfoss; 2012-08-18, 06:41 AM.
      John Foss
      www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
        I left before it happened, but here's what I heard. Jamey Mossengren (I think he was riding a sweep of the "regular" downhill?) came across a rider that was either semi-conscious or conscious but throwing up, possibly because of a blow to the head. This may have been the rider that led to the helicopter being called, but according to Ken Looi later on, nobody was actually airlifted. I don't know anything beyond that but I'd like to know what happened and if the rider is all right!
        I'm not sure it was me that said that, I certainly don't remember

Someone told me it was a rider with a head injury, and I would have thought if they'd gone to the trouble of sending a helicopter, they would have taken the patient.
        Adventure Unicyclist

Alps 2 Ocean

Unistan: The Uzbekistan Unicycle Tour

Induni: The India Unicycle Tour

Monguni: The Mongolia Unicycle Tour

Comment

• Originally posted by tholub
          you still have the problem that Unicycle=Circus, so until you've done more explaining, people will assume that the competitions will be things like juggling or bowl-flipping.
          It depends who you talk to.
          If that's a 16 year old skateboarder you will hear; yes I saw it on youtube.
          If that's a 40 years old basketballer you get the question "how does that competition look like?".
          If you say it to a 60 year old bowler, you'll probably do not get a return question at all.
          ...while bowling has the exact same exciting factors as Standard Skills!

Originally posted by tholub
          I'm not an expert on branding or anything, but I can say that "U Games" is better from a publicity standpoint than any of the other names in use.
          Probably because the name does not reveal anything that would make the viewer zap, but creates new curiousity. Content is just glue between the commercials that the station (or magazine) runs on.

Originally posted by tholub
          Consider: I bet Travis Pastrana thinks "X Games" is a corny name.
          It's just a name, and should be sticky. Like "Burning man".

Originally posted by Hugo_Duguay
          Please guys, don't scare us too much for Montreal 2014 !
          Ha, well I guarantee you wont be perfect either, and it will be impossible to please every single one all the time. But I'm looking forward to see a brave attempt.

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
          Standard Skill is based on the rules of Artistic Bicycling.
          ...where never video judging was applied. I've recorded ALL routines with a wide-angle lens. Other volunteers did recorded with other lenses from two other positions. I often saw it is important to have good reference points in the "virtual lining", at least 3 points, to better determine how good or bad a straight line was.
          I have not competed nor judged in standard skills in any IUF or non-IUF event or the past 3 UNICONs. However, as the camera-guy for that event I'd like to be part of the rulebook committee again, and (again?) suggest better lining. The incomplete and inconsistent draft / sketch looks like this:
          Attached Files
          unicycle.show
          unicycle.blog
          unicycle.builders
          +1 866 UNI-CYCL

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
            I think you got that backwards. From every report I've heard, USA Cycling doesn't want to have anything to do with unicycling. Back when they were the USCF, they never responded to any of my inquiries about unicycling. They still don't seem willing to consider thinking outside a two-wheeled box. It's kind of embarrassing, when the country that developed much of the IUF and Unicon's early structure can't even get an officially-recognized national unicycling organization (that is, connected to the UCI, FIAC or IOC).
            I think that backwards is backwards... Your experience on national level may be true, however in my country there was an opening. And in regards to the last part of your statement, on international level; I heard past UNICON that UCI people for a second time were willing to have a real face-to-face dialog, but the IUF didn't (or couldn't, at least not represented by Ryan). The first time would have been a meetup during the worldchampionship artistic cycling with the president who was a former artistic bicyclist himself (so more aware of one wheel riders).

Originally posted by johnfoss
            I don't know what Leo's talking about either. There was no water on the Freestyle floor at any time I was present, which was during all Freestyle age groups. Did something happen during one of the breaks?
            When last female Standard Skill competitor came to the area, the roof had start to leaking at several places. And at that point also inside (at the edge) of the tight riding area. She was a top rider, with much competition experience, who calmly decided to try to finish the entire event, despite this water that other competitors did not suffer.

It's not like the USA is slighting Mexico or anything
            Oh, no, it was not any kind of accusation, or anything in that genre, just a wish. I just find it strange that such a large population does not seem to have enough people/facilities to make that happen (...yet).

Uh, ESPN is a TV network. No sports organization tells a TV network what to present.
            In contrast to a UNICON where a organizer seems to be obligated to schedule all events in the IUF rulebook. (?)

I think that would be great too. In fact I'd love to be one of the riders! But it sounds awfully expensive. This is where you need strong sponsors to fund it. Unicycling needs to be more attractive to sponsors.
            The Rabobank does this for bicycle trial in NL.
            The "Ra" part in Rabobank stands for Raiffaisen; sponsor of UNICON 16.

