Nimbus Impulse 36 disk brake model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake damage Potential

Gunn, the disc bashing potential issue would 90% be of the off-road variety, and a somewhat unlikely scenario of "just the disc" coming in contact with a protruding rock. It has happened to me a couple of times in the last year, but has not damaged the rotor beyond beyond a slight bend, and nothing that couldn't be straightened easily.

Conversely, crank slides, pedal grabs, etc. on the UNI's right side ( where the external disc is) could present issue anytime.

And because of the exposed nature of the Mountainuni system, an external rotor is infinitely easier to true than one tucked behind the frame. Not saying it's a perceived or real benefit of the system, just a fact.
    Last edited by Mountainuni1; 2011-06-01, 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnstein View Post
      So... nearly a year has passed, I've got 350 km on the 29er and a bit of muni, and starting to feel ready for the big wheel. (...)
      Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm up to 474 km on the 29er, my 1 year universary is right about now, and... I just had my first ride on a coker today

Yup, I got the Impulse. Verdict so far:
      - I'm glad I learned the 29er first. Without that I wouldn't stand a chance.
      - I tried mounting by holding on to my car, couldn't do it. Went straight for freemounting instead (rolling mount), got it on the 2nd attempt. Really happy with that!
      - The big wheel is... big, but not shockingly big compared to the 29er. It was an easy transition.
      - The handlebars are awesome. I never could grab the seat of my 29er with both hands for very long, but both hands on the handlebars of the Impulse is easy.
      - There were a few UPDs, but no crashes (defined as not landing on your feet)
      - I was worried I might hurt myself on the handlebars when UPDing, but that turned out to be a non issue (so far).
      - I didn't try the brake yet, had it rotated out of the way in order to protect it in case of crashes. Will try that later (braking, not crashing (I hope)).
      Experienced noob with nimbus 24" muni, nimbus 29", and nimbus impulse 36"
      http://twitter.com/glye
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/gunnste...tags/unicycle/

Comment

didn't try the brake yet
        I'm a fellow Impulse owner and I can tell you that disc brake is butter smooth. It does not give you that scary "might grab hold and throw me off the front" feeling. Just apply gentle pressure on the lever. It feels so natural. Some of my best speeds are dragging that brake down a gentle downhill. That was before I switched to longer cranks. Now I rarely need a brake at all. I need to put my 125/110 cranks back on. The hills of Kentucky are steep but my legs are much stronger now. Then I can get back to using the brake more. Also need to get a new pair of Pulse gloves as operating the lever in Hillbilly fingerless is awkward. One final note, if you set your Shadow up like shown on UDC site, the lever is protected from UPD's. Now if I can figure how to use the Spooner when I get my new KH36G I am going to have to adjust to Maggies. More to come...
        My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
          One final note, if you set your Shadow up like shown on UDC site, the lever is protected from UPD's.
          Um.. no, not if you mean the main picture here:
          http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/co...unicycle.html/

On my Impulse, with this setup the brake lever is the first thing that hits the ground. But I note that my brake is Bengal Helix 3, while on UDC it says 1.1. Also, I don't have holes in the rim as on that picture, and my rim has a deeper profile. It seems they have made changes in the recent builds.

I had a little ride yesterday, together with friends and their kids (2-7 year olds). Lots of fun, and a much needed break from the horrible news reports since Friday.

Comment

• I also have a Nimbus Impulse and love it! Especially the very smooth and very strong disc brake. IMHO the most natural place to mount the brake is directly below the saddle handle, or as close as practical to it. Using a brake far extended from the saddle at the end of a handle always feels sketchy to me.

Here's a picture of how I've set my brake up. Since the photo was taken I've had the brake cable shortened.
            Take a squizz at my YouTube videos!

Comment

On my Impulse, with this setup the brake lever is the first thing that hits the ground. But I note that my brake is Bengal Helix 3, while on UDC it says 1.1.
              I found the lever reach adjustment screw. By bringing the lever closer in, and moving the hole thing a couple centimeters closer to the seat, there is now a decent crash protection margin.

And whaddayah know - I just had a major crash today, on my first proper ride (20 km). Going downhill a bit too fast for my limited braking experience, I suddenly went flying. My right shoulder took most of the impact, but don't worry - the Impulse is fine apart from scratched barends, and the brake lever is completely unharmed

Comment

Um.. no, not if you mean the main picture here:
                http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/co...unicycle.html/

On my Impulse, with this setup the brake lever is the first thing that hits the ground. But I note that my brake is Bengal Helix 3, while on UDC it says 1.1. Also, I don't have holes in the rim as on that picture, and my rim has a deeper profile. It seems they have made changes in the recent builds.

I had a little ride yesterday, together with friends and their kids (2-7 year olds). Lots of fun, and a much needed break from the horrible news reports since Friday.
                Sorry, we were a little behind with the spec's and photos. The photos and spec change are up on the UK site.

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles...ow-handle.html

Roger
                ++++++++++++++++++
                Roger Davies
                Unicycle.com in the UK
                The UK's Unicycle Source
                www.unicycle.co.uk
                +++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• My brake has started squeaking a lot over the last week or so. Is there something I can adjust to fix this?

