Schlumpf hubs: general discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mowcius View Post
    The ideal solution might be to send it to Jakob for modification...

https://www.facebook.com/flansberriu...73381552895176
    I was going to post it here hahaha.

So far so good on mine! I haven't ridden that much since I built it back, but I have tested it with loose bearing caps even and it wont slip!

My schlumpf sat in a box for about a year, because I was tired of riding it while it slipped and ruining my bearings because I rode it too hard. I ended up giving a try on a first gen Schlumpf hub, which had the little arm bolted on the frame. Since that hub couldn't slip, I was actualy able to ride uphill without worrying about falling off, I could push as hard as I wanted in either direction. I took my hub out of its box, ordered a new set of bearings, took it apart, modified it, and back together! I only use it on road or gravel now, I've been rough on it in the past while riding muni, it doesn't like my type of riding.

I'd be willing to modify existing hubs, but it voids Schlumpf's warranty!

Send me private messages, emails, or facebook messages, or instagram for the interested
    Jakob F.

Comment

• I also have a "slippery problem" with the new Schlumpf hub (M8XX). These two small blocks donīt stop the knurled bearing in the bearing cap. They damaged my frame. Little blocks on Schlumpf hub cutted off marked parts (see attached photo). I tried aluminium tape, too. Certainly gear oil makes the knurled bearing slippery. I thing the Schlumpf hub needs better solution for this problem.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by MilanMUni View Post
        I also have a "slippery problem" with the new Schlumpf hub (M8XX). These two small blocks donīt stop the knurled bearing in the bearing cap. They damaged my frame. Little blocks on Schlumpf hub cutted off marked parts (see attached photo). I tried aluminium tape, too. Certainly gear oil makes the knurled bearing slippery. I thing the Schlumpf hub needs better solution for this problem.
        Interesting to hear this after Jakob's seemingly completely different experience.

What were you doing at the time the hub slipped? What size wheel?

My biggest fear is hard braking in high gear causing a slip (although the slips I have had happened when setting off in high gear and trying to accelerate hard).
        "Ride It Baby!"

Comment

I also have a "slippery problem" with the new Schlumpf hub (M8XX). These two small blocks donīt stop the knurled bearing in the bearing cap. They damaged my frame. Little blocks on Schlumpf hub cutted off marked parts (see attached photo). I tried aluminium tape, too. Certainly gear oil makes the knurled bearing slippery. I thing the Schlumpf hub needs better solution for this problem.
          Did you not modify the bearing holders to hold the little blocks? do the new hubs come with any instructions in this regard?

Can you post any pictures of your setup and the damage?
          My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

• mowcius:

I have Schlumpf on my KH36. Itīs great to ride on 36" wheel in 2nd gear. Itīs like flying. The hub slipped "only" 2 cm on each side. It happens to me when I shift gold button (to 2nd gear) and put pressure on the back pedal. The knurled bearing was certainly oiled from hub and therefore it happens. Solution is to clean it after couple of rides and check bolts on bearing housing.

saskatchewanian:

I don't modify the bearing holders to hold the little blocks but Iīm going to buy new KH frame and put 1 mm thick staninless steel plates on the bottom of bearing housing and rub down 1 mm from frame brackets. Maybe itīll helps keep the blocks on place and theyīll donīt cutt off the aluminium parts from the frame.

The new Schlumpf hubīs instructions for set up is the same like the older ones.

Iīll post photos later when Iīll clean the bearing housing from gear oil. Now itīs clean and dry.

Comment

mowcius:

I have Schlumpf on my KH36. Itīs great to ride on 36" wheel in 2nd gear. Itīs like flying. The hub slipped "only" 2 cm on each side. It happens to me when I shift gold button (to 2nd gear) and put pressure on the back pedal. The knurled bearing was certainly oiled from hub and therefore it happens. Solution is to clean it after couple of rides and check bolts on bearing housing.

saskatchewanian:

I don't modify the bearing holders to hold the little blocks but Iīm going to buy new KH frame and put 1 mm thick staninless steel plates on the bottom of bearing housing and rub down 1 mm from frame brackets. Maybe itīll helps keep the blocks on place and theyīll donīt cutt off the aluminium parts from the frame.

