Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any older people (especially women) here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any older people (especially women) here?

Are there any older women in this sport? I am very new. I will be 50 this year and tried my daughter's boyfriend's unicycle last weekend. I played on it for a couple of hours and all I can do is go straight down the street. No turning and no going backwards. I'm sure my face shows such concentration that I look constipated LOL. Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm too old to get into this? I think I would enjoy it, but as much as jumping and all that looks fun I'm afraid I might break. Perhaps I'm a fish out of water.

So my question is where are all the older women?
    Advice on a first unicycle? Should I get the Nimbus II? I do love mountain biking--climbing but not very technical trails. Is the Nimbus too overkill for not being very aggressive? Thanks.

No offence to anyone, but try Cathwood.
    MountainUni
    or make it a dinglespeed - saskatchewanian

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/user/ttt8699

Terry "Unigeezer" Kills it, I believe he is "MUNIADDICT" on this site

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UfOGNyJ158&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UfOGNyJ158&feature=channel_page[/ame]
      Last edited by Standupnfall; 2009-03-03, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I was not implying Terry was a woman ,
        just that he is the age you mentioned and is quite good

Comment

Not only are you not too old, there is a community of unicyclists, several around your age, in the Bay area for you to ride with! If you get interested in MUni (trail riding) or road riding. Or basketball, which is played weekly in Berkeley.

Originally posted by Standupnfall View Post
          I was not implying Terry was a woman
          But it is a unisex name...
          John Foss
          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

I'm a woman! I'm 39. I've been at it now for just over 2 weeks. I can go down the entire length of sports authority now, about 90 feet. I need to learn to turn now as I just finished the entire length of the sidewalk. I'm getting a KH20. But I want to do flat, street except grinds and jumping lots of stairs, mild muni, trials except large drops, and just riding. I'm only 5'1" so 20" uni will be it for me. Most people seem to go 24" for muni and larger ones for distance too.

I would just ride and see where you go. Now that I'm older, things break and healing takes longer so I have my limits now. Like I cant fall over 5', dont do rails and such where falling cant be controlled, etc. I also always wear pads now. I recommend knee pads and wrist guards at least.

Nimbus is a good all around uni but how tall are you first? If you are really tall, I would consider a bigger uni then 20".
            Last edited by cbs; 2009-03-03, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbs View Post
              I'm a woman! I'm 39. I've been at it now for just over 2 weeks. I can go down the entire length of sports authority now, about 90 feet. I need to learn to turn now as I just finished the entire length of the sidewalk. I'm getting a KH20. But I want to do flat, street except grinds and jumping lots of stairs, mild muni, trials except large drops, and just riding. I'm only 5'1" so 20" uni will be it for me. Most people seem to go 24" for muni and larger ones for distance too.

I would just ride and see where you go. Now that I'm older, things break and healing takes longer so I have my limits now. Like I cant fall over 5', dont do rails and such where falling cant be controlled, etc. I also always wear pads now. I recommend knee pads and wrist guards at least.

Nimbus is a good all around uni but how tall are you first? If you are really tall, I would consider a bigger uni then 20".

I thought you were supposed to be out practicing!

Comment

I was out for an hour! Its across the street. Its like 25F here lol. But yes, from 40 to 90 feet today. And I stopped having a seizure on the uni, now I wont get it on video, darn!

Comment

I was out for an hour! Its across the street. Its like 25F here lol. But yes, from 40 to 90 feet today. And I stopped having a seizure on the uni, now I wont get it on video, darn!
                  Good job! I was just kidding

Comment

I am 5'5" with a 31" inseam. I was wondering if I should get a 20" since it's easier to learn on or a 24" since it sounds more versatile. Hmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by johnfoss View Post

But it is a unisex name...
                      I think you meant munisex.
                      munisano

Comment

I am 5'1" with an inseam of 28" so thats why I am limited to a 20". The lowest of a 24" is about 28" so you would be OK. I think most people here agree that a 20" is easier to learn on unless you are like 6' tall. I will let others comment as I'm a newbie just working on getting good enough to uni to work and back for now. I think the fat tire is nice as it rolls easily over rocks and twigs and all. I have a skinny tire for now. Anything is good to start on. You could look for a 20" torker used to start on and resell it later when you know what you want to do and need.

Comment

Are there any older women in this sport?
                          Depends on, how you define "older"
                          I will be 50 this year (...)Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm too old to get into this?
                          Certainly not. I'm 51 an begun 2 years ago.
                          So my question is where are all the older women?
                          Well, I'm right here - in Denmark but I don't feel "older" - only kind of mid-age!

Go for it. It's fun.

Good luck,
                          Sanne

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy R View Post
                            No offence to anyone, but try Cathwood.
                            What offence?

Anyway. I have several Nimbi (Nimbuses ?). They are very nice unicycles. I learnt on a 20". I don't do anything very exciting, mostly distance riding and a bit of hockey when I can.

If you can do it, then you're not too old. Sounds like you're making good progress. It took me many weeks of practice to get that far!
                            Cathy

Comment

Never let anyone tell you what you can and can't do, everyone is unique. If you believe in yourself then you can do whatever you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X