X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
    At least nobody could ask, "Where's...."

[ATTACH]47893[/ATTACH]
    Could that really be classed as a uni, or is it a t*ndem?
    Quote Uni57: Unicyclists are the nicest people! Both on and off the Internet.

Comment

Aha tandem isn't necessarily a swear word...
      Attached Files

Comment

I've seen that pic and it sure looks photoshopped.
        It's a print from 1947. Photoshop came out in 1991 I think. It definitely looks touched up though. Probably to make it "read" better when reproduced in coarse newsprint conditions.
        It also looks doesn't look like a solid rubber tire, which I would have thought would have been the norm for little unis like that back then.
        Unis back then were almost exclusively handmade. Therefore its a question of the quality of parts the maker used.

The three vintage photos I bought are all from the same vendor. They are actual prints, made on or around the date stamped on the back. Also I believe they were all used in newspaper articles at least once. Some locally (Detroit News for one or two of mine), and some on a larger scale, as AP photos or similar.

I just bid on one more, and bought a fifth. One is a jump-rope picture of three Redford riders from 1981; a perfect freezing of the action in mid-jump, with Debbie Jones' hair flying upward. I remember seeing that one in print also. The other is from 1956 and was posted above; 3 kids on giraffes, 1956. The rider names are written on the back, and their last names are all Hall. Possibly children of the famous Mel Hall? I'll have to dig a little to check her first name, but the little girl in front, Carmen Hall, may be the world-record-holder youngest rider. That is, if her nickname was Nini... The timeframe seems to fit. I'm going to own that photo!

Edit: Actually I think Carmen was her sister. I remember seeing her in the Clyde Beattie Cole Bros. Circus around 1988 or so. An animal act; no cycles.

Edit edit: A-HA, it was baboons! Here's a recent photo of Carmen. Then here's a Nini Hall link. Isn't Google great?
        Last edited by johnfoss; 2011-04-30, 06:20 AM.
        John Foss
        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

WOW JF you really are a legend! So are you gonna bid on the 3 kids on giraffes one? If you do let me know hoe you get on

Comment

I've seen that pic and it sure looks photoshopped. I very much doubt the date on it. Also, the tire looks much to "modern" to have been on a uni from almost 65 years ago! It also looks doesn't look like a solid rubber tire, which I would have thought would have been the norm for little unis like that back then.
            Looks more like an old form of sharpening to me. People did all kinds of things to prints back then. Or it could have been a mistake in printing, or any number of things. I agree that it is strange looking, especially how dark the eyelids and lips are. Perhaps it was overexposed, and then printed low, and the machine was bumped during printing, it intrigues me though. Photoshop? I doubt that.

Comment

This from the 1940's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNAPSHOT-Count...item5d2e8ff19b
              Attached Files

Comment

1961 Lady bouncing a ball

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1961-Unicycle-...item2310765394
                Attached Files

Comment

Boy in a phone booth 1963

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1963-Boy-Rides...item23107654b1
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's a great pic from 36 years ago! And looking at those pants, that would also confirm the 1975 date! I had just graduated HS a year earlier, and that was the style back then, with Saturday Night fever, disco, Three's Company, haha! (I resisted that trend and was much more into R&R, like Zeppelin and all that.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	rebe_unicycle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	2433734
                    Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-05-03, 09:39 PM.
                    Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                    Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                    -Dani Buron

Website
                    Videos
                    Facebook

Comment

Makes me just wanna pinch those cheeks and say 'aren't you cute'

Comment

I like the picture of the girl with the basketball. It says it was taken in Sunnyvale, CA. That' right near Nathan Hoover and Corbin Dunn (among others)! I wonder where she is now?
                        John Foss
                        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                          I like the picture of the girl with the basketball. It says it was taken in Sunnyvale, CA. That' right near Nathan Hoover and Corbin Dunn (among others)! I wonder where she is now?
                          Her name is Maria Suares i think...it says a bit further down the ad.

Comment

Sometimes I wish I was old like you guys so I could have taken a vintage picture of me on the uni, my earliest is probably from 97.. at least I never had to learn on those seats, I thought mine was bad enough when I was learning.

Edit: great pictures by the way guys. It's cool to see some of the earlier stuff.
                            Last edited by SpaceFmK; 2011-05-04, 05:40 PM.
                            The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is all comprehensible.
                            The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.
                            -AE

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceFmK View Post
                              S... at least I never had to learn on those seats, I thought mine was bad enough when I was learning.
                              You think they had it bad? I learned unicycling on an artistic cycling seat, not a banana seat. It's thick, tough leather on a metal frame, no padding. Imagine it's actually possible to ride without it slipping out back.
                              Last edited by kamikaze; 2011-05-04, 06:24 PM.

Join Unicyclemap.com!
                              ----
                              [ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
                              ----
                              onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers

Comment

Originally posted by Juni View Post
                                she's hawt
                                Best of Me

18:21 Stillstand
                                255 foot railride

Comment

Working...
                                X