The new Schlumpf hubīs instructions for set up is the same like the older ones.

Iīll post photos later when Iīll clean the bearing housing from gear oil. Now itīs clean and dry.
              That doesn't sound right at all. I'm wondering if your frame is from a generation that is compatible with the new Schlumpf hub.

The little knobs should be under the lower bearing caps. The lower bearing caps should not have the lip like the top one in order to fit the added knobs on the new Schlumpf. Adding anything that will make the bearing housing not fit like they do originaly wont make it any better. The knurled bearing is meant to be in a 42mm round piece, like machined bearing caps so it can have as much contact as possible with the frame.

Please post pictures, there must be something wrong in the setup.
              Jakob F.

Comment

• jaco_flans:

I have the latest version of the frames. It's the disk version without magura mounts.

Steel is harder than aluminium and braking surface is small. That's all...

Comment

• Steel is harder, therefore it's easier for the bearing to slip on it. On mine, there are clearly marks as the bearing could be "planted" into the aluminium.
                  Ok, I'm not a great rider and don't put a lot of torque into mine, so I never had a problem. I agree though that the small leaks from the hub end up lubricating the bearing holder. Also, I noticed the importance of blocking the holders at the right torque. I ended up buying a little torque wrench set at the right torque.

Comment

The Schlumpf 36er sounds great. I only got up to a 27.5 but I was just borrowing a wheelset so re-lacing into something larger wasn't really an option.
                    Do you use the official Schlumpf grease? I do wonder whether my slippage problems were partly caused by the thinner oil that has been put in the hub (not by me I might add) leaking out more than normal and coating the knurled bearing. It was definitely something I was cleaning off the housing and frame more than I thought I should have been.
                    Last edited by mowcius; 2018-11-26, 09:08 AM.
                    "Ride It Baby!"

Comment

• pierrox:

Staninless steel plates in theese places (picture)

mowcius:

Yes, I use only original grease from Florian.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• My idea to use set screws just left and right of bottom center into the bearing cap, is meant only to create some additional pressure against the knurled bearing surface without penetrating it. The bearing cap is first brought up to proper torque to make sure there is no Play Between the bearing cap and the bearing. This way the set screws won't lift the bearing off the bottom of the cap but only to provide additional pressure to prevent slippage.
                        Last edited by MuniAddict; 2018-11-26, 09:25 PM.
                        Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                        Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                        -Dani Buron

Website
                        Videos
                        Facebook

Comment

• Here's an example how the set screw should work with the knurled bearing. The photos below are from one of my piano repair jigs with tubular legs that fit snugly inside aluminum blocks which are then locked in place with set screws. The set screws leave a slight indentation in the legs but just as they won't budge once the set screws are snugged against them, my guess is they would have the same effect on the knurled bearing.
                          Attached Files
                          Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                          Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                          -Dani Buron

Website
                          Videos
                          Facebook

Comment

pierrox:

Staninless steel plates in theese places (picture)

mowcius:

Yes, I use only original grease from Florian.
                            If you put steel plates there, the bearing cap wont be able to clamp down the bearing. Post pictures of your actual frame and how it's setup. I see only 2 options, frame was defective and the lip was too thin or, it wasn't installed properly.

Show us what you got!
                            Jakob F.

Comment

• I'm with Jacob. This can not happen, if everything is set up as it should be. I also have a M8xx hub and only use one of these blocks (modified QX frame, grove for this block in the middle of the upper lip, see here) and there's no slipping at all. Also, as Pierox says, the knurled surface of the hub (steel) made the soft aluminum frame knurled too.

What you describe is wear/abrasion. That can only happen where parts move. A properly installed M8xx Schlumpf does not move. So you hub must have started to move in the frame first and thus chew off the lip. The question is: what made this movement possible?
                              Einradfahren in Sachsen:
                              einradsachsen.com
                              f/EinradSachsen
                              07.06.2020: Europamarathon

Comment

• Here is photo
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X