Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<Kris Holm, Look Here>KH/Nimbus/coker/UDC/Koxx/quax/........... tires DISCUSSION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <Kris Holm, Look Here>KH/Nimbus/coker/UDC/Koxx/quax/........... tires DISCUSSION

Coker has their own tire producing equipment.

Koxx has try all.

Nimbus/KH/UDC/QUAX has Maxxis.

Why don't we produce a uni specific trials tire. It should be covered in micro knobbies with some regular ones, providing premium grip.

We have our own seat posts.
    We have our own rims.
    We have our own seats.
    We have our own hubs.
    We have our own frames.
    We have our own cranks.
    We do not have our own tires.

Lets change that!
    MountainUni
    or make it a dinglespeed - saskatchewanian

I say we name it hungry4uni. That would be a tire I would buy!

Plus it makes sense. Tires ARE hungry! They love to eat little rocks that they pick up on the trails. I'm serious.

Hungry4uni all the way!

Good idea Jeremy.
    COLBY
    THOM BROS

Comment

Originally posted by hungry4uni View Post
      They love to eat little rocks that they pick up on the trails.
      And the occasional squirrel! :0
      Last edited by Jeremy R; 2009-01-20, 01:40 AM.
      MountainUni

Comment

How exactly is your suggested design any better than what's on the market? Have you tried every tire on the market and still, you're unsatisfied?

Can you please detail for us what each tire lacks that your design fulfills? This would be a good starting point for a discussion.

Just curious, Jeremy... do you know what production facilities Kris is using to make his current products? Do you know if they have equipment to manufacture tires?

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to design and prototype a tire? To manufacture a tire? At $30 a tire, how long do you think it would take Kris to recoup all these costs?

Or would he even recoup his costs? Say, if only 20% of the unicycling community bought one of his tires, would that even be enough? Would there be any crossover into other markets, at all?

Don't you think Kris has considered this already?

Kids, please think before you post.
        "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

How exactly is your suggested design any better than what's on the market? Have you tried every tire on the market and still, you're unsatisfied?
          I don't know if mine is better, thats why DISCUSSION is in the title. I have tried the CC, and I slip around all the time.
          Can you please detail for us what each tire lacks that your design fulfills? This would be a good starting point for a discussion.
          20 years ago, nothing lacked anything, but it was improved to what it is today. what about the double crown? there wasn't a real problem, just a tweak ti make it better. Each tire today slips around so much, its ridiculous.
          Just curious, Jeremy... do you know what production facilities Kris is using to make his current products? Do you know if they have equipment to manufacture tires?
          Yes, I do, to a degree. Not 100% sure on the tire part. But I know Coker does, so thats why they are in the thread name.
          Do you have any idea how much it would cost to design and prototype a tire? To manufacture a tire? At $30 a tire, how long do you think it would take Kris to recoup all these costs?
          Well, we are a forum of engineers, I am sure that there would be plenty of community help on what the tire would be like. If UDC sells say... 2 trials unicycles a day, and each of them were equipped with a KH tire standard, it couldn't take too long. Plus, as far as samples, kris would need to do large orders so I'm sure the company that makes them would give samples for testing.
          Or would he even recoup his costs? Say, if only 20% of the unicycling community bought one of his tires, would that even be enough? Would there be any crossover into other markets, at all?
          Less than 20% of the unicycling community even own a trials set up. yet trials still makes enough money. I'm sure it would fly.
          Don't you think Kris has considered this already?
          Most likely, I'm just putting brain food out.
          Kids, please think before you post.
          Age has nothing to do with the mind and its process. Unless your old, then age can affect it.
          [/quote]
          MountainUni

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy R View Post
            Less than 20% of the unicycling community even own a trials set up. yet trials still makes enough money. I'm sure it would fly.
            Great. Let's start here. Give me your source for this statistic, then calculate the revenue Kris would take in if all these unicycles were sold with his tires.

Then research what Kris might pay to manufacture these tires. Give Coker Tire Co. a call if you need some hints. Let's see if this makes business sense, before we even begin discussing a design.

