Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unicycle Spotting / Sighting Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unicycle Spotting / Sighting Thread

    I did a search of "spotting" and "sighting" and found a bunch of independent threads of intereting unicycle spottings but nothing to pull them together. Hopefully this will catch on going forward.

    This is for sightings or spottings of the unicycle found in daily life and/or in unusual or unique situations. For example: Unicycles seen in art, street art, magazines, decor, etc. This is not for spotting unicyclists. Think of this as similar to the Unicycle Articles, But Wait There's More thread.


    First contribution:

    I was driving through Anacortes, Washington a few weeks ago. They have a city-wide mural project, which historical scenes are painted on wood cut-outs. As I passed through an intersection a "fiddling unicyclist on giraffe" mural caught my eye. The unicycle was well done but the post and seat don't quite line up. The name painted in red on the front pouch says "Hillbilly Willy".

    .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by UniBrier; 2009-03-21, 02:54 PM.
    Steve

    Hop Drop & Roll

    “If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
    shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

  • #2
    There is a Unicycle at the start of an episode of house. The one where the brother has hepatitis and gives his sister cancer by donating his liver? Oh wait, thats like every episode of house.
    661
    MountainUni
    or make it a dinglespeed - saskatchewanian

    Comment


    • #3
      Washington likes it's uni murals. Here is one along the Burke-Gilman trail in Fremont. Ignore the actual unicyclist, and you'll see a turtle on a uni, a narwhal on a uni, and a flamingo on a (possibly flamingo) giraffe.
      Attached Files
      Tom Blackwood is like a shadowy figure behind a 36" tree...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jeremy R View Post
        There is a Unicycle at the start of an episode of house. The one where the brother has hepatitis and gives his sister cancer by donating his liver? Oh wait, thats like every episode of house.
        There is also the scene in Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure after his precious bike is stolen and while all he sees are bicycles, a unicyclist rides by.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by UniBrier View Post
          The name painted in red on the front pouch says "Hillbilly Willy"
          I believe this is the first time I've seen unicycles associated with hillbillies.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by idiorythmic View Post
            I believe this is the first time I've seen unicycles associated with hillbillies.
            Do real hillybillies sport fanny packs? (Apologies to those in the UK.)
            Raphael Lasar

            To Plotz is Human
            To Shvitz Divine

            Comment


            • #7
              A show in Australia always has a 20inch kh in the background with the wheel continually spining somehow,it was a kids show "the shack"or somthing along those lines.
              If Emos are so anti-conformist why do they all look the same?

              Comment


              • #8
                iCarly (tween TV show) had an art scupture of a Elephant head mounted to a 24" uni...it looked like a waste of good Uni...but what do I know about art?
                Ride On...
                Vince

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JJuggle View Post
                  Do real hillybillies sport fanny packs?
                  They do if they're street performers. That clearly looks like it's rendered from a photograph of a street entertainer. Otherwise why include the waist pack? And the artist may have flattened the perspective a bit, making the seat post disappear behind the rider's leg. The unicycle is clearly a Schwinn. The big question is, who's the rider? Probably not Kris Holm...

                  Below is one of the three "great seals" on the ground in front of the California State Capitol building. This one is about early history, including the early Spanish Missions up the coast. A closer look reveals what looks like a giraffe unicycle?? Apparently this was the cattle brand used at one of those missions, though I was unable to figure out which. It would be interesting to know, along with what that image really represents!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by johnfoss; 2009-03-23, 04:45 PM.
                  John Foss
                  www.unicycling.com

                  "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTMqPTIbvzI&feature=fvhl"] Spot the unicyclist @ 0:10/3:17 [/ame]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                      Below is one of the three "great seals" on the ground in front of the California State Capitol building. This one is about early history, including the early Spanish Missions up the coast. A closer look reveals what looks like a giraffe unicycle?? Apparently this was the cattle brand used at one of those missions, though I was unable to figure out which. It would be interesting to know, along with what that image really represents!
                      Ancient Astronauts brought their advanced UNICYCLE technology to the Native Americans in California! W00t!

                      Or perhaps Kage Baker's writings are not just stories?

                      Inquiring minds want to know!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Adam Savage from Mythbusters rides a giraffe in the shop during one of the viewer specials

                        Comment


                        • #13


                          Part of a campaign to share rides. I've seen other posters of the same nature that have pogo sticks. I guess the creator of the poster did not realize that people actually commute by unicycle.
                          DC UNI
                          * * *
                          ====

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by explosionsq View Post
                            Part of a campaign to share rides...I guess the creator of the poster did not realize that people actually commute by unicycle.
                            Unicycling is a great way to commute to work but I don't think it's practical for ridesharing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by explosionsq View Post

                              Part of a campaign to share rides. I've seen other posters of the same nature that have pogo sticks. I guess the creator of the poster did not realize that people actually commute by unicycle.
                              I guess you don't believe people actually pogo stick to work.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X