Originally posted by munirocks View Post
            What was that helicopter story on the Plose? Someone on the downhill having a serious crash?
            That rider was Galina, mentioned earlier in this thread as possible winner if there was a leg-injury competition. I was also close behind her, and got seriously worried when she did not know whether her knee or ankle was hurting. After all it didn't seem that bad as at first sight, but she got a cast around her entire leg, probably not for no reason. So I hope she'll recover well.
            Someone elses cast is in this pictures that shows the typical mentality of unicyclists in general at best...
            Attached Files
            unicycle.show
            unicycle.blog
            unicycle.builders
            +1 866 UNI-CYCL

Comment

• Originally posted by unicycledood View Post
              I kind of wish I didn't win the street competition so I can say I paid 200 euros for nothing.
              I find this a strange wish, and to me translates somewhat negative. I rather wished you got a little more in return of it.
              This (again new) version of the story does not mention what the considerations were to drop the event. Was there a valid reason? Or did they do this just for no reason?

Originally posted by unicycledood View Post
              Don't know what to say really. So much anguish towards the Unicon organizers. I wish someone else organized it, but they didn't. So of course, thank you Unicon 16 organizing committee, without you, someone else would have done it, but no it was you, so thank you for bringing us all together.
              I think what counts are intentions. I don't think they had any bad intentions, but were either not experienced enough or too occupied at the moment that unforeseen or unexpected or undesired factors kicked in.
              And yes; I'm thankful they had the guts to bring the international unicycling family together.

If nobody in the Flatland world realized an indoor ice rink would have a smooth concrete floor, it just means you weren't prepared. Indoor concrete is almost always really smooth.
              I agree entirely on the "not prepared" part. I find this norm strange; in trial I see people with totally unsuitable tires very often, but then nobody is complaining, because then suddenly it's own responsibility or a challenge or called a competition element.
              I'm not sure since when the flatland location was announced to be the ice-hall; the event director came to Italy in advance to scout locations, and I believe (but not 100% sure) that the fact that ice-hall was (or could be) problematic was discussed, and so alternatives were already then evaluated.

In the past we've sometimes had stickers on the backs of medals with the event details. The regular medals were possibly too small for the ones normally used.
              Yes, or medals that did not tell anything about which it event it was.
              But the regular medals from the past certainly were too small;
              they were so small that this rider had to bend to fit into it!!!
              Attached Files
              unicycle.show
              unicycle.blog
              unicycle.builders
              +1 866 UNI-CYCL

Comment

• Originally posted by tholub View Post
                "North American Unicycle Championships" is still terrible. First of all, as you've noted, it's not really all of North America
                I think for the USA Unicycling Competition, we need to find the equivalent of World Series (like the USA does for their baseball championship games) or Superbowl (like the USA does for their football championship games).

Maybe the USA should call its Uni games the World Superbowl of Unicycling!!!
                While you and I are having our cake-and-ice-cream party, the others are having a drink-the-blood-of-the-poor party in the back room. --[QUOTE=maestro8;1433130]

Comment

• Unicycle National Competition
                  UNC or UNiCycle
                  Couldn't think of a good "i" word haha

I also really prefer U Games to NAUCC
                  Last edited by hunterthompson; 2012-08-20, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyTheMountain View Post
                    Maybe the USA should call its Uni games the World Superbowl of Unicycling!!!
                    I think you mean the USA Superbowl, yes? But I do like the "Uni Games" part. If people want something that sounds less like X Games I would start with that.

Originally posted by GizmoDuck View Post
                    Someone told me it was a rider with a head injury, and I would have thought if they'd gone to the trouble of sending a helicopter, they would have taken the patient.
                    Me too. Must have been somebody else told me the non-transport part. I think it was you who said it would be unlikely to need a helicopter for a non-head injury unless it was really major trauma? Not for things like a leg or ankle injury?

Leo, do you know if Galina actually got transported in the helicopter?

Originally posted by leo View Post
                    ...where never video judging was applied. I've recorded ALL routines with a wide-angle lens. Other volunteers did recorded with other lenses from two other positions. I often saw it is important to have good reference points in the "virtual lining", at least 3 points, to better determine how good or bad a straight line was.
                    I don't know your opinion of it, but I think the idea of video judging is crazy. Unless you have really high-definition video so you can see if a rider's toe is touching the tire, etc. Otherwise your ability to judge accurately will be limited by the video, not your eyes. Making videos to record the action is another story, but then I think I'd rather see Freestyle videos first...

