No announcement yet.

24" muni vs. 26" muni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the crank size deals with what type of riding your riding, if your going to be going over rough terrain or very steep hills without a brake i would go with longer cranks personally.

If your going to have a brake i would experiment with shorter cranks, then you can go fast and use your speed to get over things. haha its amazing what you can roll over while your go as fast as you can go. Ive plowed over bushes and even dead trees and countless giant rocks that i surely thought i was going to fall on

The wheel size i would pick by how tall you are, i would really like to get on a 26inch but i feel that it would be pretty big for me and right now im having no trouble with my 24inch.
    TEAM FUN

Comment

I have a 26" muni with dual hole cranks - 150mm and 125mm. I'm short - 5"2 and find it a nice ride. I found it sluggish and non responsive at first compared to my 26" road uni, but then I switched from a duro wildlife leopord tyre to a tioga white tiger and now it is a completely different ride!
      I can't really comment on a 24" as I haven't used one for muni, but If I HAD to choose I'd go with 26", cause its faster and I'm sure if you spend enough time on it you can do almost anything on a 26" that you could do on a 24" ???

Comment

I'm 6'3" and weigh a buck-eighty. I bought the Nimbus 26 MUni with KH 137/165 cranks, and the Freeride saddle. Off road, in the mud, or in the snow I still have the pedals in the outer holes. On the street I like them in the inner holes. I also bought a Hookworm road slick. If you are on the street, or on hard-pack it is 1/2" narrower than the Duro Wildlife, and much less bulky and therefore more responsive. But the 3" wide nobby is excellent in the snow and loose dirt and bumpy stuff, albeit a little bulky and heavy. I think I would feel a 24" is a little too small for me at my height. Later this year I will experiment with a lighter and narrower MT B*ike tire, but for now I am riding the Duro and it has been very stable and grippy on snow/ice, mud, grass, dirt, etc.

The KH is no doubt a really nice uni, but it is pricey. I am very satisfied with the Nimbus. If I decide to move up to a 29er I really like the Qu-Ax Cross. It is not a full MUni package, but looks perfect for cross country riding http://www.goudurix.com/us/29-cross-isis-black.html
        It is roughly the same price as a Nimbus 26" MUni. Unless you are doing huge drops, or a lot of rough terrain that requires a wider tire this might be a great ride.
        If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.

Comment

Originally posted by NotSoYoungOne View Post
          I also bought a Hookworm road slick. If you are on the street, or on hard-pack it is 1/2" narrower than the Duro Wildlife, and much less bulky and therefore more responsive. But the 3" wide nobby is excellent in the snow and loose dirt and bumpy stuff, albeit a little bulky and heavy.
          I also have a hookworm on my road uni, but I still think the Duro is overkill on a muni - my Tioga can go through just about anything - gravel, sand, over rocks, roots, thick grass, clay etc. etc. I haven't tried snow...so maybe the Duro has an edge there Perhaps its also a weight/height thing - smaller riders might find lighter tyres easier?
          Last edited by UNIROX; 2011-01-15, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIROX View Post
            I have a 26" muni with dual hole cranks - 150mm and 125mm. I'm short - 5"2 and find it a nice ride. I found it sluggish and non responsive at first compared to my 26" road uni, but then I switched from a duro wildlife leopord tyre to a tioga white tiger and now it is a completely different ride!
            I can't really comment on a 24" as I haven't used one for muni, but If I HAD to choose I'd go with 26", cause its faster and I'm sure if you spend enough time on it you can do almost anything on a 26" that you could do on a 24" ???
            You don't think 2" would make much difference but it definitely does. 26" is a nice all round size but for downhill 24" is the way to go.

And you're right, a 3" tyre is overkill no matter what you're doing.

Not sure why I'm posting in this thread though. The muni discussion thread or countless other 24 vs 26 threads would be better..

Comment

Originally posted by Dane M View Post
              This is something I've been looking into as well since I'd really like to get into it with all the great local spots to muni.

What I've gathered from this thread and the links to others is that 24" is generally safe for whatever you should choose to ride, and gives you the option of riding more technical trails or spots. Where as the 26" may be a little bit more geared towards distance, less techinical trails, or better riders?

Please correct me if I am in the wrong, because I should like to get my hands on a MUni soon.

