Stationary Unicycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stationary Unicycle?

Anyone here ever setup a unicycle on rollers? I can't be bothered to ride in temperatures less than 40F.

Yeah I have not yet but I'm quite interested. It has been discussed briefly here in the past, and yes people have tried.

Since rollers keep you in one spot you would likely need to hold onto something to stop yourself from falling forward/back. Also if the unicycle turns it will drop the tire between the rollers and make you fall.

Still I want to try it, I miss my 36 in the winter, and I always get out of shape. It would take up much less storage than a workout stationary bike.
    Last edited by Ben Meighen; 2011-02-05, 08:57 PM.

maestro8 fan club

Comment

I took my 36er on a treadmill briefly - just long enough to get some video. Wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

I would think this would be a really bad idea. Basically that's like doing a stillstand, but with pedaling, it sounds extremely difficult to me. All your normal balance is from being able to move the unicycle around underneath you, not you moving your body around the unicycle.

Comment

Yeah I don't think it would be very possible without holding onto something stable, like a chair or railing.

I'm not interested in balancing on the rollers, just getting a quick indoor workout on my 36.

maestro8 fan club

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Meighen View Post
            Yeah I don't think it would be very possible without holding onto something stable, like a chair or railing.

I'm not interested in balancing on the rollers, just getting a quick indoor workout on my 36.
            Oh ok well then possibly with some bars to hold onto, but it still sounds sketchy to me, especially on a 36.

Comment

This has come up a few times on here. Treadmills have been mentioned...I have to wonder though what the intention is.

Is the intention is to be a better rider? In what way?
              I'm not sure that any sort of stationary practice would be realistic but am curious if others have any experience on that.

If the intention is to get exercise and develop strength why not just get an exercise bike?

Learn to idle and then you can develop strength and skill stationarily.
              Last edited by deadbeatpope; 2011-02-06, 12:26 AM.
              ----------------------------------------------

Art is a misspelled rat.
              "The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"

Comment

Originally posted by deadbeatpope View Post
                This has come up a few times on here. Treadmills have been mentioned...I have to wonder though what the intention is.

I'm not sure that any sort of stationary practice would be realistic but am curious if others have any experience on that.

If the intention is to get exercise and develop strength why not just get an exercise bike?

Learn to idle and then you can develop strength and skill stationarily.
                Treadmills and rollers can be so deceiving to some people. I'm sure this would apply to a unicycle as well, but running on a treadmill, and actual running, work out different muscles. With using a unicycle and holding on to a bar of some kind (Which I'm pretty sure you would HAVE to do) you wouldn't workout all of your balancing muscles like in the stomach.

I think if you were able to succeed in riding a 36 indoors on rollers, the only benefit may be to burn some fat, in which case wouldn't a normal exercise bike be better? just don't use the handlebars!

Comment

Most exercise bikes really only have one wheel if that makes anyone feel any better.
                  ----------------------------------------------

Art is a misspelled rat.
                  "The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"

Comment

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=winter+jacket : P this better be a very elaborate joke. . .
                    Steel is real! => I ride a Nimbus!

Comment

Originally posted by deadbeatpope View Post
                      According to the OP, the intention is to get out of the weather (and possibly darkness). On a unicycle. Anyone can get on an exercise bike, but then it's a topic for a different forum.

I've never tried rollers, but it's easy enough to picture the difficulties. No front-to-back balance correction, and a tendency for the wheel to wobble, which could lead to it falling between the rollers. No fun.

Treadmill ftw! This I have done a bit, and it works though one must use care. Also I imagine it might put wear & tear on the treadmill that it might not be built for? In the form of all the rider's weight on a very small spot. But then again, maybe not such a problem, because you aren't pounding your feet onto it.
                      John Foss
                      www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Okay, I should mention I ride in snow alot and have been at it for years. I would commute in snow if I had some good winter cycling clothing, but it's not cheap. Riding in winter ski jackets you are either too cold or sweating, so rides over an hour aren't as fun.

My hope was to exercise my legs (not burn fat). Every spring I feel like I need to get trained and back in shape to keep up with the other cyclists on the road. I don't want more balance practice. I would love to have an exercise bike, but they are big. I already have a bedroom full of unicycles.

I know there are people on the forums that have tried it before.

maestro8 fan club

Comment

I think you'd be best to learn idling and forget the rollers. You wouldn't want to spend your springtime in a body cast!
                          - 4umfreak

Geagle Search Engine a unicyclist.com inspired search engine. (kh longneak vs shortbeak)

Comment

I can't idle the 36 that well but i already can idle, thanks. I don't think rollers could ever help me idle? I wasn't planning buying them anyways.

maestro8 fan club

Comment

If the unicycle was completely secured, I could see a benefit of conditioning to saddle and burning fat. I think that may be your best option if you want to persue this.

Comment

Working...
                              X