Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Editing Contest - $100 first place!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by thestig View Post
    Terry, following on from Alister's question. Could you not upload the videos (not the raw footage, but the finished videos) from you HDD to mediafire or another file sharing site? This would make the quality a lot better and remove any need to remake.
    If I understand what you're saying, then that would be a gargantuan task! I have HUNDREDS of videos of 3-6 minutes each.

    Btw, I wanted to mention a few more guidelines and things to avoid:

    This contest is not for beginners, or those who just want to "try their hand at it", but for those using *professional* editing software and who have plenty of experience with it.

    Please avoid the use of "teaser" fadeouts, excessive use of slow motion, no "super-slowmo", no "flashing" effects, and no "coming soon" stuff. This is to be a compilation, not a trailer or teaser video.

    Please select music that has more of a rock feel, instrumentals are preferred but not mandatory. Avoid hip hop and/or rap, as that does not fit my style or age, haha.

    DO include as much variety as possible. Even though their would probably be an emphasis on MUni, since that is the main thing I do, please also include 36er riding; it can be both on and offroad, 29er, some of my "backyard" trials, like seen in my "Nokia" video, and some UCC footage. Please do not start until we have at least seven participants. I will then announce the official start of the contest. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-05-22, 02:37 PM.
    Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
    Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
    -Dani Buron


    Website
    Videos
    Facebook

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
      If I understand what you're saying, then that would be a gargantuan task! I have HUNDREDS of videos of 3-6 minutes each

      Haha, yeah I guess you're right.
      My YouTube channel

      Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
        You must have a high quality editing program such as Final Cut Pro, Vegas Pro, etc. No MM, haha.
        Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
        This contest is not for beginners, or those who just want to "try their hand at it", but for those using *professional* editing software and who have plenty of experience with it.
        I must caution you against being a software snob. You will attract people who can afford expensive software but may not know how to use it, and discourage gifted editors on low budgets.

        In photography contests, you will notice there is never a requirement on equipment used, just end product. Exceptions may be made when it's a contest to promote specific products.

        My first photography class in college used to start with everyone buying the same $5 camera, and being required to use it for the duration of that semester. The lesson? Great pictures are not taken by lenses, they're taken by photographers. Remove your software requirements and judge the outcome on the quality of what people put together.
        John Foss
        www.unicycling.com

        "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
          You will attract people who can afford expensive software but may not know how to use it, and discourage gifted editors on low budgets.
          You make a good point, but I did mention that they must have experience using the pro software. I would consider "prosumer" software, such as Final Cut Express, but not movie maker or the mac equivalent. If I did, then I wouldn't have any reason for the contest, since I am already very adept at editing with Movie Maker.
          Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-05-22, 11:10 PM.
          Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
          Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
          -Dani Buron


          Website
          Videos
          Facebook

          Comment


          • #20
            I'm sorry to say that I will no longer be able to participate in this contest. Good luck to everyone involved.
            My Website: www.Unitips.ca for trick tips and gear advice!

            Visit Municycle.ca Canada's online unicycle source!

            Check out the Municycle.ca Blog for news, tutorials and more!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by unihopper View Post
              I'm sorry to say that I will no longer be able to participate in this contest. Good luck to everyone involved.
              No problem, but thanks for letting me know. I realize this would be a pretty challenging undertaking, and not everyone would feel up to the task, or have the time necessary to commit to it. I get that. I'll just wait to see how things go, and if not enough people sign on, I will think about other options, like maybe a freelance professional editor, with experience in sports oriented material.

              Unfortunately, they will likely not know much about the sport of extreme unicycling, which is why I wanted to try this idea first, since the majority of the uni forum members have a first-hand understanding of our sport. But I only just posted this thread a day ago, so I'm willing to give it some reasonable time.
              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-05-23, 12:20 AM.
              Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
              Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
              -Dani Buron


              Website
              Videos
              Facebook

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                Please select music that has more of a rock feel, instrumentals are preferred but not mandatory. Avoid hip hop and/or rap, as that does not fit my style or age, haha.
                It sounds as if you want an upbeat, royalty-free style music like the stuff you use in many of your videos, correct?

                Hopefully some other people will be up for this... this is a great chance to practice editing.
                "Light a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

                "'Your' and 'You're' are sworn enemies. If you misplace them, it could lead to violence."


