Muni uphill pecking vs. rolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNIROX View Post
    What I want to know is if it would be best to hop up or try to chicken walk up a steep rooty section - perhaps a combination depending on the amount of protrusions?
    I typically try to roll up as much as I can until I can go no farther, and then transition to either a side-hop, or if it's not too steep I'll try forward-hopping over the smaller roots and roll up some more once past them or side-hop if the roots/rocks are too abundant. It's helpful to be able to hop on either foot in order to make the transition work the best. It looks like the middle section of that hill is the steepest and I'd need to side-hop that but the start and the end sections of that hill look kind of rollable. You could even try roll hopping the first part if there are some roots in the way.

In other posts you mentioned you had a 26" with 125/150 dual cranks. Are you using that to attack that kind of hill? I have a 24x3 with 170 cranks and I am not sure I could climb that hill as it stands, much less with 150 cranks and a larger wheel. I know everyone criticizes the 24" wheel because of the lack of tire choices but I really love it. It's built for that kind of stuff.

Comment

Rolling vs Pecking

Always try t roll if you can. It is much less wastfull energy wise. That hill does not look rollable but should be very peckable. If it is slippery and slidy then do smaller pecks and your wheel will bite better.

Unicorn
      Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will accomplish great feats!

The Unicycling Commune

Comment

Originally posted by tholub View Post
        I would be surprised if any normal human could roll up that section. Even pecking up would be very difficult due to the surface slipping.
        +1 on the normal. A couple of years ago I saw a guy roll up a 12 set of stairs on a 24 Muni. I sat their slack jawed and had to re-watch it 10 times, partly to make sure they were regular size stairs.

I think good riders could rid up that hill at an angle. Route selection to avoid the routes would be tricky, plus a bit of zig zagging.
        Last edited by skilewis74; 2011-04-25, 07:56 AM.
        Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What's next?
        Learn2Ride&doTricks
        TrialsClasses&Building

Comment

Roll up that hill.

Maybe if the guy was on a larger wheel and had a SH@TLOAD of momentum he could get up a large section of that hill but I think that the wheel would spin out on him before the top.

But rollong up partway and then pecking the rest is the way to go!

Unicorn
          Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will accomplish great feats!

The Unicycling Commune

Comment

Working...
          X