Originally posted by leo View Post
                    I think that backwards is backwards... Your experience on national level may be true...
                    It's true, but only refers to the USCF (USA Cycling) and not to UCI or other organizations.
                    Originally posted by leo
                    When last female Standard Skill competitor came to the area, the roof had start to leaking at several places.
                    Oh, Standard Skill. That was several days later, and I was definitely not there. I respect you for being there to video. Was there live judging, or did the judges rely on the video?
                    Originally posted by leo
                    I just find it strange that such a large population does not seem to have enough people/facilities to make that happen (...yet).
                    Are you talking about Mexico or Canada? Canada has lots of great unicyclists, but also no national organization. For Mexico we're happy to start off with some attendance! I know there are unicyclists in Mexico, but not any Mexican USA members during the times I was more involved. And no Mexican convention attendance that I remember.
                    Originally posted by leo
                    In contrast to a UNICON where a organizer seems to be obligated to schedule all events in the IUF rulebook. (?)
                    Neither of which is a TV network so the comparison is meaningless. There is a section in the rulebook where it gives a rough outline of what events the host is obligated to provide. Beyond that, the key point is that the host has either agreed, or not agreed to do this.
                    Originally posted by leo
                    Someone elses cast is in this pictures that shows the typical mentality of unicyclists in general at best...
                    I can think of some funny captions for that picture. Also I know a unicyclist who cut off his own ankle cast (from a unicycle injury). This probably contributed to a worse-than-optimum recovery. He had reduced range of motion, etc. Advice: If you're riding a 6' giraffe in a parade, in the rain, downhill, don't start riding 1-foot.
                    Originally posted by leo
                    But the regular medals from the past certainly were too small; they were so small that this rider had to bend to fit into it!!!
                    So I guess we will all have that problem with our Unicon IX medals; trying to remember what they were for...
                    Last edited by johnfoss; 2012-08-20, 12:19 AM.
                    John Foss
                    www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Originally posted by leo View Post
                      That rider was Galina, mentioned earlier in this thread as possible winner if there was a leg-injury competition. I was also close behind her, and got seriously worried when she did not know whether her knee or ankle was hurting. After all it didn't seem that bad as at first sight, but she got a cast around her entire leg, probably not for no reason. So I hope she'll recover well.
                      She showed me the pic. It looks terrible. I'm surprised she didn't have an operation and said nothing was fractured, because it was dislocated.

I hope she got a CT back in Denmark, because I've never seen anyone dislocate an ankle without breaking it. Is it even possible?
                      Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2012-08-20, 01:48 AM.
                      Adventure Unicyclist

Alps 2 Ocean

Comment

• I'm sure I was more pissed when I was actually in Italy dealing with all this. But now I'm over it. This thread got wayyyy too long though, I'm not going to wade through my old posts.

Anyway, some very interesting tangents came up.

First, I think we have WAY too many events (not to mention age groups). Really it just encourages medal-whoring.

Second, NAUCC sucks as a name. But U Games isn't great either, we need to come up with something original (easier said than done, I know) that doesn't sound like a cheesy X games knock off. I think the way to go is to add uni to some other word (unicon, unifest).
                        Retired. You can contact me at: belk.julia@gmail.com.

In a previous life:
                        2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
                        Team Unicycle.tv
                        Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
                        Monarch

Comment

• Originally posted by Julia B View Post
                          Second, NAUCC sucks as a name. But U Games isn't great either, we need to come up with something original (easier said than done, I know) that doesn't sound like a cheesy X games knock off. I think the way to go is to add uni to some other word (unicon, unifest).
                          That's an interesting thought.

UNICON is a great name. It's doesn't sound too cheesy, and although there are other types of conventions out there (Comic-CON and other Sci/Fi fantasy 'cons'), it doesn't sound copied either.

Is there any reason, apart from historical, why UNICON has to be 'The' UNICON? There could be a World UNICON (to denote the World Championsps and Convention), and then national UNICONs, eg UNICON Nth America or UNICON Europe. (although EUC sounds ok, as does the Australian Uninats. APUC sounds like an economics conference however).

Having the UNICON trademark in various countries was one of the last things we talked about on the IUF committee before UNICON, but as yet, we haven't trademarked anything. It would be a good use of funds I think.
                          Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2012-08-20, 06:26 AM.
                          Adventure Unicyclist

Alps 2 Ocean

Comment

• Originally posted by GizmoDuck View Post
                            That's an interesting thought.

UNICON is a great name. It's doesn't sound too cheesy, and although there are other types of conventions out there (Comic-CON and other Sci/Fi fantasy 'cons'), it doesn't sound copied either.

Is there any reason, apart from historical, why UNICON has to be 'The' UNICON? There could be a World UNICON (to denote the World Championsps and Convention), and then national UNICONs, eg UNICON Nth America or UNICON Europe. (although EUC sounds ok, as does the Australian Uninats. APUC sounds like an economics conference however).

