post your homemade handlebars here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goldenchickenreincarnated View Post
    Impressive! What do you usually watch on the iPod screen while cycling?
    Classic episodes of Ozzie & Harriet. Haha, no, I just listen to music.
    Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
    Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
    -Dani Buron

Website
    Videos
    Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
      Clever but... I don't know, wouldn't that make the steel too brittle to bend without damage?
      I have never done it but saw it recommended a few times in the frame building forums on mtbr.
      My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

• or just find an old b*ke and do like that http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80244
        Jakob F.

Comment

• OK, I may have shown a pic of this setup back in some old thread, when it was on my Coker. Now I use these bars on my KH29 Guni.

It's made with a tandem bike stoker stem, a long "L" shaped stem holding a short piece of handlebar, and bar ends. It's comfy.

I've still got to improve this because the brake is awkward , and I'd like to put a Ken Looi bell on there. Also, the riding position could be lower.
          Attached Files
          steveyo
          ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few uni race write-ups
          - muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

Comment

• It looks close to the seat, and the angle of the bars looks rather downward to me. Also the two bars don't seem to be at the same angle, is that on purpose?

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
              It looks close to the seat, and the angle of the bars looks rather downward to me. Also the two bars don't seem to be at the same angle, is that on purpose?
              I did say it's a work in progress!

The two bars are offset because the bar ends are small and I crunch my thumbs together otherwise. The angle works quite well for me, though I would like it a little farther forward.
              steveyo

Comment

• Originally posted by steveyo View Post
                I did say it's a work in progress!
                Yes but I did not comment on the issues you mentioned that you are working on.

Comment

• Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post
                  I have never done it but saw it recommended a few times in the frame building forums on mtbr.
                  A common method of bending tubes without crimping is to fill them with sand. Same applies whether cold-setting or hot-setting.

Cheers,
                  Eoin

Comment

• Steve

Nice handle. If you want it lower it would be easy to raise the boom part a bit and flip the quill stem upside down. That is what I did with a similar setup when i finally realized that lower is better. It might also make it easier to reach the brake handle from the handle grips.

On the bar I used this winter I swapped the grips so they faced out instead of in to give me room for the thumbs of my big mitts when it is -30˚. It worked really well and I think I am going to keep it that way on my MUni bar.
                    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

• Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post
                      Steve

Nice handle. If you want it lower it would be easy to raise the boom part a bit and flip the quill stem upside down. That is what I did with a similar setup when i finally realized that lower is better. It might also make it easier to reach the brake handle from the handle grips.

On the bar I used this winter I swapped the grips so they faced out instead of in to give me room for the thumbs of my big mitts when it is -30˚. It worked really well and I think I am going to keep it that way on my MUni bar.
                      A couple good ideas, Eric. I may just try them upside-down and/or inside-out. Also mucking around with with an aerobar.
                      steveyo

Comment

• it was just made to test some measurements for a "right" handle but it works so well - and now I ride it for half a year and 2000km.
                        please excuse the dowdy finish - if I had thought to use it more than three days I would build it with more quality

its made from an broken KH 20" and its very stiff in combination with a carbon saddleplate - this one is made from Axel "akaestle".

If do it once more I would use a 6mm bolt instead of 8mm in the front.
                        Attached Files
                        bei tierquälern hört die toleranz auf.
                        wer elfenbein konsumiert tötet elefanten,
                        wer fleisch ißt quält und tötet
                        www.ridetriton.com

Comment

• Didn't see this thread before - so, the pictures are already some weeks old.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	TB1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	2428902
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Bastel03.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	2428903
                          Marcus | youtube | municycle.com
                          I ride for fun

Comment

• Originally posted by hugo View Post
                            Didn't see this thread before - so, the pictures are already some weeks old.....

[ATTACH]42239[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH]42240[/ATTACH]
                            Nice work Hugo. I too have been modifying the KH lift handles with hole saws and endmills to cradle different custom unicycle handlebars. Not sure what type of plastic (HDPE??) it is made from, but with all its webbing up front, it is very strong - even when heavily bored out as you have done.
                            I just finished a batch of about eight "Black Cocks" that are more for MUNI than distance, but when you see the picture, I think you will see why it got that name.

Brycer
                            Brycer1968,
                            Mayhem on one-wheel since 1968

Comment

• Yes, please post pictures.

The advantage of my T-Bar: You can pull it out by removing just one screw. That makes it suitable for a mixed distance and Muni ride, perhaps with s geared hub on a 26" uni. And it is short enough to carry it in a backpack. You only need to be careful with the hole in the handle, it may be dangerous for the fingers.
                              Marcus | youtube | municycle.com
                              I ride for fun

Comment

• You should make a plug.

Comment

Working...
                                X