No announcement yet.

post your homemade handlebars here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @mr impossible- nice work on your handlebar set up. I like the clever use of the adjustable stem. With your new carbon bar, have you thought about flipping it over and increasing the angle on the stem? It might give you a more flat handle position out in front which you may find to be more comfortable.
    Find out about my latest Enduro XC rides and races at my blog.

http://www.markandhisunicycle.wordpress.com

Comment

• Originally posted by napalm View Post
      With your new carbon bar, have you thought about flipping it over and increasing the angle on the stem? It might give you a more flat handle position out in front which you may find to be more comfortable.
      I did try that; it sort of works. At the maximum up angle, the handles are still tilted slightly downward, and are closer in. With just a little more up angle, and distance, it would be pretty good.

It does seem to offer a little more crash resistance, since the bars will hit straight down, and the bumpers I put on the end will work better.

Comment

• Hi.
        This is plainest and chipest decision, that I was able to invent.
        The handle made from PP fittings, the tube is a piace of 22mm aluminium tube, although you may use common bicycle underseat tube. But in this case there will be impossible to install additional devices, like brake lever or bell ring.
        What is interest, I use this combination several years and find it more comfortabe and suitable, then many famous saddles and handle bars are.
        Attached Files

Comment

• _-------------------------
          Last edited by Zivit; 2020-02-23, 04:38 PM. Reason: Delete

Comment

• Originally posted by Zivit View Post
            Hi.
            This is plainest and chipest decision, that I was able to invent.
            The handle made from PP fittings, the tube is a piace of 22mm aluminium tube, although you may use common bicycle underseat tube. But in this case there will be impossible to install additional devices, like brake lever or bell ring.
            What is interest, I use this combination several years and find it more comfortabe and suitable, then many famous saddles and handle bars are.
            Zivit,
            Cool, I like simple and low cost. My first homemade unicycle had a saddle similar to yours. That was about 60 years ago.
            My current 36" unicycle has a homemade handlebar that cost about $3.00 (192.22 ₽ Russian Rubles).

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200512_142316.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2803579 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200512_143101.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	2803576 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200512_142446.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2803577
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200512_155206.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	2803578
              I got inspired by Flansberriums asymmetric T-Bar design. I don't have a lot of spare cash to order a custom piece that I'm not sure I would like, but my dad has a shed with a Mig welder and a few angle grinders. So I got KH T-Bar ends, some steel tube and flatbar from the hardware store, and spend some hours turning those into the finished result you can see in the picture.

First ride impressions: great for cross country, since compared to the standard plastic handles, I now have a space for two hands. I'm still not 100% used to it on technical sections, but I think once I have a few more hours on this setup I may prefer it over the trusty old plastic handle. The brake is in a very natural spot, on the smaller hops I did it felt great. I haven't done any larger gaps, or really rough sections, so I'll still hold my final judgement, but so far I'm optimistic. It makes the seat tilt a lot more when pulling on it, which is noticable on uphills, or jumps. That will probably require a slight change in technique.

If I do a second version, I'll have a few small changes I'd do to the angles, and also the distance between the handles. But as a first try, it is great.

This probably is by far the most "structually important" welding I've done, so I'm also a bit anxious to see if it holds up to the stress. (I'm pretty sure it will).

If you don't have the tools, skill, or time, Jacob @flansberrium will sell you a much prettier product. If I end up liking this a lot, and finding some spare cash, I might end up buying one from him.
              In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Nice job. For saddle flex prevention, you can still extend/replace the flat part so it also attaches at the seatpost bolts (like the KH reinforcement plate does).

Can't wait for the second part of the review
                => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

• Originally posted by finnspin View Post
                  I got inspired by Flansberriums asymmetric T-Bar design.
                  I hadn't seen Jacob's thing before (probably because I don't use Facebook!), it looks pretty nice.

My muni handle is a single bar "droopy dick" sort of thing, mounted to the saddle with a gadget ex-forum-member (ex-rider?) Nurse Ben made. I really like it, but the saddle mount is wearing out. Maybe I can just get that piece from Jacob and figure out another single bar thing.

Comment

• I like this a lot. I find the normal 90deg T-bar handle extensions give a very uncomfortable wrist angle and long wondered why more people have not experimented with angled handles. After much trial and error I have found a very comfortable position (for me) by completely cutting the T-piece from my shadow handle bent extension and putting the bar-end directly onto that. It also gives great angle and height adjustment by independent rotation of either the extension or the handle (overcoming one of the main draw backs of the shadow handle which is lack of adjustment). Of course this solution is only good for one handed use but on long flat sections I can always rest the other hand on the normal saddle handle, or on top of the other hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
                      Can't wait for the second part of the review
                      Part two (but not quite final). I took it for a longer ride, with much more difficult sections. It feels great to ride one handed too, and having a place to rest my second hand for the more boring sections (and Berlin has quite a lot of those inbetween the short but good trails), is great. I think I will even be fine with using my left hand to brake for a bit on long rides, to rest my right hand.

Speaking of that, I think it is easier and more relaxed to hold onto/pull on this handle compared to the plastic bumpers, since you can get a good wrap on it with your fingers. Which is nice on uphill sections.

I haven't done much maximum braking, but I think I am slightly weaker with my braking finger with this handle for some reason. Not much, but a bit (I have also changed brakes to a shimano a few months back so that may also be the cause of that feeling). But I was getting a bit of arm pump with the shimano before, and didn't experience any since switching to this handle.

It does pull the saddle "behind" me a bit on jumps, and going uphill (so when I'm pulling on it), but not as much as I thought, and I'm completely fine with it.

Overall: It's almost freaky how fast I've become used to this, I'm normally pretty sensitive to setup change. Need to tighten the bar ends more, because they move when I do bigger stuff.

Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
                      For saddle flex prevention, you can still extend/replace the flat part so it also attaches at the seatpost bolts (like the KH reinforcement plate does).
                      Somehow, I don't really care about saddle flex much.. I may end up doing the reinforcement for strength, but I'm not really all that bothered by the movement. This bar isn't that much longer than the plastic handles, so the flex doesn't feel increased to me
                      In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

Working...
                      X