Having the UNICON trademark in various countries was one of the last things we talked about on the IUF committee before UNICON, but as yet, we haven't trademarked anything. It would be a good use of funds I think.
                            Yeah I thought about the unicon thing too, IMO it could work out really well. EUC does the same thing, EUC Summer edition, EUC winter edition, EUC american edition, ect. And I think doing that also promotes participation at the events better, because all the info for all of the EUCs is in the same place and under the same title so there's more cross-registration between events.

So the "unicon" title could be opened up a little bit, and sanctioned events (maybe events that follow the IUF Rulebook and have a full spread of competitions) could use unicon in the name and all be advertised through some central website, much like EUC. Thus NAUCC becomes UNICON North America, which is actually marketable. As far as I can tell, everyone benefits.
                            Retired. You can contact me at: belk.julia@gmail.com.

In a previous life:
                            2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
                            Team Unicycle.tv
                            Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
                            Monarch

Comment

• Originally posted by GizmoDuck View Post
                              She showed me the pic. It looks terrible. I'm surprised she didn't have an operation and said nothing was fractured, because it was dislocated.

I hope she got a CT back in Denmark, because I've never seen anyone dislocate an ankle without breaking it. Is it even possible?
                              Arapantly thats a common hill walkers injury here???
                              Unicycling in the Scottish Highlands

"Unicycle into the Skye" unicycle tour Scotland June 2015

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/Highland.Unicyclist

Comment

• Wowzers, this thread really exploded since I last logged in to the forums. But that's a good thing as there are some great ideas and suggestions here, thanks Julia for starting it. I just wish the title to it was more accurate cause "Uhhhh....Unicon?" is terrible and there might be lots of people that should be reading this but might not ever click on it. Julia next time please come up with a better title like "Unicon 16's Problems, Complaints, Issues" or "Suggestions for a Better Unicon" or something along those lines. Is there anyway to change it now or is it too late?

Names of Unicycle Championships
                                There has been a lot discussed here (and in the past) regarding what the best name should be for NAUCC and Unicon. I don't think anyone has yet to come up with the perfect name but some are better than others. Much of this is personal preference and opinion, but some are better for the non-unicycling public and for media and sponsorship. I actually like U Games (or Uni Games) as it makes the public relate it to something hardcore like X Games. Whenever I said I was going to compete at U Games, I would say it's just like X Games but on unicycles. Very easy to get someone to kinda understand that it's a serious sport and not just clowns and circus. Yes, it's a rip off of X Games but I'm totally fine with that.

2013 Unicycle Nationals is pretty good. Simple, short and too the point. I think 2013 North American Unicycle Championships is better but starts getting too long. NAUCC is terrible but good for details and maybe medals and anything official.

As for Unicon, I think World Unicycle Championships is the best. Whenever I tell someone I am competing or I won a medal, I always say "at the World Unicycle Championships". I don't say, "I got a gold medal at Unicon" as any non-unicycler would have no idea what I was saying. So IMHO I think we should start calling it the World Unicycle Championships.

Helicopter Story
                                I'm still not sure what happened with the helicopter but I can tell you my side of the story. I did my run of the DH Expert and immediately had to go back up to return some shin pads I borrowed. Once back at the top I was told I couldn't ride down the expert course again until the comp was over (which makes sense) and I didn't want to ride the gondola down as then I'd have to ride up the bottom hill to get to the finish line. So I decided to ride down another non-comp trail which was great fun. But somewhere along the line I must have taken a wrong turn as half way down it spat me out on the DH Normal track with competitors. So I kept going down making sure to stay out of any riders way and not to interfere in anyway whatsoever.

I came around a corner and saw a young girl laying on the ground with two other riders with her. I stopped to see if she was OK and immediately noticed she wasn't. Her eyes were rolling back and she did not look good. The other riders stopped racing to help her out when they saw her and didn't know what happened, if she fell and hit her head of if she just fell due to exhaustion or dehydration. We tried to give her water and I really didn't know what to do. Looking back I should have raced down to the finish line and told the paramedics as it was less than a km to the finish line. But I had no idea that we were that close. Luckily more hikers came down the trail and one had a walkie talkie so he radio'd it in. It seemed like forever for the paramedics to get there and in the meantime she was vomiting some really nasty dark stuff. The paramedics arrived and took her out on a stretcher with their off road vehicle. I rode down to the finish and like 10 minutes later I saw a helicopter come. I have no idea if it was for her and if it was, if she got in it. I also have no idea what happened to her and if she's OK, but hoping so. Anyone know? It felt great to see those two unicyclers who gave up their race to help a fellow rider out and I'd hope all unicycle riders would do the same.
                                http://www.uniproshow.com

One Love Unicycle Club (Coming to Denver soon...)

Comment

Working...
                                X