Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Famous Fargo Street CONQUERED! (2.23.11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
    Unfortunately, I won't have Steve there next time to cheer me on!
    Make the audio into a mp3 file and put it on your ipod as your climbing. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Dane M View Post
      Make the audio into a mp3 file and put it on your ipod as your climbing. haha
      Or better yet, you come come down!
      Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
      Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
      -Dani Buron

Website
      Videos
      Facebook

Comment

It's the 6th right? I might actually, I'd love to see people climb it. Would be a good op for some awesome emotional shots.

Comment

That was painful to watch (in a good, witnessing triumph, sort of way)!

And the few times you stopped to hop...each hop dropped you back a few inches...

Well done, both of you!

Comment

Originally posted by Gadfly View Post
            That was painful to watch (in a good, witnessing triumph, sort of way)!

And the few times you stopped to hop...each hop dropped you back a few inches...

Well done, both of you!
            Thanks. And those few little "hops" were to correct my direction, and stay upright on the turns, with gravity pulling me down like you can't believe! And "hop" is probably not the most accurate term; on that ROCK hard tire, with close to 100 psi, it was more like trying to bounce on a brick!
            -Dani Buron

Website
            Videos
            Facebook

Comment

Nicely done
              Sauron Zerg
              You're so noob you prehop before you prehop!
              Its not about the tricks you do, its how you use them

Ya'reeeee

Comment

.. I might actually, I'd love to see people climb it. Would be a good op for some awesome emotional shots.
                Definitely you would get some great shots!

Originally posted by unicycledood View Post
                Nicely done
                Thanks.
                -Dani Buron

Website
                Videos
                Facebook

Comment

You're gonna have to make your own patch!

Just look at the vertical lines of houses and telephone poles on the sides to get an idea for the grade, and then however hard you think it looks to ride up it, probably multiple that by 2.
                  Haha, I just might! But I think you have to do your climb when the organizers are there to get a patch, even though it is documented on video, and with no cuts or edits during the climb. I did add it to my uni-resume though.
                  Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-02-27, 10:14 PM.
                  -Dani Buron

Website
                  Videos
                  Facebook

Comment

From the LA Wheelmen FAQ about the Fargo Street Hill Climb Event:

Do you keep records of the number of ascents in one day? Yes. Men- Steve Gilmore, 101

Comment

Originally posted by ezas View Post
                      From the LA Wheelmen FAQ about the Fargo Street Hill Climb Event:

Do you keep records of the number of ascents in one day? Yes. Men- Steve Gilmore, 101
                      There's a few who have ultra custom low geared bikes. One guy has a bike where the cranks spin maybe 7-8 full rotations for every *one* wheel rotation! with that bike you can ride it straight up, sitting down! I do know that most take a lot longer to get to the top than my 3:02 minutes!
                      -Dani Buron

Website
                      Videos
                      Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ezas View Post
                        That IS nuts!
                        Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                        There's a few who have ultra custom low geared bikes. One guy has a bike where the cranks spin maybe 7-8 full rotations for every *one* wheel rotation! with that bike you can ride it straight up, sitting down! I do know that most take a lot longer to get to the top than my 3:02 minutes!
                        Yeah... the equipment used and elapsed time seem important to include in any results. Some day when someone rides up Fargo 10 times in a row with a reduced gear ratio hub, we shouldn't directly compare it with results like Terry's here.
                        By the way, well done Terry! And Steveyo too!

--> Grease for your Schlumpf hub (free shipping!) <--

Comment

Originally posted by MuniOrBust View Post
                          Steveyo too!
                          Not me, I failed miserably, and I'm supposed to be a strong hill-climber.

Excuse list 1.0: (some of which were actually true)
                          Thighs were well-lactic-acidified from previous day's 1100+ ft climb w/Ilan.
                          Prior to that, I hadn't ridden any cycle since fall.
                          Knobby 24X3 w/150s not ideal.
                          Jet lag.
                          The sun got in my eyes.
                          My fly was unzipped.
                          My shoes were untied.

OK, only 1-4 are true...
                          I think I could train, then rest the day before, and have a decent shot at it.
                          Probably not 101 times, though!
                          Last edited by steveyo; 2011-02-28, 06:48 PM.
                          steveyo
                          ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few uni race write-ups
                          - muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

Comment

Originally posted by steveyo View Post
                            I think I could train, then rest the day before, and have a decent shot at it.
                            Probably not 101 times, though!
                            The 101 times on a bike brings the whole enchilada into persceptive, he averaged 5min20sec per lap, that is awesome. It is a hill that with a little bit of training, and right setup can be accomplished, short and wicked steep.

Comment

With their ultra light, low geared bikes, the regular Fargo riders rarely reach their AT (Anaerobic threshold) and because of this they can do the climb over and over without coming close to their MHR or V02 max. But doing it in 1:1 would a whole different challenge! That is pure, 100% you, with no luxury of gears. But other than a uni, I don't think anyone has climbed Fargo on a 1:1 geared bike, and if so, they sure wouldn't be doing it 101 times, lol! The gear ratio on bikes there is usually at least 2.5:1. 100 times though is pretty amazing, even in "granny" gear!
                              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-02-28, 07:45 PM.
                              -Dani Buron

Website
                              Videos
                              Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by steveyo View Post

Excuse list 1.0: (some of which were actually true)
                                Thighs were well-lactic-acidified from previous day's 1100+ ft climb w/Ilan.
                                I had been wondering about lactic acid and its effects before I did my climb, and so I had been reading various articles about lactic acid, and how long it typically stays in your muscle tissue after intense exercise. From what I'm reading, pretty much all lactic acid is gone within one hour after exercise. Here's one article, and the the 7th paragraph specifically mentions this:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Lactic-Aci...gly&id=4104757
                                Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-02-28, 09:19 PM.
                                -Dani Buron

Website
                                Videos
                                Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X