Given that my impressions are based on my height as well, as I am 6' tall
              i ended up getting the nimbus 26" muni and i love it. I'm glad i didnt get the 24. On my other 24 it felt to small and i'm 6'3". I can still do some technical stuff and it still surprises me what i can roll over with the 26".

Comment

Originally posted by tzenev View Post
                i ended up getting the nimbus 26" muni and i love it. I'm glad i didnt get the 24. On my other 24 it felt to small and i'm 6'3". I can still do some technical stuff and it still surprises me what i can roll over with the 26".
                Ah its so tough trying to decide on this matter. I get such conflicting suggestions. I'd really like to be able to try some out, but I have yet to find any physical store that carries unicycles.

The main points that I want to use it for:

1. All-round get places, do uni stuff, whatever
                2. glide, would this be hard to do on a 26"?
                3. normal mountain trails
                4. technical trails
                5. downhill mountain trails

Comment

Ah its so tough trying to decide on this matter. I get such conflicting suggestions. I'd really like to be able to try some out, but I have yet to find any physical store that carries unicycles.

The main points that I want to use it for:

1. All-round get places, do uni stuff, whatever
                  2. glide, would this be hard to do on a 26"?
                  3. normal mountain trails
                  4. technical trails
                  5. downhill mountain trails
                  I agree it was a tough decision, but if i was you i would go with the 26" even though you could probably do a little more tech stuff on the 24" but you get used to the size and weight. i like the little bit faster speed of the 26" and how much it can roll over. I can stills hop on and off stuff when it gets technical it just takes a little getting used to. Its mainly just a personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by tzenev View Post
                    I agree it was a tough decision, but if i was you i would go with the 26" even though you could probably do a little more tech stuff on the 24" but you get used to the size and weight. i like the little bit faster speed of the 26" and how much it can roll over. I can stills hop on and off stuff when it gets technical it just takes a little getting used to. Its mainly just a personal preference.
                    Some good points, I thank you for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                      If you have money to burn, well then, I'd get a used Nimbus and ride that until this baby comes out:

OMFG. that is seriously one of the best unis i've ever seen.

that said.....36" MUNI FTW
                      Best of Me

18:21 Stillstand
                      255 foot railride

Comment

Originally posted by DSchmitt View Post
                        OMFG. that is seriously one of the best unis i've ever seen.

that said.....36" MUNI FTW
                        Isn't that a 29"?

Comment

it's prob a 26"....but 36" pwn for muni
                          Best of Me

18:21 Stillstand
                          255 foot railride

Comment

Some good points, I thank you for the information!
                            No problem.

Comment

Isn't that a 29"?
                              That is the prototype Nimbus Oregon 26" muni running a Surly Large Marge rim and Surly Larry tire, hub is the aluminum spindle disc hub that is available on the Nimbus 36, but it's not recommended for muni. A steel hub will standard when the uni becomes available, per Josh, in Spring/Summer 2011.

The tire rim combo is very close in diameter to a 29er running a Navegal or Stout, so it's a lot of muni. That said, you can run a standard 26 x 3" Duro if you want a more all around ride, though having been riding the Larry for the past few months, the only time I have wanted something different is when I ride faster XC trails, in which case I pull out the KH 29.

This uni is everything you could want ina muni, stiff frame, big tire capacity, disc brake, and UDC quality. Only thing I'd like to see is an aluminum frame, but chromoly steel is just fine
                              I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Ben View Post
                                That is the prototype Nimbus Oregon 26" muni running a Surly Large Marge rim and Surly Larry tire, hub is the aluminum spindle disc hub that is available on the Nimbus 36, but it's not recommended for muni. A steel hub will standard when the uni becomes available, per Josh, in Spring/Summer 2011.

The tire rim combo is very close in diameter to a 29er running a Navegal or Stout, so it's a lot of muni. That said, you can run a standard 26 x 3" Duro if you want a more all around ride, though having been riding the Larry for the past few months, the only time I have wanted something different is when I ride faster XC trails, in which case I pull out the KH 29.

This uni is everything you could want ina muni, stiff frame, big tire capacity, disc brake, and UDC quality. Only thing I'd like to see is an aluminum frame, but chromoly steel is just fine
                                wow thank you so much for the information. It looks like you could roll over cars with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X