I want a new one!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a new one!!!

Ok so I've currently got a 20" Nimbus which I love but I want to ride to work and the 2 1/2 miles takes too long on such a small wheel! I want to get a 36" eventually but only have a budget of about 200 and you can't get very much for that.

So... Do I get a bare basics 36", a 29" or even 26?
    Advice please....don't have much experience in the larger wheel sizes!
    People ask me what happens if I fall off?

I don't like falling off... I'm not yet sure if this is good or bad for uni...

I love the terrific bruises you get tho!!! (Irony lol)

Here is a few questions to ask your self
    Do you have a place to store a large wheel at work and home?
    Lots of stop and go stuff?
    How fast could you go?
    Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan

Comment

There is a big price jump from a 29" and a 36". The 29" would give you a much higher top speed than your 20", but it is easy to learn. I find the 36" to be another step up in cost and difficulty.

I would suggest a 29", which is a reasonable commuter. You will probably end up with a 36" eventually if you want to ride more distance, but a 29" is a very useful size.

Scott

Comment

I would go with a 29er first. Im agreeing with the rest of the guys. 36ers are hard to learn and 29ers are a great mix of speed and maneuverability.

Comment

+1 for the 29er, since you have a low budget, and 2,5 miles is not that far.

A 29er is already a big improvement over a 20", and you will be happy with it a long time.

In the mean time save the money for the 36er you want most, you will buy it only once (I guess).
          36" KH Muni, 2.25" Racing Ralph, 137/165 Moments
          29" Qu-ax MUni, 2.4" Racing Ralph, 145mm quax alu
          24" Qu-ax MUni, 3.0" Gazza, 145 Qu-ax alu.
          26" KH Guni, 2.25" Rocket Ron, zero, T bar

Comment

Ok so my partner said I can get one of these.. yay!!!

I'm going for 29" as it's not too big/expensive but big enough that 2.5 miles should be quite easy right?

So I'm looking at these ones on unicycle.uk.com:

1. 29" Nimbus Road Unicycle: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles...blackisis.html

Price: 245.00. This one is cool black and I like nimbus as I currently have a nimbus unicycle and it has served me well. I DONT like the fact that the frame is rounded....

2. 29" Qu-Ax 'Crossfire' Unicycle: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/29-qu-ax-...nicycle-3.html

Price: 194.00. I like the fact that this one has a squared frame and says it can stand up to a bit of light offroad usage should I wish to use it that way in future. Does the fire on the sides look lame? One downside is that this unicycle is 1.1kg heavier than the nimbus at 7kg.

Thoughts????

Comment

The Qu-ax is pretty cool. You can always take off the stickers as they do look quite lame...
              Why don't you like the rounded? I have the Nimbi Drak and it has the rounded. You don't hit your knees on it and the only thing I see a square frame good for is frame tricks which I doubt you would be doing on a 29er
              The price difference is significant. Do you know if either of them are double walled rims? Also the saddle. Have you tried a Qu-ax saddle? Or the Nimbus gel? That could be a factor to pay attention to.

EDIT: I just looked at the road nimbi. It has the dominator rim which is probably the best rim Nimbus has to offer. And the road is ISIS. The quax comes with 145 cranks and the road comes with 125. 125s are going to be better for street riding. Also the rimdescripton on the quax seemed a bit vague. I'd probably go with the Nimbus if I were you. It will last as you've said your Nimbus has been good to you
              Last edited by MP Uni; 2012-02-20, 09:36 PM.
              It's called a Muni ride, not a Muni walk ... If you're not tired at the end of a MUni ride, you're doing something wrong. - Tholub -

Unicycles: 19" Koxx One Black Domina II, 29" Nimbus Drak equipped with custom center-pull brake system

Comment

Either of the 29" unicycles look fine. You will want a road tire if you are on pavement.

I was surprised to find the UDC 36" for only a little bit more.

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles...-unicycle.html

There is a $100 difference between the two unicycles at the US UDC store.

Comment

Look at your age and then look at the ages of the people recommending a 29er. You're young. It's easy to learn to ride a 36" unicycle. People on 36" unicycles always wait for people on 29" unicycles. There is a dramatic difference in speed between the two sizes. Don't hold back. Go for it.
                  -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

If what you really want is a 36, get a 36. The amount of money between the 29 or the 36 isn't that large. If you picked up a 29, it's going to be harder to justify a 36 down the road, then you will be forever sad

Comment

Get the 29'', maintain it, keep it nice, then sell it when you want a 36''. Makes sense.

36''s are kinda awkward and yeah a bit more pricey, what if you don't like it? Chances are you're going to love the 29'' because you'll be comparing it to the speed of the 20''.

Listen to me, I'm a street rider. We know best. (I've never ridden either of these sizes for more then a few revolutions lolz) Actually I think the only time I've ever tried a 36'' was when I was testing out someones shlumpf.
                      Last edited by unicycledood; 2012-02-21, 01:30 AM.
                      Sauron Zerg
                      You're so noob you prehop before you prehop!
                      Its not about the tricks you do, its how you use them

Ya'reeeee

Comment

If all you ever want to do is ride to work, then get the 29". Especially if there is any traffic. Easier to mount etc. Specifically the Qu-Ax because you like the look more, it's cheaper, and will probably last just as long.

But you should actually just get the 36", because you know you want too. You won't be able to justify buying one later after you by a 29". The UDC or the Qu-Ax don't seem to cost too much more.
                        ~Jeff
                        NAUCC 2011 Marathon Last Place!
                        UNICON 16 100km 2nd-Last Place!

Comment

FYI:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...55#post1505555

Comment

Originally posted by anton005 View Post
                            If what you really want is a 36, get a 36. The amount of money between the 29 or the 36 isn't that large. If you picked up a 29, it's going to be harder to justify a 36 down the road, then you will be forever sad
                            hahaha... I will get both eventually regardless of which I get first :-P. Once Me and my partner have bought a house with a garage (Still a year or so off yet *sigh*) he said I can buy as many as I like (In return he can spend as much as he likes on two wheeled bikes!). So I'll eventually have an entire collection in my garage *stares dreamily off into the distance....*

Anyways.... If I were to get the 36" the only one I can afford is the UDC road unicycle here: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles...-unicycle.html

Is this a reliable choice if I were to go this way?

Comment

Reading all the previous posts i'd too recommend the 29".
                              The Nimbus looks strong enough to do some light Muni or XC (the big apple tire is wide), you won't need the square shoulders and you definitely won't miss the 1.1 kg.
                              And, if you have the money, get a schlumpf hub.

Greetings

Byc

P.S.: Maybe the QX would be what you want, but that's out of stock right now on the uk-site of UDC.
                              Wichtig ist nur:
                              "Beim Auffallen nicht Umfallen,
                              beim Umfallen nicht Auffallen."

Qu-Ax Luxus 20"
                              Qu-Ax Luxus 24"
                              Qu-Ax/Nimbus 26" Muni
                              KH 36" Muni

Comment

Working...
                              X