Question about learner unicycles:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about learner unicycles:

Hey, I need a good deal on about 5 unicycles for the Phillips Exeter Unicycling and Juggling club. Budget is around 500.
    Deals I can get locally:
    Torker (newest) CX * 5 for $405
    Avenir MTB * 5 for $500
    Summit 20 * 5 for $375

We want a mid quality learner, so not like an isis nimbus 2, but not a dimension whatever the hell that breaks after a week.

Things that are important:
    • Ok seat
    • Mild strength (can take a curb without a problem)
    • 20 inch wheel is best
    • Replacability/uses standard parts.
    • Looks are kindof important, as a nice looking uni will garner more people to join.

If you could, make sure to leave room for shipping in your suggestion!
    Last edited by Jeremy R; 2009-11-07, 08:32 PM.
    MountainUni
    or make it a dinglespeed - saskatchewanian

Cmon guys!
    MountainUni

Comment

I use a club unicycle. it works really well, has many color options, and has held up to my usage very well. I got a nimbus gel seat with mine so I can't tell you how it is, but the investment is only $15 and feels great.

I was going to post the link but i can't seem to find it at the moment. I bought mine ond UDC and got a reasonable shipping offer. I'll post the link when I find it.
      Last edited by Clint May; 2009-11-08, 11:27 PM.
      Latest Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9dUtNMCFM

Comment

Have you tried UDC? 1-800-UNICYCLE. Use the phone and ask for a deal. Also add if you think you will need more unicycles in the future!
        John Foss
        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy R View Post
          Things that are important:
          • 20 inch wheel is best
          • Replacability/uses standard parts.
          The Unicycle.com freestyler 20" and the Qu-ax luxus are quite similar and make good learner models in my opinion, they both have the square crown and a reasonable saddle, although I would avoid the standard freestyler seat and get a KH one for the availability of standard replacement front bumpers. The Qu-ax luxus handles look exactly the same as the KH one but it seemed to crack much faster as I've never had a KH one break in years of using many of them.

Comment

I'm surprised that quick release seatpost clamps are not a requirement - much easier than carrying around a tool to find and use everytime a different rider wants to ride.
            Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
            www.unicyclemagazine.com
            http://twitter.com/UnicycleMag

Comment

Those price are pretty good.

Stay away from the Summit, those things are pieces of....yanno.

Go with the Torkers, especially if it's a local shop. The 5/$400 deal is pretty swank. I work at a webstore and the best we can do on 5 CX's would be $400+shipping...and that's pissing my boss off.

Comment

Hey DoctorPunch, are you at Sunrise or Brands? I used to live in Wantagh and Brands was right down the street!
                John Foss
                www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Out of the three you have mentioned, the torker cx is superior. Unfortunately the seat is child-sized, and it will probably need to be upgraded for larger riders. However, the seats on the other models you mentioned break quite easily (many of the other components are also stronger on the cx).
                  Also, the cx has a quick release seatpost for easy adjustment. One thing you may want to consider: purchase a few full-sized seats and longer seatposts, and they can easily be swapped onto any of the unis for the larger riders.
                  Just my $.02
                  Austin

If you can get a good deal on the club unicycle from udc (or possibly the lx), they would be an upgrade over all the unis you have mentioned. (most of the sun junk is in between the avenir and the cx, don't even consider it)
                  Last edited by OneWheelLess; 2009-11-11, 02:59 AM.
                  android power.

Comment

I called udc, new container is coming in soon!
                    MountainUni

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                      Hey DoctorPunch, are you at Sunrise or Brands? I used to live in Wantagh and Brands was right down the street!
                      CycleFast USA, formerly Frenchie's Cycle World in Huntington Station.

We run a webstore too: www.bicyclebuys.com

I've been pushing for a while to get better unis like KH and Nimbus, but it's kinda hard convincing an old man set in his ways that a $600 unicycle will sell. I was offended at the summit unis.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorPunch View Post
                        I've been pushing for a while to get better unis like KH and Nimbus, but it's kinda hard convincing an old man set in his ways that a $600 unicycle will sell. I was offended at the summit unis.
                        If you're offended by those, you would have been horrified at what bike shops carried back when I lived on Long Island. The Schwinns were the good ones (Schwinn dealers only, of course). There was a single shop I was aware of that carried the Miyatas. It was a family-run place up in Oyster Bay.

But if your store isn't a big warehouse, it can be too expensive to house merchandise that doesn't move. Most unicycle shoppers (esp. in bike shops) are looking for starter unicycles, and will pass over a multi-hundred dollar cycle for something affordable. But once you establish that there is a market in your area (or do some online sales perhaps), that can change...
                        John Foss
                        www.unicycling.com

Comment

We run a retail store and a webstore out of the same building. We used to only carry the Avenir/Cycle Pro unis until I got into it. We then brought in Torker CX's and one day BOOM! My boss went uni crazy ordering LX's, TX's, DX's, that meh Avenir Trials uni and those POS Summit unis. His faith in these things lays solely on me.

Comment

So, Jeremy....what did the club finally order from UDC?
                            Old, fat, slow, bald, nearsighted, flatulent, no-talent KH wannabe

Comment

Working...
                            X