Leaning to one side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaning to one side

I find myself always leaning to one side. My right arm always tends to be out or even back more than the left. I also feel that I end up sitting with more weight on the left side of the seat. I tried rotating the seat one way or the other (rotating it more left or right). Rotating left may have helped a little, but introduces other problems. Do others experience this?
    Thanks for your help.

I should have done a search first, which I just did.
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82032
    I will read this stuff and see if I have questions.
    If you have comments, please feel free anyway.

Comment

Almost everyone I know had this problem shortly after learning to ride. It's been my experience that as your skill increases this effect will fade. Youíll probably be better at turning one way or the other for a while as well.

Keep the seat on straight and keep riding, For everyone Iíve talked to about it, it eventually works itself out.

Even experienced rider will sometimes be reminded of this problem when riding across a slightly slanted surface (road camber).
      http://www.youtube.com/user/KevinAlexanderSmith

Comment

Originally posted by kevinalexandersmith View Post
        Almost everyone I know had this problem shortly after learning to ride. It's been my experience that as your skill increases this effect will fade. Youíll probably be better at turning one way or the other for a while as well.

Keep the seat on straight and keep riding, For everyone Iíve talked to about it, it eventually works itself out.

Even experienced rider will sometimes be reminded of this problem when riding across a slightly slanted surface (road camber).
        Thanks Man,
        the thread I coppied is interesting. My seat is a little slanted. I will try washers. I also will try to ride it turned around. That will be interesting. The funny thing is. Even when I was real young learning to ride a bicycle with no hands, I remember experiencing the same thing, leaning... and if I ride my mtn bike now with no hands, same freeken thing. I hate to say its me and not the uni, BUT...
        I feel my body is pretty symetrical when standing. Frustrating.
        Thanks people for suggestions!

Comment

Here's a method that's *much* better than using washers, and you don't have to remove any of the seatbolts...which is a pain! Use two "L" brackets and cut them down a bit to about 1/4"-5/16th".

Simply loosen the seatbolts just enough to slide one under the front and back of the seatpost bracket, on whichever side you need to tilt the saddle up a bit. then tighten back down.

Super easy to install and remove. For those who find that you feel more "centered" on your saddle when riding on a slight camber, that slants in one or the other direction, this method will simulate that when riding on *flat*, non-cambered roads. Works great! For some people it's not a lack of riding or "getting used to it". Some people are just built in a way that they just naturally might lean or put more weight on one side than the other. Give it a try and see if it helps. Nothing to lose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03990.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2429212

Name:	DSC03992.JPG
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2429213

Name:	DSC03994.JPG
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2429214
          Last edited by MuniAddict; 2010-07-10, 06:21 PM.
          Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
          Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
          -Dani Buron

Website
          Videos
          Facebook

Comment

I struggled with this kind of leaning at first but it quickly sorted itself out as I got better at riding.

It does pay to make sure that the frame, seatpost and saddle itself are absolutely straight and level. I have a KH Fusion Freeride saddle that came with my old N36 that is quite twisted (it came that way from the shop...). Riding on any of my unicycles with that saddle feels very strange, even now that I am a pretty confident rider.

Muniaddicts tip seems like a useful hack to quickly (and cheaply) compensate for this problem.
            Last edited by minkuni; 2010-07-10, 06:45 PM.

Comment

The other thing that will lessen road camber leaning, is *less* psi, which will allow more tire contact with the road, and it will "mold" better to the surface. Too much psi making the tire hard as a rock will create more leaning sensation when on a cambered surface. It's a tradeoff, since more psi means less RR, but letting some air out won't increase RR a whole lot, but will lessen the leaning on cambered surfaces.
              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2010-07-10, 06:53 PM.
              -Dani Buron

Website
              Videos
              Facebook

Comment

Leaning & twisting was a HUGE problem for me that only now is starting to quickly fade. My main problem was my hips not moving freely. I was "blocking" my right hip, not letting it rotate forward with each pedal stroke, and consequently I was permanently twisted to the right. I finally licked the problem by really working on my hip movement in ALL activities, inc. walking, running and bicycling. It took me forever to finally do what every experienced rider in the forum was saying, which is to RELAX, pedal LIGHTLY (it's amazing how little force is needed on moderate terrain) and lift my legs with the pedals, just enough to maintain contact and not counter-force the opposing pedal. Man I am glad that hurdle has been cleared. It took me about a year, but I learned a lot about the kinetics of riding, so that was good.

Comment

Terry
                  that was a great post. You are to be commended for going the extra mile and putting up photos.

