No announcement yet.

Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dunno how much they might have changed, but the lever for my maggie is way shorter than the one in that render, and would probably even fit on the bar-end.

Comment

• I have long levers on my maggies. My next handle is going to be set up really similar to that using the back T part of a T7 with bar ends as the font of the handle. I had it set up like that very briefly last winter and it worked well, even with heavy mitts on.

I could see it not working so well with the newer levers though.
      My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

• Yeah the modeled brake lever is just a mockup, of more like a HS22 than a HS33.
        I like ergonomic bar ends. And I might weld something like this to adjust the brake.

Last edited by vincelemay; 2009-03-25, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• I modified my T7 with a bike seat sort of like in the early posts in this thread. To account for some of the weak welds and such, I attached a high-tension cable to the ends to offset some of my body weight while riding. I also included tensioners so that I can release the tension when I'm not riding.

I'm not quite done yet, though. I'm also planning on having some steel triangle supports welded onto both the front and the rear vertical plates surrounding the rails. I saw someone repair a broken T7 that way (can't remember who it was).

The short bars in front of the seat help with downhill riding a bit. They pose somewhat of a risk in case of a forward UPD, but I've already had to deal with that issue a few times and I think I can build a reflex to avoid grazing it.

Team Freestyle

Team Roadshow

"people have been having sex since probably the 70's, maybe earlier" -- tumbles

Comment

• Originally posted by vincelemay View Post
            Hi roadies,

I'm going to build a few handlebars shortly to test more riding positions on my 36" guni.
            I designed something between the coker PI Bar and the custom "bike stem" ones, but without the wideness and with a lot of adjustability. It's simply bolted over the KH handle and the seat tube (27.2mm).
            I prefer relatively close-to-the-saddle handles. But I'll keep the "toptube" pretty long first, then cut it to the length of the best position found after testing. It will be made of Alu 6061-T6, except for the steel bolts. Total model weight = 516 g. I'll probably hack a few more grams with more machining or thinner tubes, right now the design might be a tiny bit overkill.

Inputs are welcome of course.

Vince
            Cool design work Vince, elegant, modular, simple too. It's great how different everyone's solution to bars are!

Couple of things I wondered looking at your bars:

I guess you are a taller guy as it looks like the bar could only be used by a rider tall enough to have sufficient seat post exposed, and the ability to adjust the bars also depends on that.

Without a CF seat base there could be a fair amount of flexing up and down as well as side to side.

It seems quite vulnerable to damage from UPD's.

Will it be tricky to adjust/tighten the bolts at the rear when the bar is fitted, as shown below?
            Attached Files
            Pete

MUni & MTB, Victoria Australia
            http://digitalhippie.net

KH36 Rollercoaster MUni | GUni Gear Shifting

Comment

• Originally posted by Joseppi View Post
              Ouch, is that a unicycle or a surgical instrument?

TBH as inventive as it is it's unnerving seeing guys use T7's as top bars, even if as only temporary solutions.
              Pete

MUni & MTB, Victoria Australia
              http://digitalhippie.net

KH36 Rollercoaster MUni | GUni Gear Shifting

Comment

• @joseppi:

That looks as if you're about to invent the ejector seat for unicycles.
                Last edited by munirocks; 2009-03-25, 11:24 PM.
                µ-knee

Comment

• Thanks.

Yes, I have quite some space on my seat post, even on the 36er. It sure is not so simple for short people, some can't even consider a T7 without cutting their frame!

I'm pretty confident about the stiffness of the DVL Horns. I have tried the Coker PIbar and it's quite stiff. I use a very similar pivot/clamping system on the seatpost, and on top of it I use the front of the KH saddle (which is still relatively stiff) to stabilise the bar. Don't look at it as pivot points when tightly clamped.
                  Flexing is as much an issue for this design as it is for the T7 touring handles. The alu tubing I'll use is stiffer than the 4130 tubing used on the T7. Of course, in case of a really bad fall involving a car running over the handle, well the bar won't be bendable to its original position
                  For normal UPDs, the bar ends will twist first and absorb the impact if they're tighthen correctly (not over-thightened).
                  As for your last question, there is only 4 bolts per stem. The middle section has bolt passage holes. The bolts are threaded into the last section. So the two tubes are clamped at the same time. See image :

Originally posted by lunicycle View Post
                  Cool design work Vince, elegant, modular, simple too. It's great how different everyone's solution to bars are!

