Today I (brag thread) V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post
    Not sure if it is reason to brag, but I like this thread. I just rode 12km in exactly 1 hour on my Oracle 29" (on asphalt but with several energy-depleting hills) and that after only 4 months of learning how to unicycle. I really don't know how that is compared to others, but at least now I have an idea how long it will take when I decide to ride to work coming summer, which is about 20km with several hills as well.
    That's a very good reason to brag, well done! You came a long way in only 4 months, impressive!

Comment

• Comparisons are crass and unfair to all involved, but you did good. Congratulations!

Comment

• A couple of things

Ok....my turn.......

The other night I did a 30" (0.762m for you metric folks) drop off a small picnic table. I could go a bit higher, but I'm afraid I'll bend my wheel/rim.

Rode 20' (6.1m) backwards That surprised me because it all came together for that brief moment.

Plan to continue practicing these for better consistency..........next stop, riding down a flight of stairs (like my 5th grader) and crank flips.
        Last edited by bradahj; 2015-10-19, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• This weekend I practiced riding backwards. My first more serious practice and I managed 2.5 rotations a few times (so 5 pedals). Maybe it was a fluke, but flukes help get the feeling and they are proof that I can do it when I practice enough.

Comment

• Trial Uni: until now I have been jumping onto things (crates, low walls etc..) but found it really difficult to increase my top height (which is pretty low). A couple of days ago I started practising with a thin bar to improve my hops (rolling, side hop..): the idea being that if If I fail the jump less chances that I will get an injury.

Today it has paid off and I managed to rolling hop over the bar set at 37cms (untill today it was just around 30cms). I know is not much (the teenagers in youtube make it look easy!) but I find rolling hops specially difficult to get right. I still approach the obstacle riding slowly so I have the time to compress the tyre before I hop without breaking my neck!

Also I managed to avoid a faceplant from missing the pedal when landing a failed rolling hop. That is definitely something to brag about

Comment

• Yesterday I did the longest ride I've ever done. Every year, a group on the french forum organises a ride during Veteran's day (since it's a day off) along the canal that links Paris to the North East of the city.

We rode to Meaux from the outskirt of Paris. The bike comp said 49.9km when we got to the train station on arrival. My Strava recording missed 10km as I forgot to start it again after lunch.

I definitely improved my riding though (or because) it was a pretty harsh ride for the most novices of the group. The start is a smooth cycle lane, but as you get further away from Paris, it starts to be just a big track, and near the end it's just a single narrow track with a lot of stones and potholes.

This morning I feel like I spent the night in a washing machine. Is that normal?

Comment

• Originally posted by pierrox View Post
                We rode to Meaux from the outskirt of Paris. The bike comp said 49.9km when we got to the train station on arrival. My Strava recording missed 10km as I forgot to start it again after lunch.
                Wow 60K that is a long trip. Well done Pierrox. Does that equal 5-6 hours? On my 29" I managed about 12km in 1 hour, but naturally you get more tired after each hour. Is there much height difference between Meaux and Paris? Next year when I move back to Holland, I will keep a lookout for such rides. Paris would then be only 5 hours driving away. Always fun to see something other than the known tracks in my home country. :-)

Today was my first day of riding in the dark. It was dry and there was only a cool breeze, which is perfect for riding. I had bought a bright light which I could attach to my helmet and then I chose a forest ride where I wouldn't expect any cars. The biggest problem was that it had rained a lot and it was so muddy in places that my tire would just glide to the side, which takes a lot of effort to stay on top, but otherwise it feels comfy on the uni, so it isn't more difficult than riding when it's light.

Comment

• Sorry if I made that not too clear. The whole trip was just under 50km but the Strava ride shows 40. I probably would have walked the last 10km if it was 60!

With lunch break and many stops, we averaged 12kph. Not a lot when you look at what people do at marathons and other races, but not bad for me and the other people that had never done that much riding in one go. Kudos to young american Amelia who had never been on a 29" before and did the whole ride, hope her knee is ok today.
                  Lesson 1 is only wear cycling shorts, don't put jeans on top. Lesson 2 is bring a pump so you can play with pressure when the road turns into a beaten path which then turns into a rocky trail and then into tarmac again!

The ride was almost flat since it follows a waterway. It would sometimes go up to reach bridge level and then down again to get back to water level. Pretty ideal for 36" riding I guess.

Comment

• Heck of a good ride one way or another, Pierrox. Way to go!

Comment

• Originally posted by LargeEddie View Post
                      Heck of a good ride one way or another, Pierrox. Way to go!
                      Thanks a lot LE! Hope you're good!

Comment

• Thanks my friend, I'm fine. Are you ok?

Comment

• Originally posted by LargeEddie View Post
                          Thanks my friend, I'm fine. Are you ok?
                          Thanks Tim, we're good. We were home when we heard the news, scary as it all happened just half a mile from our place, in an area where we do hang out sometimes.

Comment

• Many thanks for the reply, Pierrox. It's good to hear from you and know that you're alright. Hang in there and stay safe!

Comment

• Today i learnt to Unispin!

I got up this morning and decided that i was going to do a unispin today. i decided i was going to go out and focus, and not get sidetracked with other tricks, and not just put it off until tomorrow, i was going to stay out there until i landed one!

About a year ago was when i first tried to learn to unispin, but i always had this huge mental block stopping me from landing my damned feet back on the pedals. It was the one trick i badly wanted to learn, but i was too scared. It really took the joy out of unicycling for me.

But today after 1.5 hours of frustration i finally did it!

I had to channel a bit of the great Shia LaBeouf but i got there
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
                              ^^ seriously if you haven't seen it, watch it. Its hilarious, but kind of inspiring at the same time
                              This is an extremely deep and meaningful quote - Chris Iseli

Comment

• Originally posted by pierrox View Post
                                Yesterday I did the longest ride I've ever done. Every year, a group on the french forum organises a ride during Veteran's day (since it's a day off) along the canal that links Paris to the North East of the city.

I definitely improved my riding though (or because) it was a pretty harsh ride for the most novices of the group. The start is a smooth cycle lane, but as you get further away from Paris, it starts to be just a big track, and near the end it's just a single narrow track with a lot of stones and potholes.

This morning I feel like I spent the night in a washing machine. Is that normal?
                                My knees remember very well this ride
                                Even if I only did 30km because of the pain, this was my longest trip in unicycle and I felt ok excepted this tendinitis issue, I could have completed the 50km.

My nimbus 29er arrived just the week before, so it was quite new for me, but I wish I had got a 36er for this kind of distance, even if at this moment I didn't ever have mounted and ride any 36er.

But as you know, I am a brand new owner of a 36er now so I can't wait to try big distances once again, especially with this so different unicycle.
                                My first feelings after having rode it for few meters around the house: riding a 36er is something very different from riding any other size.
                                It's like it's just another world... you 're just flying

I even wonder if I will come back to smaller wheels...
                                That would be a mess cause I'v got 4 unicycles now and my 29er is brand new too.
                                I must be too obsessed by the envy of rinding the big wheel.

And about the 13th.. I was on my bed ready to sleep since I work on Saturday morning, and my phone was ringing because of friend were wondering if I was ok...
                                Didn't sleep very well this night knowing what was happening in Paris.
                                - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
                                - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
                                - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
                                - Qu-ax trial 19"
                                -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X