Fastest speed on a unicycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest speed on a unicycle

I figured it might be a kick to see people's fastest speeds. This is all out top speed you have ever hit. I'll start with the speed I hit today when riding to work.

Speed (mph), Name, Location, Unicycle
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    26.1 mph, Corbin Dunn, Los Gatos CA USA, Geared KH36
    http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
    maestro8 fan club
    Justin LE fan club

That's pretty freakin' fast, and it's incredible that others have surpassed it, even on ungeared (Christian Hoverath may have approached 30 mph during a ride some years ago as he raced to catch up to a bike while riding downhill... small cranks).

I'm pretty sure my fastest was during the Lobster. Oddly enough, it wasn't on that final huge descent (where I averaged 18 mph for two miles on a geared 29" -- awesome!). It was on a gravel road during day 2, as I raced to catch up to that amazing Signe (the Danish girl) on a slight downhill. I hit just under 23 mph on my 29" guni. It was like waterskiing.

On the Central Park bike loop, I've hit 22 a few times and can always reach 20 and usually hit 21. Funny that a gravel path would be my fastest track.
    Last edited by David_Stone; 2009-06-03, 07:33 PM.
    Dictator for Life,
    NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
    http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by corbin View Post
      I figured it might be a kick to see people's fastest speeds. This is all out top speed you have ever hit. I'll start with the speed I hit today when riding to work.

Awesome-
      20.2 mph, Samuel Farmer, West Sussex England, Qu-ax 36 with 114mm cranks
      http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/i...ent-173x63.jpg

Comment

What cranks?

I think I'm still going faster down hills on bigger cranks because I feel more comfortable, but need more practice. I'm somewhere around 23mph so far on my 36guni.

ro

Comment

19.9 MPH, Peripatet, Jacksonville, FL, KH36 w/125's

Me gonna practice some more.

Comment

Methinks corbin wants a list, like the one below. I haven't added myself, because my fasted recorded speed probably is due to GPS inaccuracy - and it's not even fast (but too fast for me on a 26" with 125's).

Last edited by hansc; 2009-06-03, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah, a list would be interesting to gather statistics, but it isn't required. It will be also interesting to see how people get faster.

Roland -- I've been using 150's on my geared KH36. I may try 125s after my tour this summer (on the guni 24 muni).

I know that the german speeders hit 27mph at RTL; they were blazing past me on some downhills!

corbin
              maestro8 fan club
              Justin LE fan club

Comment

haha, talk is cheap, let's see a video and speed verification! I do believe it, if only because you did it on a geared 36er. But it would still be awesome to see it videotaped, and maybe by a friend driving a car, and also tracking your speed.

FYI, For those who may not know, Chuck Edwall is the fastest human on a 36er, geared or otherwise. Puts everyone to shame! (And makes it look effortless!)
                Last edited by MuniAddict; 2009-06-03, 10:41 PM.
                Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                -Dani Buron

Website
                Videos
                Facebook

Comment

22.6 mph, Spencer Owen, Nottingham UK, Schlumpf 29 127mm cranks

Hmmm.... is the location my location or where I recorded the speed? Anyway, it was in Dorset UK at last years BUC. I'm sure I've been faster a couple of times (and the GPS has even said 259mph!), but that's the fasted recorded believable speed I've done so far.

STM

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                    haha, talk is cheap, let's see a video and speed verification! I do believe it, if only because you did it on a geared 36er. But it would still be awesome to see it videotaped, and maybe by a friend driving a car, and also tracking your speed.

FYI, For those who may not know, Chuck Edwall is the fastest human on a 36er, geared or otherwise. Puts everyone to shame! (And makes it look effortless!)
                    When I saw your post, it said 26er and when I tried to quote you it said 36er. Is that from an edit?

My own edit: Indeed it seem that you had edited it after I saw your post.
                    Last edited by crazyjoe; 2009-06-03, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post

I posted a picture on my blog of my speedo from this morning. Take a look! A car driving along is not a good indicator of speed; it varies too much.

Also, Chuck is FAST! There is no doubt about that -- he holds the current records over a given distance.

But I'm not sure if he has gone the *fastest* for pure max speed. Back when we were training for RTL I could pull away from chuck on the downhills (granted, that was before he got a brake, which allows you to go faster). And, the speeders were definitely faster at the downhills than I was.

Maybe chuck will chime in with an update

-corbin
                      maestro8 fan club
                      Justin LE fan club

Comment

Speed (mph), Name, Location, Unicycle, Crank size
                        26.1 mph, Corbin Dunn, Los Gatos CA USA, Geared KH36, 150mm
                        20.2 mph, Samuel Farmer, West Sussex England, Qu-ax 36, 114mm
                        19.9 MPH, Peripatet, Jacksonville FL USA, KH36, 125mm
                        22.6 mph, Spencer Owen, Nottingham UK, Schlumpf 29, 127mm
                        22.9 MPH, Scott Wilton, Madison WI USA, Nimbus 36, 114mm

I've done 23-something with 89mm cranks last year, but I couldn't find the data anywhere, so 22.9 is my fastest recorded on my computer.
                        Last edited by scotthue; 2009-06-04, 12:38 AM.

Comment

22-23 mph, sloppily measured by a pacing car, John Foss, Jones Beach Bike Path (next to Wantagh Parkway), Wantagh, NY, 1986 or so, 45" Unicycle Factory Big Wheel (28 pounds), 6.5" cranks.
                          Last edited by johnfoss; 2009-06-04, 05:07 AM.
                          John Foss
                          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

My best time is 38,74 km/t. I guess it is 24,2 mph down a hill in Denmark.
                            It was on my Nimbus 36 with 114mm cranks.
                            Last edited by Lottrup; 2009-06-04, 07:55 AM.
                            Ethjulet cykel - UniSalg.dk UDC Denmark

Comment

You're all lying

I'll add mine to make the normal people feel better:

17mph, Rob Northcott, Somewhere on Dartmoor, Mongrel 36er, 145mm.

(and that scared the crap out of me - usually don't go over 16mph).

Rob
                              "Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antopolski)

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

Working...
                              X