Best Car Hitch (Bike) Unicycle Rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by capuni View Post
    I like the Thule Big Mouth for transporting uni's on the roof rack. I just put the seatpost in the clamp and the wheel sits in the runner just like a bike. Just a tip... set it up so the wheel is in front. That way you won't get bug guts all over the top of your saddle.
    My wife and I have one and hated it for bikes. Took your advice and we can fit both our trials unis in one Thule Big Mouth skull and cross bones style. The only problem we've found so far is the straps aren't long enough to secure the wheel and the two seat posts will rub themselves raw if there is no padding to separate them. Will keep you posted about how well this holds up.

CHEERS!

Comment

Any difference really between the Thule
      http://www.etrailer.com/p-TH957.html

and something like this
      [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Deluxe-4-Bike-Receiver/dp/B001PLG7UK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405429203&sr=8-2&keywords=allen+hitch+bike+rack"]Amazon.com : Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver) : Automotive[/ame]

which is a lot cheaper?

I have an adult mountain bike, a 36, a 24 muni and a 20" kids bike.
      KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
      Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
      Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

Comment

I don't have one; I am in the market as well. However, it looks very similar in design. I need to transport a bicycle and 2 unicycles on vacation in 3 weeks. I need to make a decision very shortly! This type is as the top of the list.

Comment

Gonna go with the Thule. Looks like the Allen is a bit shaky.

Comment

Saris Freedom

I've had a Saris Freedom for about a year now. I've only used it a few times but when I do put it to work it is easy to load and everything is secure.

I've had a 36 and a 29 on it; or a 36 and a road bike.

You're not going to hang 3 or 4 unis off of it but it works great for my needs.

It took me 2 returned racks before I settled on this one.
            To rest is to rust... Unicycling is my anti-oxidant.

Comment

I have this one:

http://www.discountramps.com/bicycle.../p/BC-9584-3A/

It's steel, heavy, and bullet-proof. Fits both 1 1/4" and 2" receivers. (I use the 2".)
              Works for me. I use it fairly frequently when I take the family bikes along with my 36" to the bike paths.
              "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

Anybody use the Thule Parkway on an Odyssey? Gonna pull the trigger; it seems the best priced. How many bikes unis can I expect to fit on it? I see some of the platform racks, but for 4 bike ones they are very expensive. Is it realistic to carry 3 or 4 bikes/unis on the 4 bike carriers anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
                  Anybody use the Thule Parkway on an Odyssey? Gonna pull the trigger; it seems the best priced. How many bikes unis can I expect to fit on it? I see some of the platform racks, but for 4 bike ones they are very expensive. Is it realistic to carry 3 or 4 bikes/unis on the 4 bike carriers anyway?
                  We have an Odyssey and I use the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Vertex-9029-Bike-Hitch/dp/B00653V9RE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406325208&sr=8-2&keywords=thule+hitch+bike+rack"]Thule Vertex[/ame] . The Vertex is a very solid rack; however, I have one gripe...it doesn't lock on to the car unless you purchase a separate lock from Thule. To secure it to my cars, I purchased a chain and a Master lock from Home Depot and laced it through the hinge on the bottom of the rack and to the hitch.This seems more secure than the rack lock from Thule and costs a lot less. Other than that, this is a awesome rack!

Comment

I forgot to add that the ability for this rack to lean away from the back door of the Odyssey is an nice and almost necessary feature.

Comment

Does the parkway not allow easy access?

Comment

Didn't realize with a lot of these you can't swing them away loaded without spending at least $300-500 on something like the Thule vertex or apex.

Comment

Didn't realize with a lot of these you can't swing them away loaded without spending at least $300-500 on something like the Thule vertex or apex.
                          Make sure to check Craigslist for bike racks.

Comment

Got the Swagman XTC-4. Putting it together now. I'll post a review when I get some experience with it.

Comment

Alright so I took my Swagman XTC-4 on its first trip.
                              - Oracle 36
                              - Kona full size mountain bike
                              - 20" kids bike
                              - 16" kids bike

The 16" bike didn't easily fit in the wheel loops, but I had extra space, so I just stuck it in the back. The rest of the wheels fit great. I tried some different things with the 36, but settled on putting the wheel in one loop then using a bungie cord to secure the seat and post down to the other wheel loop.

I had one issue, which is that apparently I bottomed out on a pretty steep gravel road and bent one of the empty wheel hoops. It's pretty strong metal so I am going to have to take it to a shop to see if they can bend it back. A new set costs $40. I don't blame the rack for that; it's just something to watch out for when going up steep non-paved roads.

All the bikes were very secure. Putting together the rack took a few hours. The hardest part was getting the bolt through the ratchet arms, but it was all-in-all pretty easy.

Access to the rear is limited when both ratchet arms are up. You'll have to take the bikes off the arm closest to the tailgate to get access to the rear of the car.
                              The thing is quite heavy, so it's a bit much to take it out if you are only hauling one bike or uni.

I've never had another hitch rack, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I am satisfied with this. I like the flexibility of the platform type of rack. It seems well suited for unicycles.
                              Last edited by kahunacohen; 2014-08-14, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I tried some different things with the 36, but settled on putting the wheel in one loop then using a bungie cord to secure the seat and post down to the other wheel loop.
                                That is exactly how I put my 36ers on my Swagman XTC 2. The hook (big ones that ratchet up and down the main post) hits the big 36" wheel close enough to center. Add a couple of HitchMate velcro straps to secure the wheel at the hook and of course the factory rubber straps at the bottom to see that the wheel stays in the tray. Glad to hear your XTC 4 is working out.

Remove the main post and it carries my wife's ElliptiGO.
                                Last edited by DavidHood; 2014-08-16, 11:22 PM.
                                My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X