Comment

• Originally posted by aarons View Post
                    brake has started squeaking
                    Day one my Impulse disc brake was unbelievably smooth and quiet. Learning to use it (my first brake) was a dream come true. After 100 miles, the brakes (when firmly applied) started making noise. You might call it "squeaking" but it's really the holes in the disc meeting the pad. It's perfectly normal per my LBS. I bought a set of Hayes pads but haven't needed them yet.
                    My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by aarons View Post
                      My brake has started squeaking a lot over the last week or so. Is there something I can adjust to fix this?
                      I have been told that the type of brake material has an influence on squeaking. If I recall, the softer synthetic stuff squeaks less and has a shorter lifetime (but I do not care.)

Ask a bike shop if switching brake pad material might help.

Scott

Comment

• I fixed it. It started after I took the wheel off to change the tube. The disk didn't go back in exactly the same way when I put the wheel back on, so the brake started rubbing. I just had to loosen the brake on the frame, move it a little so it doesn't rub anymore, and then tighten it back up on the frame.

Comment

• Impulse video

Here's a little video of a practice session on the Impulse. What the guy on the bike says can be more or less translated as: "Golly! You dare to do that??!?"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF3rr_dpmLA"]‪36er unicycle practice session‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Fashion a Tourniquet! My Magura HS33 is losing blue blood.

I still love my Impulse and I plan on keeping it fully intact as a back-up / loaner to my brand new geared (KH/Schlumpf) 36er. Florian has not given his blessing to using a disc brake with his hub so I was left with no choice but to use Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes. I just got my new rig yesterday and so far, I am not impressed with the brake. It appears to have been damaged (are these brakes really that fragile? Did I take the simplicity of my disc brake for granted?) in transit. Thanks UPS! What can brown do for you? They can beat the shit out of your package. That is what. By brakes are leaking hydraulic fluid (Magura calls it "Blue Blood" but any Kentucky Wildcats fan can tell you we bleed blue as well.) between the silver collar and the black bolt (see picture below). I've removed it and shipped it for repair. So, for the time being, I've got no brakes at all. On a positive note, I finally get a chance to ride a unicycle without a handlebar. I never bothered to scrounge up a scrap 5 inch piece of pipe on which to mount my lever (told UDC they should include one) and I didn't want to cut either piece of my Shadow handlebar.

You should have seen me (before I knew my brakes were a bust) cruising down the road pulling on the spooner lever ever so gently (having learned on disc brakes and scared of rim brakes grabbing hold and launching me off the front) only to find I had zero braking (no tension whatsoever) power. It made me LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
                              I still love my Impulse and I plan on keeping it fully intact as a back-up / loaner to my brand new geared (KH/Schlumpf) 36er. Florian has not given his blessing to using a disc brake with his hub so I was left with no choice but to use Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes. I just got my new rig yesterday and so far, I am not impressed with the brake. It appears to have been damaged (are these brakes really that fragile? Did I take the simplicity of my disc brake for granted?) in transit. Thanks UPS! What can brown do for you? They can beat the shit out of your package. That is what. By brakes are leaking hydraulic fluid (Magura calls it "Blue Blood" but any Kentucky Wildcats fan can tell you we bleed blue as well.) between the silver collar and the black bolt (see picture below). I've removed it and shipped it for repair. So, for the time being, I've got no brakes at all. On a positive note, I finally get a chance to ride a unicycle without a handlebar. I never bothered to scrounge up a scrap 5 inch piece of pipe on which to mount my lever (told UDC they should include one) and I didn't want to cut either piece of my Shadow handlebar.

You should have seen me (before I knew my brakes were a bust) cruising down the road pulling on the spooner lever ever so gently (having learned on disc brakes and scared of rim brakes grabbing hold and launching me off the front) only to find I had zero braking (no tension whatsoever) power. It made me LOL.

Usually the plasmatic crossovers are pretty durable, but whats the force from the rear wheel of a UPS truck gonna do to a little part like that?
                              Bummer. Well, if you were here in Portland, I'd fix it for you while you waited.
                              Brycer
                              Brycer1968,
                              Mayhem on one-wheel since 1968

Comment

• Originally posted by brycer1968 View Post
                                if you were here in Portland, I'd fix it for you while you waited.
                                Careful what you offer, I might show up on your doorstep. Then again, the United States Postal Service (USPS) only charged me $5 to ship the whole brake (from spooner to pads) kit for repair and rebleeding. Your tax $ at work. Can I ship them to you next time this happens? They are footing the bill on the new ones but next time is on my dime.

Looking longterm, even if I don't learn everything there is to know about these brakes, I really need to learn how to reinstall them myself. In the last few days, I think I've read every thread you posted on. Then there is a ton of literature on the MTBR forum. Magura brakes have been around forever. They are "old as dirt" like you and me. BTW, I was also born in 1968 before Kennedy's assassination and the moon landing. Face it man, 1968 was a long time ago.

Bronson suggested I have Scheller's (my LBS) put them back on (hopefully, letting me watch) and I agree. I took lots of pictures as I was taking them off and I might be able to "wing it" but I really want them set up proper the first time so I know what they are "supposed to feel like" as I make the transition from the disc brakes I know and love.

Comment

Working...
                                X