Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plethora of fat tires, time for some more fat frames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s there any use for the 4", 4"+ tyres other than snow/sand?
    I tend to reach for the Oregon/Larry when things get slimy/sloppy, which is during our winter time/rainy season. The fat tire is really great at maintaining contact, esp over wet roots and rocks. I don't find it to be all that big, esp in comparison to a Gazz 3.0 and it's certainly not any heavier than a typical 3" tire.

It does take more energy to lug about a fat tire on the trails, but that certainly beats slipping and sliding and the increased UPD rate if I ride the 29er on those same slimy trails

I think it's a good thing to have in the quiver, keeps you riding when conditions are not uni friendly
    I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

bump! any one ride the 45 north yet. i got a Oregon in the mail and was thinking about getting a 45north because i can get it cheep!
      Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan

Comment

Where? I thought that they were coming out in December.
        My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

Just bumping this thread...

The tire choices are growing, but we need the frames to match. The Oregon is not a bad frame, but the legs are kinda wide. I Think the Oregon could easilly be narrowed and still have plenty of tire clearance.

One thing I'd add about "bowlegged riding" is that the current 100mm hub spacing running KH Moments is about the same pedal position as a typical mt bike, so no really wide at all.

If we had an S frame design like the Surly but with more clearance, that would be the ticket. I'd like to see an aluminum "hydroformed" frame like Specialized is building.

bump! any one ride the 45 north yet. i got a Oregon in the mail and was thinking about getting a 45north because i can get it cheep!
          How much?
          Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2011-11-24, 11:03 PM.
          I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

I am not working till the 3rd i think i will find out how much then. I am ordering a N26 after i get paid and after i sell my bike a oregon.
            Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan

Comment

Bringing the thread back to life, as it seems that 45Nrth is releasing a 24" version of the 4" wide Husker Du.

That should be a bless for all 24" Surly Conundrum owners out there ( like me.. )

Source

Arrivals, according to source, after the snow melts, 2012..

Anyone's got more info about it?

Comment

I think that's a typo, but hopefully not.

I sent them an e-mail.
                My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post
                  I think that's a typo, but hopefully not.

I sent them an e-mail.
                  Yes it was, page corrected

Comment

On the subject of fat tyres/frames...

There's also the Monster Uni from UDC, it's a 20x4.25 inch beast. Makes quax "muni" 20 (creepy crawlerlook tyre) and feel tiny! The frame legs bow in a lot on the Monster, does that effect frame strength?

Comment

i wouldn't worry about frame strength on that uni.

On i side note. A friend of mine is wanting to buy me a oregon so he can put his products on it

Comment

45NRTH Husker Du on a conundrum

I need to get out for a ride - report to follow

Comment

Beautiful uni my friend

Comment

I agree with Dane M - Those Conundrums are awesome, shame they seem to be collectable antiques now. I wish I had an excuse to buy a fat uni, nowhere round here seems to require it
                            “It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Comment

With the tires pumped up around 20psi - you can ride all year on dirt. I do the same with my Salsa Mukluk. They are a blast and are well worth owning in any climate. (thanks for the compliments - I love that unicycle, I have a 24" as well that will get the new 45NRTH 24" tire as soon as it is available)

Comment

Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
                                I wish I had an excuse to buy a fat uni, nowhere round here seems to require it
                                I think the same thing every day.

Comment

Working...
                                X