Today I (brag thread) V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post
    Truly astounding, with such ease you ride it. How long have you been riding ultimate wheel. Is a 36" just as tiring as a smaller wheel?
    I wish that was me! I've never ridden an UW in my life, 36er or not unfortunately.
    It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
      I wish that was me! I've never ridden an UW in my life, 36er or not unfortunately.
      I dunno what you look like or any of yous on the forum. You posted, so ur the professional rider in my mind

It will no doubt take a long time again to learn to ride a UW, but in the end I think it will be worth learning. I wonder how sweaty you get from it, if I were to just ride to the supermarket. Buying something to eat after an intense uni ride always feels a bit embarrassing with sweat dripping everywhere.

Comment

• Just a little brag. Last weekend I rode in the forest with my 29" and there were 2 places with quite high roots that I managed to semi forward-hop right over. When I lay planks on the floor to practice forward hops, I always chicken out, imagining that the planks might shift, should I not hop high enough. In the forest I know the roots won't budge which gives enough confidence.
        I think when looking at the unicycle levels, I'm only at level 3, but looking at the requirements for levels up, I don't see the point in riding in circles backwards or idling with either foot.
        The only things I want to learn are riding backwards say 5 metres and riding the UW. Being able to ride backwards a bit, will give another way of turning around when riding the wrong way. My fastest and easiest way now is to stop, hop and turn 180 and ride back. If I can ride a 90 backwards and then forwards 90, it might be easier and also looks cool. Those will be next achievements for this thread. ^_^

Comment

• I did some bragging in the UW thread, but today I managed to do a 75% rev with my new UW. Altogether I've only practiced just 1.15 hours over 2 days. With this I know I can work up to do more metres.

Another small win was that on my track through the forest there is a high hill, which I hadn't ridden up before, only down and today decided to try going up. As I was only 20m from the top, I had to stop because my thighs were burning too much. Because I was almost there and didn't have the feeling of victory, I rested 5 mins to get back my breath and did it again. The second time I got my victory. This was with the 29" Nimbus.

Comment

• I think this is braggable enough, even though I didn't win. On Saturday I participated in the NKE (Dutch Unicycle Championships). My aim was not to be last, which I wasn't. It was really cool to participate. I did the 10km Unlimited, so I didn't have to buy me a 24". It was in July 2015 that I learned to ride, so it is quite cool to take part in such an event.

Comment

• Congrats!
              It's such a great achievement, well done!

Comment

• Ooh I forgot about this thread!
                Congratulations on your first race!

Something I consider as a small achievement to brag about:
                Yesterday I passed the 20 km mark for the very first time.
                On my 24 Muni, riding mostly on-road and deliberately looking up some of the longer uphill sections in the area.
                In particular Im proud of the 2 climbs up the Congoberg (1.4 km long with average 4.8%, but locally steeper) at 10 km/h.

In the ride also some challenging cross country, ploughing uphill through grass-covered ruts and tractor tracks and slight downhill with extreme camber and ruts.
                Fun times!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Congrats with your 20km. The first time I went that long was in Germany and we did 24km. That was very very hard and after that run I thought to myself I never want to ride that far again. That must have been last year or the year before. Now when practicing for the championship, I rode 20km quite often, but also on bigger wheels. In Germany on a 29", but lately on the 32" and 36".

Don't your knees start hurting on such a small wheel? My knees hurt very much after 10km on my trials unicycle.
                  Riding uphill probably is easier on the smaller wheel.

Comment

• I have had some knee pain a while ago when transitioning into longer rides.
                    Typically this was at the outside of the knee but I traced this down to foot placement and correcting for camber or sideways wind.
                    But now that Im riding more frequently, and further, this pain has disappeared.

What I do get from these hill climbing sessions is some pain behind the kneecap of my left leg.
                    Not during the ride but for 1-2 days afterwards, in particular when walking down stairs.
                    I contribute this to the on-road downhill parts, not the climbing.

If only I could ride uphill for miles and then teleport back to where I started.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quax1974 View Post
                      What I do get from these hill climbing sessions is some pain behind the kneecap of my left leg.
                      Not during the ride but for 1-2 days afterwards, in particular when walking down stairs.
                      I contribute this to the on-road downhill parts, not the climbing.

If only I could ride uphill for miles and then teleport back to where I started.
                      Riding with a brake will help against hurting knees. I have brakes on the 29 and the 32. It takes some getting used to and I normally apply the brakes just before going down, so I get used to the friction already. Then just like riding uphill, you can apply more pressure on the forwards momentum. I haven't seen brakes on a 24" though, but that should be possible too I reckon.

Comment

• I have a brake set lying about somewhere

But intention is to mount it onto the 27.5" to get more control on Muni Downhill.

For my typical muni / X cross downhill I do not have a knee issue.
                        It is just the long on-road down hills that are bothering me.

But I need to train on-road right now as I have two mountains in France to climb* later this year.

*Climbing for Life 2019 Event for charity.

Comment

• I know this is a small achievement for many but a decent milestone for me
                          I went out after work Friday and rode at my favorite park, my goal was to get to 10 miles. Well I made it. I made 13.01 miles I was averaging 7.6 MPH and hit 11 MPH quite a bit when I would sprint. all total I had 30 min of resting time mostly there near the end as I was really winding down during the last 2.5 miles and was having to stop and reposition about every 100 yards due to pain in the nether region I did the complete ride in 2hrs 15 min
                          24" Torker LX
                          29" UDC Trainer
                          32" UDC trainer

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
                            I know this is a small achievement for many but a decent milestone for me
                            I went out after work Friday and rode at my favorite park, my goal was to get to 10 miles. Well I made it. I made 13.01 miles I was averaging 7.6 MPH and hit 11 MPH quite a bit when I would sprint. all total I had 30 min of resting time mostly there near the end as I was really winding down during the last 2.5 miles and was having to stop and reposition about every 100 yards due to pain in the nether region I did the complete ride in 2hrs 15 min
                            Show-off!!

Comment

• so I go out to the car this morning, I keep the uni in the trunk and when I look it has a flat tire so I put air in it and poof the tube blew out. gonna hit the local bike shop here at lunch and see if they have one to fit it
                              24" Torker LX
                              29" UDC Trainer
                              32" UDC trainer

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post

so I go out to the car this morning, I keep the uni in the trunk and when I look it has a flat tire so I put air in it and poof the tube blew out. gonna hit the local bike shop here at lunch and see if they have one to fit it
                                Aren't unicycle tires fatter than normal bike-tires? So far I've just fixed the flat tubes myself and if I really need a new tube, I'd order one of Unicycle.com.

The LBS peeps here always start complaining when I come by with my uni asking where to get spares and stuff, so I have to hand-hold them to not let them stress out and assuring them that what I want from them is only something general that also applies to normal bikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X