Comment

Originally posted by rem48 View Post
                    Terry
                    that was a great post. You are to be commended for going the extra mile and putting up photos.
                    Thanks Dean. I just thought for those thinking about adding washers, this might be easier and faster.
                    Last edited by MuniAddict; 2010-07-11, 12:39 AM.
                    -Dani Buron

Website
                    Videos
                    Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                      Here's a method that's *much* better than using washers, and you don't have to remove any of the seatbolts...which is a pain! Use two "L" brackets and cut them down a bit to about 1/4"-5/16th".

Simply loosen the seatbolts just enough to slide one under the front and back of the seatpost bracket, on whichever side you need to tilt the saddle up a bit. then tighten back down.

Super easy to install and remove. For those who find that you feel more "centered" on your saddle when riding on a slight camber, that slants in one or the other direction, this method will simulate that when riding on *flat*, non-cambered roads. Works great! For some people it's not a lack of riding or "getting used to it". Some people are just built in a way that they just naturally might lean or put more weight on one side than the other. Give it a try and see if it helps. Nothing to lose.

[ATTACH]42633[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]42634[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]42635[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks a lot for your help!
                      I will try your shims. They are easy to add or subtract without removing bolts. Thanks!!

Comment

This can be 2 things:
                        1) Your uni is unbalanced
                        2) You have a balancing problem

From my experience, I started learning with a unicycle which was off balance. So when I bought a better one(well balanced), I found myself leaning to the left constantly. This got solved with time (well, 6 months!).

when I now go back to my old unicycle I realise how terribly unbalanced it was, cause it makes me lean stupidly to the right.

there are a series of tests you can run to make sure that your uni is not unbalanced, you will find them all in that thread you linked in one of your firsts posts.

Most new unicycles over £100 will very rarely have balancing problems. So you will most likely have to just get used to it. Its a pain, I know, but you do get used to it after a while!

hope this helped!

Comment

I failed to mention that often times, the "leaning", "pulling", and/or "listing" to one side is almost ALWAYS because the wheel is not properly "dished" and off center to the frame!

Same thing happens on bikes. When you or your LBS trues your wheel, MAKE SURE you are keeping the wheel centered to the frame as well! Over time, truing the wheel for side to side wobble only, can pull it more and more out of center, so you need to pay attention to dishing while you are truing. It is really an integral part of the process.

A Unicycle wheel that is even moderately off-center to the frame can definitely cause the "pulling" or leaning to one side sensation. Some people, myself included, used to think that an off-center wheel was due to the *frame* not being perfectly symmetrical, and would try to correct the problem by "Shimming" the frame bearing cap on the side with more space. WRONG! The WHEEL is off-center, NOT the frame! It is a dishing error 99% of the time.

Case in point. Yesterday during my 29er MUni ride, I was fighting against a right leaning pull for the whole ride! Halfway through I noticed that my wheel was at least 1/8" off center. I dropped it at my LBS for dishing. It was centered perfectly and I took it for a test spin. Absolutely ZERO pull or leaning. So if you experience even the slightest pull or lean--on flat ground--check the wheel to see if it's perfectly dished/centered to the frame! It can make a HUGE difference!

Some info on dishing a wheel.
                          Last edited by MuniAddict; 2010-07-16, 10:41 PM.
                          -Dani Buron

Website
                          Videos
                          Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by UniTrac View Post
                            Do others experience this?
                            Only when
                            - the wheel is not spoked in the center
                            - the hub is mounted not centered (bad frame-parts or welding-'dirt')
                            - the seatpost or frame is bend
                            and last but not least
                            - when you have an big difference in lenght of your legs.
                            - and any possible reason I forgot

Anyway; twisting the seat I see as fighting the sympthone, and ignoring the cause.
                            unicycle.show
                            unicycle.blog
                            unicycle.builders
                            +1 866 UNI-CYCL

Comment

The first thing to rule out should be 'beginner rider syndrome'. If you are a new rider, work on the basic techniques before focusing too much on any off-centered tendencies. You can look at the equipment also, but it could be a combination of factors, like the ones listed above, and physiological ones, like spinal or other joint alignment issues. Chiropractic stuff.

But first get the riding solid. Learn to freemount, ride straight, and make smooth, controlled turns to the left and right. Even, various-sized circles to the left and right. Rinse and repeat. Make sure your riding surface isn't the problem. If you always ride on a cambered road shoulder, for example, try going the opposite direction.

There are so many factors to consider, being patient and trying to eliminate them one by one is a good approach *after* getting the basic riding skills down and solid.
                              John Foss
                              www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Working...
                              X