• Show
Clear All

• knoxuni
    replied
    Bump

Leave a comment:

• scott ttocs
    replied
    I installed the black pads on the KH 36" Guni. The wheel build from Bronson is very nice and the black pads have not been too rough when braking. That being said, disk brakes are a lot smoother.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• DavidHood
    replied
    Originally posted by brycer1968 View Post
    newbies trying to figure it out for the first time
    Add maintenance of Magura HS33 brakes to the ever expanding list of reasons of why I want to attend Park Tool school at my LBS. My first experience with rim brakes has not been good. See link to thread below. Had I known I was going to have this much trouble with my new HS33s, I would have bought a bleed kit and a used set from Brycer1968 instead of trying to take the lazy way out.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...&postcount=117

Originally posted by scott ttocs View Post
    I prefer grey pads on a 36" road unicycle because they grab less rather than more. It allows me to get smoother braking with a Magura setup. I rarely want a lot of stopping power on my 36".
    I am afraid the ultra smooth modulation of my Impulse (disc) brakes have spoiled me rotten. I might be in the market for a pair of grey pads for my geared KH36. We shall see.
    Last edited by DavidHood; 2011-08-27, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• scott ttocs
    replied
    Thank you Brycer!

Leave a comment:

• brycer1968
    replied
    Scott

Grey brake pads - see PM

Leave a comment:

• scott ttocs
    replied
    Hi Scott.
    I'll have to give that a try. I've been throwing out the grey pads for years, assuming they were useless for unicycle and trials bike use.
    B
    Send your next pair of greys to me!

Scott

Leave a comment:

• brycer1968
    replied
    Originally posted by scott ttocs View Post
    Hi Bryce,

We have talked about it before, but I want to note that I prefer grey pads on a 36" road unicycle because they grab less rather than more. It allows me to get smoother braking with a Magura setup. I rarely want a lot of stopping power on my 36".

Scott
    Hi Scott.
    I'll have to give that a try. I've been throwing out the grey pads for years, assuming they were useless for unicycle and trials bike use.
    B

Leave a comment:

• scott ttocs
    replied
    Magura brake installation and adjustment instructions for HS22 and HS33 brakes.

Other helpful tips:
    Pads that are worn/dirty/oily can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol and the faces can be sanded with sandpaper if the previous wear is uneven. Black and red pads perform the best for most unicycle rims. The Green and grey pads are too hard and yellow/clear trials pads usually grab too hard.

Contact me if you have questions,
    Brycer1968
    uniflasher@hotmail.com
    Hi Bryce,

We have talked about it before, but I want to note that I prefer grey pads on a 36" road unicycle because they grab less rather than more. It allows me to get smoother braking with a Magura setup. I rarely want a lot of stopping power on my 36".

Scott

Leave a comment:

• brycer1968
    replied
    Originally posted by Dane M View Post
    Thanks Brycer, just the things I needed to know. I appreciate the time you took to write it down!
    No worries. I send a hard copy of these instructions when someone buys
    HS33's or Magura parts from me. . . . The instructions have saved me HOURS of phone and e-mail traffic from newbies trying to figure it out for the first time.
    Brycer
    Last edited by brycer1968; 2011-03-31, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brycer1968
    replied
    Originally posted by maestro8 View Post
    Why do you recommend this instead of cutting the line to fit?

When the brake line is wrapped around the frame neck, you're exposing it to damage from many different angles.

If the brake line is routed down the front of the frame neck, it will be a bit less exposed.

Or am I wrong?
    Yes, it is a little more exposed I guess, but I usually work with folks to help them get the brake line the right size for their wheel, crank length and inseam. The wrap allows for some imprecision and seatpost adjustability in this calculation. Only like 5% of uni brake buyers want the straight shot line.

I also put this product on the upper part of my brake lines on my unicycles and it provides another layer of protection as well:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...AdLSiALh7MCdCQ

Brycer
    Last edited by brycer1968; 2011-03-31, 07:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• saskatchewanian
    replied
    I think the one wrap method is better because it allows you more adjustment in your seatpost. I try to have my line just long enough that you can still get the post out of the frame without removing the lever.

Leave a comment:

• Dane M
    replied
    Originally posted by maestro8 View Post

When the brake line is wrapped around the frame neck, you're exposing it to damage from many different angles.

If the brake line is routed down the front of the frame neck, it will be a bit less exposed.

Or am I wrong?
    I think he was just recommending it over leaving the cable loose, where it could catch on things. Not in relation to impacts on the cable itself.

Leave a comment:

• maestro8
    replied
    wrap the brake line one or more times around the frame neck/seat-post before you install the lever

Or am I wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Dane M
    replied
    Thanks Brycer, just the things I needed to know. I appreciate the time you took to write it down!

Leave a comment:

• saskatchewanian
    replied
    Bryce

This is great stuff. All good info.

Maybe you should re-post this in the Articles and Tutorials section so it is easier for people to find and so it doesn't get buried so fast.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X