Couple of things I wondered looking at your bars:

I guess you are a taller guy as it looks like the bar could only be used by a rider tall enough to have sufficient seat post exposed, and the ability to adjust the bars also depends on that.

Without a CF seat base there could be a fair amount of flexing up and down as well as side to side.

It seems quite vulnerable to damage from UPD's.

Will it be tricky to adjust/tighten the bolts at the rear when the bar is fitted, as shown below?

Comment

• Cmon guys! The answer is much more simple- and almost started.
                    MountainUni
                    or make it a dinglespeed - saskatchewanian

Comment

• Originally posted by lunicycle View Post
                      Ouch, is that a unicycle or a surgical instrument?

TBH as inventive as it is it's unnerving seeing guys use T7's as top bars, even if as only temporary solutions.
                      Yeah I mean, I know about all the points of failure. I know it's a bit risky but I still want to try it because I have a spare T7 to mess around with :P

Originally posted by munirocks View Post
                      @joseppi:

That looks as if you're about to invent the ejector seat for unicycles.
                      It does kind of look that way in these pictures. The cable actually connects like this on both ends:

Team Freestyle

Team Roadshow

"people have been having sex since probably the 70's, maybe earlier" -- tumbles

Comment

• i like the handlebar from vicelemay! i just think the saddle will be to wide in the front for a streched position...

turtle's V update:
                        Attached Files
                        If everything's under control, you're going too slow

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf

Comment

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          That is my dream machine!
                          munisano

Comment

• If you redesign the frame a bit so the wheel is further back, you could add another wheel under the handlebars for stability at speed. Perhaps add a chain drive to keep your legs in a comfortable position and...

Sorry - it's looking interesting, although those wide handlebars look like they'd be pretty hard to avoid in a front dismount. All these mods are a bit extreme for me (I don't really do much pure road unicycling - prefer bikes for that), but it's inspired me to want to try some sort of simpler extended handle on my 36er. Keep at it

Rob
                            "Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antopolski)

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

• Originally posted by rob.northcott View Post
                              If you redesign the frame a bit so the wheel is further back, you could add another wheel under the handlebars for stability at speed. Perhaps add a chain drive to keep your legs in a comfortable position and...

Sorry - it's looking interesting, although those wide handlebars look like they'd be pretty hard to avoid in a front dismount. All these mods are a bit extreme for me (I don't really do much pure road unicycling - prefer bikes for that), but it's inspired me to want to try some sort of simpler extended handle on my 36er. Keep at it

Rob
                              I see where you're coming from. I'm excited about the creativity and new designs that people are coming up with. I think Turtle's V frame looks like a really fun ride, but I think we might be coming to a point where the evolution of the unicycle meets a devolved bike. I like unicycles because they're different from a bike. I don't think I could complain about "where's your other wheel?" comments if I was riding something like this that really does look like you're missing a wheel.

We're still in the R&D stage on this one, so I like seeing Turtle's updates. The cagemount on the aluminum bridge is pretty sweet. I could see making a cross-country trip on something like this with a good amount of gear packed inbetween the V.
                              ----------------------------------
                              dreamrapper.wordpress.com
                              www.unicyclemax.com

Comment

• Originally posted by vincelemay View Post
                                Hi roadies,

Hey Vince, that's super cool! I'm just getting into machining (picking up a mill this Saturday!) and I'm hoping it will open up a lot of possible things I could make. I'd love to check out your 3d Drawings -- could you email them to me? cd at bluetreesoft dot com.

Here's my current handlebar setup; brazed to one position, but it works great, and looks similar to some of the positions yours has. 329 grams total. I'm going to write a blog post about it soon, and I'll post details here too. It's all cromoly steel, but quite light.

corbin
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	2420798
                                http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
                                maestro8 fan club
                                Justin LE fan club

Comment

Working...
                                X