X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimT
    replied
    Originally posted by dogpoundar View Post
    I bought the same unicycle and the first thing I did was get rid of the square tire. I put a coker tire on which has a more rounded profile, and that kept me from leaning when riding on the shoulder of the road. I also got rid of the nimbus seat and put a KH free ride seat, which I later changed to a coker seat, which I have found to be the least painful of the three seats. Everyone is different when it comes to best type of seat, but the coker tire made a huge difference. (My first 36 was a coker V2 which rides like a tank compared to the lighter nimbus, I am sort of partial toward coker products)
    Dogpoundar,
    Can you say what Coker tire you used? They sell three, Button tread all-terrain, Off-Road - Non-Skid Coker and the Ribbed XLR street tire.

I have the non-skid on my Coker and it is not effected by road camber. The non-skid runs straight where the Nimbus tire has a mind of its own on cambered roads.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• dogpoundar
    replied
    I bought the same unicycle and the first thing I did was get rid of the square tire. I put a coker tire on which has a more rounded profile, and that kept me from leaning when riding on the shoulder of the road. I also got rid of the nimbus seat and put a KH free ride seat, which I later changed to a coker seat, which I have found to be the least painful of the three seats. Everyone is different when it comes to best type of seat, but the coker tire made a huge difference. (My first 36 was a coker V2 which rides like a tank compared to the lighter nimbus, I am sort of partial toward coker products)

Leave a comment:

• lightbulbjim
    replied
    Originally posted by kunstrasen View Post
    My 36er:
    Nice. The new Oracles look really tidy .

Leave a comment:

• kunstrasen
    replied
    My 36er:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• saskatchewanian
    replied
    Originally posted by makym View Post
    Can I take 29er tubes from rubber, or it must be butyl? What width of this tube will be OK?

I forget on HS33, (still have it somewhere with broken lever). With this big rim the braking power might be satisfactory. I was not using magura for a long time so my braking finger is not so strong now
    However I am not certain to the braking power. Has somebody compared magura vs disc brake on G36er already? If I have to test it on myself then I need rim with braking surface.
    Butyl is just a type of rubber typically used for innertubes. You would want something relatively wide and relatively thin. Avoid anything "heavy duty" or thornproof.

You can use the Magura brake with a painted sidewall but it will be quieter, smoother, and more consistent with a properly machined sidewall. You can sand the paint off the braking surface to improve the braking. Just take off the tire, jam a sanding block between the frame and rim and spin, switch to a finer paper and repeat, etc, etc. Works like a charm.

EDIT: on the subject of Magura VS Disk, I still have my Magura brakes, but have disks on the unicycles I use on a regular basis, including my geared 32.
    Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2017-12-18, 06:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lightbulbjim
    replied
    Originally posted by TMason View Post
    Those crazy b&ke riders commonly place the tire label at the value stem location for quick identification where the valve stem is located. But then you get into minimum length of socks. etc.... :-)
    Its not just for style - it helps to locate punctures.

Leave a comment:

• TMason
    replied
    Originally posted by Thumper uni View Post
    My 36" king George tire has a yellow circle with red writing mIT with a smiley mouth below does anyone know what this is .
    It's not uncommon for tire manufactures to place a yellow circle at the lightest portion of the tire with the intention of placing the valve stem there to achieve a closer balanced assembly. I don't think it would matter much at our rotational speeds.

Those crazy b&ke riders commonly place the tire label at the value stem location for quick identification where the valve stem is located. But then you get into minimum length of socks. etc.... :-)
    Last edited by TMason; 2017-12-17, 03:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Thumper uni
    replied
    My 36" king George tire has a yellow circle with red writing mIT with a smiley mouth below does anyone know what this is .

Leave a comment:

• UniDreamerFR
    replied
    Originally posted by makym View Post
    Can I take 29er tubes from rubber, or it must be butyl? What width of this tube will be OK?

I forget on HS33, (still have it somewhere with broken lever). With this big rim the braking power might be satisfactory. I was not using magura for a long time so my braking finger is not so strong now
    However I am not certain to the braking power. Has somebody compared magura vs disc brake on G36er already? If I have to test it on myself then I need rim with braking surface.
    I have used a schwalbe 27.5 / 29 x 1.50-2.35 schrader AV19 which weights 220gm , and now have this one 166 gm under my KG tire.

and yes you need a Stealth2 with the machined braking surface for maggura brakes.

Leave a comment:

• makym
    replied

Leave a comment:

• UniDreamerFR
    replied
    Well come to the club!

I would rather start with 150s but with this new lite tire (that I also have but not tested yet) who knows how lighter it feels?
    so maybe 137 will do the job.

I mean it's doable since UPD rides his g36 with 127 and 110 in high gear, but I suppose as a strong rider you want to be very fast.
    The two fastest g36 competitors I have in mind, Martin Charrier and Scott Wilton, use: 150s for MC and 137 for SW.

Not sure shorter than 137 will be optimal for very fast riding.

If you want your wheel even lighter, instead of a FOSS tube you can use a michelin butyl 29er tube that weights 170 gm.
    (FOSS =220 gm right?)

If you use a very old schlumpf hub (first gen?) I would rather put rim brakes (HS33 with grey pads instead of black for a smoother brake power) cause if I am not wrong you are the guy who broke a hub because of disc braking, aren't you?.
    Imagine what a 200mm disc can do to your hub associated with such a heavy wheel if you brake hard.
    And rim brakes keep the same braking power in high gear as in first gear, which disc brake don't
    Last edited by UniDreamerFR; 2017-12-09, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• makym
    replied
    Finally I decided to join 36er club

Still, we have to wait for my final setup as I am just thinking what parts shall I put together. Please be kind and support me with some good advices.

At the moment I have only KH Frame and KH One saddle, the rest I have to purchase.
    My goal is G36er for fast road riding, racing, including some great uphills. I wish to have it lightest possible, with sporty handlebar and responsive - stiff.
    I am thinking to put following parts together:
    KH One saddle
    Pivotal Seatpost
    Nimbus Shadow Base
    T-Bar (Nimbus or KH, - any difference??)
    KH frame
    Stealth 2 rim without braking surface
    Nightrider Lite tire
    Foss Tube
    Spokes, silver, (Do I have any choice?)
    Geared hub, old version.
    KH Spirit Cranks 137/117 mm
    203 mm disc rotor
    Hope Tech3 E4 brake

I have seen setup with Nimbus shadow base and KH One saddle, I think that this approach provide the most stiffness.
    I feel very comfortable on G29 117mm, thus I think that 137mm should be OK, not sure how would they work on uphills and if I find the use of 117mm hole.
    I think that going for 203mm disc is necessary for such a big wheel with geared hub. However I am very concerned on hub life.

I have horrible blue (sorry Kris) frame. How can I change the colour? I heard that sandblasting is not an option.

Leave a comment:

• Jener8or
    replied
    +4, Thumper uni, I think it looks really sharp, as well.

Leave a comment:

• Piece Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikefule View Post
    Nice looking machine. I like white frames.
    Agreed, those QX frames are sweeet looking!

You'll be climbing big hills on the 36er in no time, they climb amazingly well even with short cranks

Leave a comment:

• Mikefule
    replied
    Nice looking machine. I like white frames. You may find it gets more comfortable when you get more confident. I'm on my third 36 and have decided to stay on 150s for the versatility they offer. Have fun on it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X