No announcement yet.

Best Car Hitch (Bike) Unicycle Rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are the straps long enough to go around the tire?

Originally posted by AustinLee View Post
    Thule 954 RidgeLine will carry a 36 with a handlebar
    Thank you for your reply. If I could trouble you for a little more info I'm leaning toward this model with the only thing holding me back being that my LBS only carries Saris for me to test mount in the store and the straps were just barely long enough to go around my NightRider (certainly not long enough for Ben's friend Larry) tire. How long are the straps on the Thule? Can you describe, in detail, exactly how you would go about mounting it? My Jeep has a lift kit so it is tall enough that I could probably leave the frame to dangle and sway upside down (seat/handle pointing to the ground) or even better with the frame strapped into one of the "anti-sway" straps. But, on a normal car, I would think you are mounting it seat up and leaning to one side or another.

P.S. have you ever bent or damaged a spoke when transporting your 36er?
    My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

I am out of town at the moment, and my 36 is in pieces until my new tube and tire arrives, but I did take a few pictures of my 24 mounted, which I will post later today or tomorrow.
      "Light a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

"'Your' and 'You're' are sworn enemies. If you misplace them, it could lead to violence."

My Youtube

Comment

I have the thule two bike hitch rack, can't remember the name, but it has four cradles and a center stand with two hooks. It works great for tires up to 2.5", larger tires require a longer strap or a bungee cord. I use bungees at the seat post to hold the unis to the center stand/hooks.

Big enough for two 36er on each side or two 26er munis per side.

It's heavy, all steel.

I am going to have a rack made, 6000 series aluminum, single upright rising from the draw bar, a lower lateral bar with three trays, upper later bar with padded straps. So the unis will run in tandem, enough room to pull one out without distrubing the others. This is the one I'll use on the back on my Scamp camper
        I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. My wife and I have one car and it's pretty easy to over pack, so the roof rack comes in handy. HOWEVER, the bike rack we have is a fork mount only and the rear wheel strap is too short to fit my fat trials tire.

If only there was a roof rack for uni's?

Comment

there are roof racks and hitch racks that use bike carriers which grab bicycle fork tips. I made something for the T7 bars, I can make something similar for the shadow, and I'm working on things that attach to the seat post and rear bumpers... I think there's a market.
            Attached Files
            Retrofit Disc Brakes to your existing unicycle today!

Comment

Here is my muni on our rack. It is not the exact same rack as the one I linked you to, because my model is discontinued, but any rack with the same strap system will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1233.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	2434488

Name:	100_1234.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	2434489

Name:	100_1235.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	2434490

Name:	100_1236.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2434491
              "Light a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

"'Your' and 'You're' are sworn enemies. If you misplace them, it could lead to violence."

My Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by kb1jki View Post
                there are roof racks and hitch racks that use bike carriers which grab bicycle fork tips. I made something for the T7 bars, I can make something similar for the shadow, and I'm working on things that attach to the seat post and rear bumpers... I think there's a market.
                Hmmm, looks like I may be a day late and dollar short.

Comment

I'll take a picture of my Muni next to my brother's Downhill bike. I just did a 450km trip with it on the back of the car and it was still there! I'm will put it back on monday when we will leave and I'll take a picture then.
                  Jakob F.

Comment

what down hill bike does he have? i had a demo 8
                    Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan

Comment

Originally posted by knoxuni View Post
                      He has a Devinci RC 2011. He didn't used it much yet, the season just started but we're here for a competition. I'm here to see if I can ride these huge mountains a little bit in the unused trails.
                      Jakob F.

Comment

dang! sexy bike.
                        Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan

Comment

Originally posted by knoxuni View Post
                          Not to derail this thread, but Demo 8's are pretty sexy too! There's a few of them in my DH crew.

I've got a Sinister R9 Shorty. (hence my name )

/Thread derail off
                          Nimbus 24 MUni
                          Nimbus Trials
                          Triton 29'er w/MountainUni disc brake system.

Comment

rederal: I loved my demo8 but DH mtb is expensive! close to 1000 for 2 seasons. Pure DH uni is so much better

Comment

36er on a Swagmen XTC2

Thanks to everyone who shared pictures and advice. I truly appreciate it. I did tons of research online (know more about bike racks than I ever wanted to) and wheeled my kit into several different b*ke shops (cannot stress sticking your wheel in enough displays) until a culmination of two months planning (getting the hidden hitch installed) when this kid said why "strap it to a hanging style rack" when you can "sit it on a platform style rack"? I thought max wheel size for platform racks was 29" but the 36er fits nicely. The "frame grip arms" push down (hopefully not too hard as to untrue things) to hold the other end of the wheel quite securely. It did great at 70mph (leap of faith) all the way home. I'm quite pleased with it and it only cost $199 (that Kuat is nice but it's $450)! Loading and unloading is super quick and easy!
                              http://www.swagman.net/products/platform-racks/xtc-2/
                              My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell all my unicycles for what I told her they cost.

Comment

http://www.thule.com/~/media/Product...08&thn=1&w=618

This is a nice rack, will carry a 36er and up to four munis, or a couple bikes, or one bike and two munis.

It's heavy, but it works well, way better stability than the hanging racks.
                                I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

Working...
                                X