Keep in mind, when the design discussion begins, you'll need to have researched ALL your competitors to make sure you're not producing something that's already on the market.
            "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Ok Maestero, think of all the freestylist, people who just ride, people who only muni, distance, or other. that is over 20&#37; of the community. There are so many riders not on the forum. Street performers etc. Its no source, just spectualtion. Its more likely my stat is true than that you are in fact a billy bot alternate account. (very likely.).

And hence why I said KRIS LOOK HERE, so he can see and let us know poosibilities.
              MountainUni

Comment

[quote=Any Terrain;1174333]Who told you that evry tire slips? Or are you assuming this?
                You cannot make assumptions with such a small sample size.
                I have heard from other riders about monty, onza, tryall, etc slippage.

...This may just be proof it does...
                Are you referring to your post here
                [/quote]
                MountainUni

Comment

Originally posted by Any Terrain View Post
                  Jeremy... I have ridden a CC and now a Tryall....
                  The CC slips on slippery surfaces. The Tryall has not slipped yet.
                  Ok, but thats just your opinion, I have heard of people who slip with a tryall as well.
                  MountainUni

Comment

I don't know if mine is better, thats why DISCUSSION is in the title.
                    Ok, but thats just your opinion, I have heard of people who slip with a tryall as well.
                    One cannot have a "DISCUSSION" by refuting every claim with "that's just your opinion". That sounds more like a teenager arguing with his parents.

How about "what surface are you slipping on"? ...or "how new / old is the tire when it becomes slippery"?

Comment

Age has nothing to do with the mind and its process. Unless your old, then age can affect it.
                      With age also comes wisdom, (hopefully) life experience, and...wait...I'm trying to remember... oh yeah, unfortunately, sometimes alzheimer's.
                      Last edited by MuniAddict; 2009-01-20, 03:14 AM.
                      Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                      Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                      -Dani Buron

Website
                      Videos
                      Facebook

Comment

Actually it seems like he is talking about his personal experience with the tire which is what most people discuss... so its a fact. Besides, some people try to jump up things which are physically impossible to gain traction on.

I think some parts are good the way they are and it isn't necessary to make everything unicycle specific.. such as pedals, brakes, rims, tires, seat posts (Thompsons for instance), and whatnot. I think that limiting a product to unicycles only will increase the end cost for us.

So unless someone can make a tire that grips anything and never folds... using parts from trials bikes isn't that bad.

Comment

I think it would be sweet if someone made a tyre like that Jeremy, with micro knobs on the inside and large knobs on the sides, but it would probably cost alot to produce, as a whole new mould would need to be made just for this particular tyre.
                          joemarshall - Be careful not to bugger the shifty shaft.

Comment

Try-all, Eagle-Claw.

'Nuf said.

Comment

You just made a huge generalization about trials tires saying that they all slip like the CC, which I don't even think is true.

In my opinion, the CC is the second grippiest trials tire out there. It is really, really, really grippy. The only thing bad about it is it's paper thin sidewalls which fold like crazy. The Eagle claw is the perfect CC. It has thick sidewalls, grippy tread, and is pretty much the perfect trials tire. The try-all is also great too if you are doing more than just trials, although it isn't as grippy as the EC.

Also, if Kris was to make a tire, I think that it would be a much better idea to make a mountain tire. We already have a few good options for mod tires coming from Monty, Maxxis, and Tryall, we don't need more. (although they would be nice).

However, we have no good 24 by 3 mountain tires anymore. The only readily available tire is the Duro which I don't think is a good tire. It is slippery, has a very round profile (which I don't like for my style of riding but that some people do), and also has thin (ish) sidewalls. The IRC Kujo is gone, the holy Gazzaloddis are gone, the Intense DH tires are gone. We have no good mountain tires, where we have many trials ones.

Also though, on maestros points:

Producing a tire takes a huge amount of time, labour, and money. You have to have molds produced, along with rubber testing and all other sorts of things and it's all very expensive. For unicycling you wouldn't even make very many tires either, just because not many people unicycle, and even less people ride trials or mountain unicycles and need those kind of tires.

w/e though, I'm really tired and I have no clue what I just said, I'm going to sleep.

'night...
                              Miles

Comment

Working...
                              X