Which 29er tube for 36"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Engineer on a Unicycle View Post
    Is that a presta valve then, or just a schrader that shares that feature with one?
    My tubes are all Shaders.
    "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

Speaking of the tube itself, I've been wondering a bit about getting a spare as I start doing longer distances on the 36er.

What I haven't figured out is how many miles of walk-out compare to carrying around the necessary tools and supplies and hand-pumping a 36er from nothing with a portable pump.

And on the tube itself, how often is replacing the tube going to be a noticeable win over field patching with a tiny kit? Anything near the valve, and presumably any large tear, but that would probably call the tire into question, too.

I've hear rumors like needing three extra large tire levers; realistically what would one need to carry?

Stopped next to a guy on the roughly paved trail changing a road bike tire, his comment was he'd never had a flat on his mountain bike, but they were a common frustration on a road bike. Presumably we get the large tire benefit and then some.
      Last edited by Engineer on a Unicycle; 2017-05-22, 08:26 PM.
      Nimbus 36 & 26

Comment

I'm using Michelin Butyl 700mm 35-47mm : 175g !
        http://monocycle.info
        http://www.leblogdumonocycle.fr/
        CITY XTP 26", MUNI KH26" & KH29", ROAD Oracle 32" and KH36"
        my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bouin-bouin View Post
          I'm using Michelin Butyl 700mm 35-47mm : 175g !
          Successfully installed this tube on my Geared 36er (following bouin-bouin's choice), it is 168gm, who can say less?
          It fitted well the King George tire.
          My previous tube was a 220 gm schlwalbe 29er tube, and since the Schlumpf hub makes the wheel heavy, I appreciate this 50gm lighter tube, I'm pretty sure I felt some difference during my last ride. (you know, the one I crashed at 17 mph because of a accidental downshift )
          - Geared kh36 + Nightrider Lite + Kh Tbar + HS33
          - Qu-ax 36" + nightrider +Q-handle+ cable rim brake
          - kh 29" + knard 29x3+ kh Tbar + HS33
          - Qu-ax trial 19"
          -24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Comment

I don't have a 29" tube in my 36. I have a 36" Foss tube. Makes an amazing difference to weight, comfort and response. I also have a Foss tube in my 29. Highly recommended. (I haven't checked, but I'm assuming they're still available.)
            My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer on a Unicycle View Post
              What I haven't figured out is how many miles of walk-out compare to carrying around the necessary tools and supplies and hand-pumping a 36er from nothing with a portable pump.
              The lezyne floor drive HV or HVG is my weapon of choice for unicycles. They also sell a high pressure version that is extremely light but it doesn't pump nearly as fast. Ditch the gauge (which really isn't useful below 40 psi anyway) for extra weight savings. It's a very comfy pump and can get a 36er tire back up and running reasonably quick. I carry it for my fat tire too. (weight is around 200g for the high volume, and 150g for the high pressure with no gauge)
              Steel is real! => I ride a Nimbus!

Comment

Working...
              X