                My Youtube

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by AustinLee View Post
                  It sounds as if you want an upbeat, royalty-free style music like the stuff you use in many of your videos, correct?
                  That would be preferred, but youtube seems to have relaxed their policy regarding copyright music a bit, and haven't muted any copyrighted music I've uploaded in the last year or so. But if I'm not sure, I always upload a "test" video of short duration, in low res, just to see if they will mute the song I've chosen. If they do, it's pretty much immediate. That way, if they do, it saves me a whole lot of time having to delete a fully finished, look for another song, and upload again!

                  And I've been thinking that if I don't get that magic number seven, maybe I will just select a bunch of my favorite clips and look for one person to edit them together using something a lot better than Win MM.
                  Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-05-24, 01:19 AM.
                  Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                  Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                  -Dani Buron


                  Website
                  Videos
                  Facebook

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                    If I did, then I wouldn't have any reason for the contest, since I am already very adept at editing with Movie Maker.
                    I'd have to agree with John. An expensive video editor doesn't make it any more "professionally edited" than if it was made with a free editor. Your own videos are much more "professional" than most others. The skills (creativity, humour, artistry...) of the person doing the edit are much more important than the software used.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Slocan View Post
                      I'd have to agree with John. An expensive video editor doesn't make it any more "professionally edited" than if it was made with a free editor. Your own videos are much more "professional" than most others. The skills (creativity, humour, artistry...) of the person doing the edit are much more important than the software used.
                      Than for that vote of confidence Slocan. And I totally agree with you that substance trumps "flash" every time. But there's only so much I can do with movie maker. I really should take the time--LOTS of time--to get up to speed with and editing program that will allow me to do more, and have a more "polished" look to it.

                      This is where having adhd really makes it tough, but I'm sure that once I learned how to use it, it would really open up a whole mew world of possibilities for me. The difference between MM and something like Final Cut pro, imo, is like the difference between photoshop and ms paint!

                      You can get really creative with paint, but it will never match the professional look or amazing array of effects of photshop. So the way I look at it is, you can have the most amazing product, but if it's not "packaged" well, it won't sell! This contest was also an opportunity to see how others might "package" a video using a variety of my footage. I think part of what gave me the idea was seeing the fun little video Austin Lee made. Everyone has their own ideas and approach and so I thought it might be cool to see what others might come up with.
                      Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-05-24, 07:28 PM.
                      Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                      Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                      -Dani Buron


                      Website
                      Videos
                      Facebook

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        How long will we have to do the video? First and second? And if you loosen up the editing requirements a bit, I have a mid range Sony Vegas program, works with the hd video, but its not the pro version, depending on the timeline I might be interested in doing this.
                        The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is all comprehensible.
                        The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.
                        -AE

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by SpaceFmK View Post
                          How long will we have to do the video? First and second? And if you loosen up the editing requirements a bit, I have a mid range Sony Vegas program, works with the hd video, but its not the pro version, depending on the timeline I might be interested in doing this.
                          That would be fine. There is no set deadline, but I would like to get a minimum of seven participants by 5/31/11. From there I would probably like to have completed videos submitted by the end of July.
                          Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                          Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                          -Dani Buron


                          Website
                          Videos
                          Facebook

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I have to agree with you Terry, moviemaker is nice for a quick edit, but for a more professional looking video it's a lot easier to use something like sony vegas.

                            All the effects are better in vegas, like the slowmotion and the color correction.

                            Here's a video edited in movie maker I think
                            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyw0bYwUzLM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - ‪Little unicycle sesh‬‏[/ame]

                            and vegas :
                            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEKbhJCAsDE"]YouTube - ‪slackline‬‏[/ame]
                            max

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              @gohabsgo333: Nice videos, and I like the music selection too. I noticed that the first isn't in hd and widescreen like the second one though. Most of my videos are shot in 720p widescreen like your second one, and also published as such with MM. I've never used the 1080 setting though, as the difference is largely imperceptible on youtube.
                              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-05-25, 12:35 AM.
                              Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                              Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                              -Dani Buron


                              Website
                              Videos
                              Facebook

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                                @gohabsgo333: Nice videos, and I like the music selection too. I noticed that the first isn't in hd and widescreen like the second one though. Most of my videos are shot in 720p widescreen like your second one, and also published as such with MM. I've never used the 1080 setting though, as the difference is largely imperceptible on youtube.
                                This is true, I thought I mentioned that, but I forgot :P


                                I wanted to compare the colours and stuff though, in MM is there any color correction?
                                max

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X