Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post

Myths
    The more experience I’m building the more I agree.
    Weight in seat and sit up straight is something that absolute beginners cannot do / should not aspire.
    Yet it is still very common advice for people learning to ride.

Just now on FB unicycle chat: “ stay on top, hips forwards, shoulders back“
    Good advice to crack the back of the beginners skull...

On level ground I can ride (without accelerating) with the seat post vertical or even tilted forward by sitting like that.
    But it is really not a posture I’d recommend a beginner to be in...

There is also an example of a gentleman trying for three years, still clinging to the fence. I suggested the fence is exactly the problem...

Comment

• Originally posted by Quax1974 View Post
      Just now on FB unicycle chat: “ stay on top, hips forwards, shoulders back“
      Good advice to crack the back of the beginners skull...
      I saw that one and thought similarly.
      Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

• Originally posted by pierrox View Post
        Could you clarify grass for me (us)?
        It is thick, plush grass. A soccer field. Over-watered so the ground under the grass isn't too firm. There is a fairly consistent amount of resistance on this surface. I wish the riders could see my neighborhood. Unicycle heaven. Almost nobody uses the basketball court next to the field. And that's just the city park. There are at least six parks within 1/2 mile of my house. I have very little reason to put my unicycle into a car.

OTM, Thanks for posting a more clearly thought out version of my method. Sounds like you have more experience teaching beginners, and that you are getting quick results on multiple occasions. You were a little bit quiet on the forum for a while.

I agree with OTM. It's hard / wrong / dangerous to expect beginners to put weight in the seat. The conventional wisdom is that a higher seat gets more weight in the seat. But a higher seat also promotes more of a standing posture. I tried riding on my neighbor's uni with its much-lower saddle. Sitting lower actually forced me to commit to putting weight in the seat. I wonder if that is also the case with beginners.

I forgot to mention one important factor in my neighbor's success. He was riding a 20". There is a new rider on the forum, scotty watty. He is starting on a 29". Scotty, if you're reading this, keep it up. It's going to take you somewhat longer to learn on a 29", but if you keep working, you'll get there. I started on a 24". I am pretty sure I would have learned faster on a 20". That doesn't really matter any more. The important thing was that I eventually bought a 20" and started learning skills on it.

Pierrox, I will think about making a video. Seems like I need a test subject who's never touched a unicycle.

Comment

• Defo on the video!
          And I didn't think about a slight incline on the grass, that makes sense too!

Comment

• Whenever I get a new unicycle I take it to the field where hubby flies his model airplanes. There is this one spot on the pit lane with a little slope that it just right to get me started. I know if I fall off or bodge my freemounts then landing on grass won’t hurt too much. Gives me a bit more confidence. Also, I ride slower on grass because there is more effort needed to pedal so I actually feel more in control than maybe when I’m on tarmac.

( It’s past my bedtime and I’m tired, my phone autocorrected ‘unicycle’ to ‘unicorn’ and I nearly posted it like that )

Comment

• Hi guys.
              Hope everyone is okay.

I’m going to be living elsewhere for a few months and there will be little or no WiFI so probably won’t be able access my favourite website.
              I’m going to be take my 20” unicycle with me.
              When I come back to this forum I’ll be posting on the ‘Today I brag thread ‘ that I can finally idle. And what the heck, maybe hop too. :-)

Keep well,
              Alucard

Comment

• That sounds like Covid self-confinement... good luck with it!

Comment

• Hi pieroxx

I’ve had a re-think. Maye I should stay away from dangerous sports for a while as I wouldn’t like to have to go to hospital. I’ll get my cross-stitch out.

Comment

• Here's a follow-up on my 19 yr. old neighbor's progress: His first 50 feet happened quickly. Now, he's kind of leveling-off, and his longest rides are around 150 feet. His best rides are the ones where he goes more slowly and conserves energy. I have tried to explain the principles of a good free mount to him. I think he has attention issues and may not be processing my advice, because he continues attempting to self mount from the weak 6:00 / 12:00 position. He mostly rides on the asphalt, but we found a couple downward sloping sections of grass in the park where he can successfully free mount. Although he can only ride 30 feet or so on the grass, he seems to enjoy the short off-road rides more than the asphalt ones. He is starting to put a tiny bit more weight in the seat, although his short rides are still sketchy looking. My wish right now is how to get him riding longer distances. My concern is that he could get stuck in the "novelty" phase of riding, then quit practicing before his riding becomes more fluid. I wonder how common the learning curve is of my neighbor (early success then a flattening out of improvement). I can imagine that would be frustrating for a learner. My own learning curve, by contrast, was more linear. Nothing came easy. But there were no let-downs, either.

Comment

Working...
                    X