rotary 100 bike tour (24 mile option)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotary 100 bike tour (24 mile option)

Well on Friday night around midnight I decided that I was going to ride in a local bike event Saturday morning. It was a small event they have for the Burlington, NJ Rotary. They had a 100, 65, 50, and 24 mile route. Do to the fact I haven't done much riding this year and I would not be able to get a look at the route before hand, I decided to do the 24 mile ride. When I signed up and asked if I could ride a unicycle in their event they jokingly said yes assuming I was kidding. To their surprise I really did have one and they didn't seem to mind. There was a few pic of me taken but I'm not sure where I will be able to find them.

Trip report:

There was no official start, you just left as you were ready. I set out solo and got a lot of positive responses from the riders as they passed by. Most where surprised at how fast you can get a uni to go. I was cruising along feeling great at about 11.5 to 12.5 mph. There was a short bit where I lost the road marking but they reappeared. I think I missed a turn shaving about 1.5 miles off the ride.

About 2 miles from the rest stop, half way through the ride came my UPD. There was a low shoulder I was riding in that was ending. I looked around and there where no rides or cars coming from either direction. I figured I would give it a go and see if I could just ride up it, rather then dismount. Well I was going to fast and didn't come at it at the right angle and down I went. Landed on the back of my left shoulder and elbow, also smashed my banana I had in my jersey. Picked my self up and cleaned off, no real harm done just a scraped elbow and sore shoulder. I may put a small med kit together to bring with me from now on.

I made it to the rest stop and was the only one there with the event staff. I started the short ride early and was luck they where even there. On the plus side being first means a well stocked rest stop. I stopped for about 10 mins to eat, drink, and chat. The rest made me realize that I should stop more then every 10 miles and it may make me less likely to UPD.

I set back off to finish up the ride. Being that it took less then an hour to cover the first half I assumed that it would only take a little longer to do the second. Could not have been any more wrong. As I made a right off the road I was on the tree line opened up and the wind was blowing now. As I was riding now into a strong head wing I could only manage about 8 mph. This went on for about 5 miles then the rolling hills started. I was whooped by this point taking breaks about every 3 miles or so and walking half of 2 hills. When I made it back to the start finish line I was very pleased. All in all it was a fun morning and I was home before 12:00.
    Last edited by Organic; 2010-05-16, 12:15 PM.

well done! were you riding a 36er?
    Neener, neener, neener. -harper

Comment

Yes I was riding my Coker Big One on my new Torker LX 125 cranks and love them(thanks Terry for the advice).

Comment

Hey Organic are you coming to the LBI Unithon?

Comment

I most likely won't be able to make it. If anything changes I hope I can pay the day of the event.

Comment

Congratulations on finishing the ride. That's quite an accomplishment.

Comment

Working...
            X