Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressive mate.

That's one more of you.

Your smile in that second pic is priceless.
    Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
    If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
    harper
    MikeFule Seager BluntRM
    NAMASTE!
    Dave

Comment

An inspiration to us already-unicyclists! Gives new meaning to the idea of one-foot riding...
      John Foss
      www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

One day I've seen one legged cyclist passing me by and I've told myself that I will ride whatever happens. You big guy show that it is really possible! Good luck!
        http://vooni.kkdt.org My unicycling adventures including RomUni ride.

Comment

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great!!!!!!!!!! That is amazing.

Thank you for the pictures.
          Regards,
          Ken

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
          26" inexpensive travel.

Comment

Awesome stuff! Do tell more. What's the most difficult bit about riding? Is UPD manageable?
            -------------------------------
            Team-Uni:: Unicycle Shop and Workshops
            http://www.team-uni.com

Colorfully Constipated Stories
            http://www.ipooprainbows.com

Comment

Fantastic ComradeJosef! It's a great inspiration! Love your smile in second pic!
              Last edited by jiivan; 2011-06-15, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the support everyone! I appreciate all of the encouragement! How about I answer a few of the questions I saw.

Harper - Yes I used to ride before all this crap started. I'd say I was about a level 3.5 at my best but I used to ride at least 3-5 miles a day. Now I'm at about 200ft! I didn't even think of the whole missing wheel/missing leg thing. I'm going to have fun with that one.

mbalmer - I'm lucky to have only lost my leg below the knee. Above knee would probably be much harder...and I would love to see somebody do it! I'm sad to hear that he passed away but it sounds like he appreciated life to the fullest while he was here. I'm from California but now I live just outside of Orlando.

TheRhino - The injury was from a motorcycle accident. I had all my gear on, following the rules, etc when a careless driver hit me. My leg was severely broken but that was the only notable injury besides ginormous bruises everywhere from a crash landing. Strangely enough though, I had an appointment with the army recruiter that was cancelled for my first salvage surgery. Now they don't want me.

casey pappalardo - I wouldn't take that as rude at all, no worries. My balance is still here but my center of balance is off now! Re-learning that has been interesting

johnfoss - One leg, one wheel! I have a vision of riding and juggling bowling pins. Part way through I reach down and remove the leg and ride one footed whilst now juggling the leg...

flususmaximus - It wasn't as hard to ride as I though it would be even with my limited time on my new leg. I'm still trying to figure out how to free mount. I can't quite put my full weight on it yet so it is a little bit tricky. Also when I reach the top of the crank my leg has come off a few times. More weight on that pedal should take care of that. UPD's haven't been a problem. I got enough UPD training in my years of riding to have a plan. Plus my right leg is massive from hopping and going around on crutches for so long.

I've always been compelled to find new/different hobbies and master them. Before this I was starting my career as a motorcycle road racer. I'll be back there too. Look up the Warrior Dash and the Tough Mudder races. I'll be there.

There's definitely more to come once I build up strength again. It was amazing, I really was loving the ride. I emailed the pictures to my prosthetist and they were amazed as well. Their response was literally an application to work for them in their Amputee Empowerment Partner program. Not too bad if I do say so myself.

Thanks again for all the support! If you have questions, ask away!
                Last edited by ComradeJosef; 2011-06-15, 03:25 PM.

Comment

This is so incredibly awesome. Words fail me!

If there was a unicycling hall of fame I'd say your picture should be in there.

Join Unicyclemap.com!
                  ----
                  [ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
                  ----
                  onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers

Comment

That's amazing! Congrats, and keep it up.

Comment

You're my hero, keep it up

Comment

One strong will and spirit. Hugely inspirational for sure. Onward!

Comment

Very impressive - both in skill and attitude.

There's a one-legged bicyclist who often enters local audax events near me (and not just the easy ones). I've always been impressed by him as well - he's lost his leg pretty much at the hip, and rides with one crank and a stick/crutch that he clips onto the frame while riding. He's not that much slower than me, and I consider myself quite a decent cyclist!

These things can certainly be done given some determination. Well done.

Rob
                          "Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antopolski)

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

Wow that's inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

Do you have to compensate much with your other leg?

What do you Doctors think about this?
                            Adventure Unicyclist

Alps 2 Ocean

Unistan: The Uzbekistan Unicycle Tour

Induni: The India Unicycle Tour

Monguni: The Mongolia Unicycle Tour

Comment

Right on Brutha!!
                              Keep on gettin it.

Comment

GizmoDuck - I definitely have my right leg carrying more than it's share but I'm getting it more evened out. Finding my new centre of balance on the uni is strange but I'm getting that figured out too. My prosthetists thought it was awesome. My doctors...not so sure yet but I'm sure they wouldn't be completely surprised.

Here's what you've been waiting for. YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!!
                                Here's my first few, in order:
                                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJipzP_Ka2Y"]YouTube - ‪Amputee Unicyclist‬‏[/ame]
                                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CySLnwACs0"]YouTube - ‪Amputee Unicycling Like a Boss‬‏[/ame]
                                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyKtvZUr-9Y"]YouTube - ‪Amputee Unicyclist - Hard Unplanned Dismount‬‏[/ame]
                                The last one is the obligatory "Hard UPD that draws blood" If anyone can tell me how to make the video pause at around :15 in the last one to show the last frame of that video please tell me! The visual of the crash starting to go down is hilarious...and a bit painful.

Looks like I'll be taking a break for a few days. From now on armored legs it is!

Like a boss,

JSavala

Comment

Working...
                                X