Dear Dr. Uni, what is wrong with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colinoldncranky View Post
    (...) With the sun very high in the sky, (...)
    Won't happen in Norway this time of the year

Best regards,
    Sanne

Comment

Originally posted by Sanne.Kj View Post
      Won't happen in Norway this time of the year

Best regards,
      Sanne
      Too true! The sun rises around 09:30 and sets at 15 here now. It's night when I get home from work. But we finally got some snow, so that's nice! It's the good kind: Frosty, dry powder.

I was out in the weekend practicing left turns on the 20". No real progress yet, but I'm sure I'll get better eventually. The fat 2.2" Maxxis tire eats the snow, no problem.

By the way
      http://humoncomics.com/world-in-trouble
      Experienced noob with nimbus 24" muni, nimbus 29", and nimbus impulse 36"
      http://twitter.com/glye
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/gunnste...tags/unicycle/

Comment

Originally posted by gunnstein View Post
        Too true! The sun rises around 09:30 and sets at 15 here now.
        Denmark today (30. of November 2010)
        Sunrise: 08:15
        Sunset: 15:41
        Day length: 7 h 26 m

A little better than in Norway. - But in less than a month the days will be longer again

Haha, very true.

Best regards,
        Sanne

Comment

Originally posted by Sanne.Kj View Post
          But in less than a month the days will be longer again
          Hmmm, they will be getting longer, but at that time they will still be shorter than now.

A friend of mine loves long daylight. So you should think he is most happy around 21 June. In fact he is somewhat depressed (well, too big a word) then, because the days are getting shorter. He is the happiest just before 21 December, because he won't have to wait much longer until the days start lengthening again. It's a funny paradox.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
            Hmmm, they will be getting longer, but at that time they will still be shorter than now.
            You're right. My English is not too good, so I may be unprecise.

A friend of mine loves long daylight. So you should think he is most happy around 21 June. In fact he is somewhat depressed (well, too big a word) then, because the days are getting shorter. He is the happiest just before 21 December, because he won't have to wait much longer until the days start lengthening again. It's a funny paradox.
            I understand him.

Best regards,
            Sanne

Comment

I had the same problem. Turns out that my saddle was not level (side to side). I shimmed it using small washers, the problem is mostly gone!!
              See this link.
              http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85100
              Last edited by UniTrac; 2010-12-01, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Had this happen at the beach...

I just got back from a vacation at the beach.

In the first day I rode the uni down the beach with absolutely no problems at all. Direction and symmetry were simply non-issues. I was free to move about at will.

On the second day I fought the ride the whole way. Same beach, same direction, same uni, same everything except...

I think I was tired from the riding the day before. When the butt gets sore the brain does what it can do to relieve the pain. In doing so I'm convinced I was compansating for the pain by shifting in the saddle to one side to relieve the stress on the ischeal tuberosities.

I definitely find myself leading with one shoulder at times, but it doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it is the left... sometimes it is the right.

Part of the issue might be slight differences in foot and butt position after the free mount. After all, not all free mounts are the same, even if "successful".
                To rest is to rust... Unicycling is my anti-oxidant.

Comment

Originally posted by Biped View Post
                  On the second day I fought the ride the whole way. Same beach, same direction, same uni, same everything except...

I think I was tired from the riding the day before.
                  Maybe, but alternatively: was there more side wind the second day?

Originally posted by Biped View Post
                  Part of the issue might be slight differences in foot and butt position after the free mount. After all, not all free mounts are the same, even if "successful".
                  Adjusting your butt and feet should be doable if you need it after a less-than-perfect freemount. For the butt, increase pressure on the pedals so that you half-stand on them, if need be yank on your seat. For the feet: this is slightly more challenging. Be light on the pedal to be adjusted and wiggle your foot. E.g., if you bend your ankle sideways, you should be able to rotate your foot around the remaining contact area. Or lift your foot off the pedal, adjust position and place foot back quickly. This is best done when your foot is on the upstroke (because since you are a biped, the other foot is doing the main work ). After some more riding practice, you'll do all of the above without thinking.

Comment

Sore muscles and different mount positions, makes sense. After getting a uni with proper handlebars I find I have zero symmetry problems on level roads. Makes it tempting to get bars for the 29er too. Both hands on the bars enforce natural symmetry, while one hand on the seat does the opposite.

One thing is still a nuisance: Roads that are tilted to the side. I think someone else here pointed out that the wheel will want to turn to the uphill side, and to compensate you have to keep the uni at 90 degrees to the road surface, and lean your body the other way to compensate for balance. This works, but looks silly and is tiring.
                    Experienced noob with nimbus 24" muni, nimbus 29", and nimbus impulse 36"
                    http://twitter.com/glye
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gunnste...tags/unicycle/

Comment

I remember having problems with shoulder twist. I tried every little adjustment that I could think of that may be causing the twist. Maybe my seat was a little crooked? Were my feet twisting? In the end, when I found myself twisting, I just forced myself to ride with my shoulders straight.
                      I think we sometimes try to overthink a problem. Some problems are a result of bad habit and not some underlying technical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnstein View Post
                        Wow, that's a lot of response. Thanks all. I am clearly not alone!
                        Hi gunnstein!

I learned riding with 20" and when is first rode my 24" i was leaning to the left, and i think my left shoulder was more to the front, more then it was when learning the 20", but this effect got away over time, on the 20" i can ride with both hands on the grip or behind the back and i'm sitting straight.
                        On the 24" i am sitting straight now to, but i'm not that comfortable putting hand on the grip or behind back.
                        On the 26" the leaning is getting better the more i ride and it becomes worse when the tire pressure isn't right. Nearly don't have this problems when riding offroad.

Greetings

Byc
                        Wichtig ist nur:
                        "Beim Auffallen nicht Umfallen,
                        beim Umfallen nicht Auffallen."

Qu-Ax Luxus 20"
                        Qu-Ax Luxus 24"
                        Qu-Ax/Nimbus 26" Muni
                        KH 36" Muni

Comment

Working...
                        X