Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your car versus unicycle accidents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your car versus unicycle accidents?

I'll start. Today I got struck by a car in Delano. I was going down the street and this lady rolled through a stop sign, looked straight at me without seeing me, then hit me on my 29"er with her front bumper and rolled me onto her hood. Then she had the nerve to say I wasn't watching. I was very upset and straightened her out on that issue in a hurry. I saw her coming at me but didn't have time to bail. I think that saved me because if I had bailed then she would have run me over. But instead I rolled up over the hood of her car before she stopped. I think maybe because I was so high up she just flipped me on her hood, and the second interesting thing was I dont think she injured me at all, and she just pushed the unicycle off to the side. Still, I thank God she didn't wreck my unicycle or hurt me at all. Do you think that might possibly be also from years of practice of falling off of the unicycle?

I've never had a unicycle v car accident, so I guess I'm off topic here. But I gotta say I'm glad you're not dead or maimed.

I try to make eye contact with the person in the car and come to some agreement about who will go first, but there's no guarantee even then..

Comment

In my experience, the car always wins.

Hey, I once had my car break down in Delano! If it's the California one. I was on my way to the 1995 IJA Festival in Las Vegas. And I had no air conditioning from that point until 1998.

Glad nobody was hurt (you or the unicycle). Gotta watch those cars; there's minimal effect on them if they don't watch you. A head pointed toward you is not the same as eye contact, though it's hard to tell the difference. Then there's the people who do see you, but continue on like their brain hasn't found a "slot" for you so they drive normally.
      John Foss
      www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

i always assume no one sees me.

i also apply this to motorcycling.
        Best of Me

18:21 Stillstand
        255 foot railride

Comment

Originally posted by DSchmitt View Post
          i always assume no one sees me.

i also apply this to motorcycling.
          This is the best rule for biking too. You may have right of way, but watch out because people are oblivious. If people crash their cars into other cars because they don't see em, then you can't expect em to be smart enough to see a cyclist, or even smaller a unicyclist!!

I am very glad to hear that you are not injured, and it sounds like the added height of the uni actually saved you from injury, but I hope you took her information in case some complication comes up in a few days.

Comment

I never watch for cars ever and they crumple in my path when I hit them.
            ----------------------------------------------

Art is a misspelled rat.
            "The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"

Comment

Sampling bias

Keep in mind that the responses here will be biased as there may be others who have experienced car vs. unicycle collisions that are, uh, no longer able to respond to this post.

Who knows, there could be dozens of them!
              - 4umfreak

Geagle Search Engine a unicyclist.com inspired search engine. (kh longneak vs shortbeak)

Comment

the problem of eye contact exists also when you riding on the pavement.
                Someone is coming in front of you, walks , looks at you but the brain does not get the information.
                And suddenly when you are near enough the person jumps in surprise.
                So now I manage to do some funny noise even when I am at a certain distance (my onk-onk is useful here)
                but even there there are problems (such as: the person does not realise he/she is blocking the way!)
                One Wheel : bear necessity
                (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

You think automobiles are a hazard? Hah! You should have tried riding in the days of horse and buggy.

Your fancy automobile simply rolls down the road after a tussle with a rider. A gelding startled by the sight of a penny farthing's wheel is more apt to stamp, stamp again, and continue stamping until he's sure his predator has perished! My younger brother nearly lost a leg after such an encounter.

I don't want to hear about your bruises and scrapes. My mother would give you a good licking with a switch for crying about such nonsense.

Comment

I've never had an accident with a car on my unicycle, all the cars see me and let me go first because they dont know it's possible to idle on a uni I've sometimes also got hit, but I'm always ready because most of the times the cars are going out of a parking and not looking on both sides.
                    Jakob F.

Comment

i have just started commuting in the streets with my 29 and being the reckless kind of guy, your story keeps me in check once again.

im so scared when i think about such accidents...

Thanks for the heads up and im super glad that your faring welL!!!

Comment

Glad you weren't hurt with the accident.

I haven't had any accidents, but I avoid parking lots because I seem to be a hazard. A while ago, I misjudged where a car was turning, and we ended up nearly in a head on. I still remember looking down into the compact car from my 36" uni, both people in the front seats were wide eye'd as we stopped bumper to tire. I cringed with my most apologetic look as I was stopped there, then turned and rode away.

I remember thinking that I would have damaged the car falling down to the hood, and it looked like a soft spot to land. Was also glad the driver drove off without complaining.
                        Regards,
                        Ken

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
                        26" inexpensive travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrashing View Post
                          Glad you weren't hurt with the accident.

I haven't had any accidents, but I avoid parking lots because I seem to be a hazard. A while ago, I misjudged where a car was turning, and we ended up nearly in a head on. I still remember looking down into the compact car from my 36" uni, both people in the front seats were wide eye'd as we stopped bumper to tire. I cringed with my most apologetic look as I was stopped there, then turned and rode away.

I remember thinking that I would have damaged the car falling down to the hood, and it looked like a soft spot to land. Was also glad the driver drove off without complaining.
                          Yup, I'm with Ken. . . I think the more you present as a road hazard, the safer you will be in traffic.

Really bright lights on your helmet will go a long way towards being seen in the day- or night. Yes, some of these lights made for navigating off road at night cost as much as a well made unicycle, but they are well worth it.

Also, if you look like this when you ride, you get even more room on the road (and you will be set up to dispatch any zombies you run across):
                          Attached Files
                          Brycer1968,
                          Mayhem on one-wheel since 1968

Comment

Working...
                          X