Post your Vintage Uni Pics & Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jona View Post
    Idler I'm sure isn't the correct name for it.
    My grandma had a spinning wheel up in the attic they used when she was a little girl. The wheel was spoked and about 24-26 inch and looked like a bare rim. More of a compact or traveling size I guess compared to the big ones you see in movies. Anyway the whole unit popped apart for easy transport. The wheel forks had a dowel (seatpost) that slipped into the wooden frame to hold the wheel. Rim up-seatpost down. Then the wool\thread would run over the top of the rim.
    I'm guessing too, but the age of the picture leads me to think something other than uni.
    OR
    I'm full of crap and we have discovered the source of your natural talent.
    That's a remarkable explanation, and it sounds spot-on.

(Very cool old family photo, by the way, 4umfreak.)
    "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• I thought maybe you meant hoop rolling, but I guess a spinning wheel idler is something entirely different? Perhaps back in the day there was no fresh paint that needed watching.

Anyway, that got me thinking... who wants in on the ground floor of mountain hoop rolling?
      Attached Files
      I'm different, yeah I'm different. I'm different, yeah I'm different. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing. Pull up to the scene and my wheel is missing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jona View Post
        Idler I'm sure isn't the correct name for it.
        My grandma had a spinning wheel up in the attic they used when she was a little girl. The wheel was spoked and about 24-26 inch and looked like a bare rim. More of a compact or traveling size I guess compared to the big ones you see in movies. Anyway the whole unit popped apart for easy transport. The wheel forks had a dowel (seatpost) that slipped into the wooden frame to hold the wheel. Rim up-seatpost down. Then the wool\thread would run over the top of the rim.
        I'm guessing too, but the age of the picture leads me to think something other than uni.
        OR
        I'm full of crap and we have discovered the source of your natural talent.
        Looking closely at the original picture it may be a pre-cursor to the Fisher-Price 'popper' toy. It looks like there's spoke beads on it.
        - 4umfreak

Geagle Search Engine a unicyclist.com inspired search engine. (kh longneak vs shortbeak)

Comment

• Originally posted by jbtilley View Post
          I thought maybe you meant hoop rolling, but I guess a spinning wheel idler is something entirely different? Perhaps back in the day there was no fresh paint that needed watching.

Anyway, that got me thinking... who wants in on the ground floor of mountain hoop rolling?
          Ha Ha. jbtilley, I think you're onto something there, *extreme* hoop rolling!
          - 4umfreak

Geagle Search Engine a unicyclist.com inspired search engine. (kh longneak vs shortbeak)

Comment

• She ought to be wearing a helmet, no?

Comment

• Found this picture when looking through some photos. Would have been taken about 1960. Homemade unicycle with brass bushes, still spins better than modern bearings. Wheel needs total rebuild, but hangs on wall in garage. I didn't really need the front wheel but was good in parades for running over kids feet and knocking things over. This was my first unicycle, Wow i learnt on a 26" and on grass. We obviously didn't have pins on pedals in those days.
              Attached Files
              Unicyclists control pedals

Comment

• Reposted from the french unicycle forum, a 1978 gem found on the Institut National des Archives website:

http://www.ina.fr/video/I07113511/nu...ker-video.html

Comment

• Great video, I really enjoyed watching. Thanks Pierrox

Comment

• my friend Picolo had this one for his son: interesting saddle
                    Attached Files
                    One Wheel : bear necessity
                    (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

Working...
                    X