• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by saskatchewanian View Post
    man that looks great.
    ...Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
      Beautiful! I compared your pics of V1 and V2, and noticed that your seat is now higher, while your armrests and handrests are lower. On this latest setup you must be hunched quite a bit (a sideways picture would be appreciated BTW). It seems to me that that would be difficult for a rider who is used to a more upright (regular) position, since steering/balancing is probably different. You can't just "rotate your butt" but have to sway your whole upper body. (Or am I wrong?) In your 80 miles on V2, on top on the miles on V1 you must have gotten used to it. Is it now really comfortable for you to ride so low down, or is it just "tolerable" and do you do really have it that low for aerodynamics? Do you think you might want to go even lower, after still more miles?
      What really is different is the "mounting act". For me mounting is always the most challenging stage. Even though at first feels weird...after a while mounting became for me much easier than before. As soon as I get some momentum... I rest my elbows on the pads and that's it. Your balance is much easier to maintain (front to back) than without the bars. Even turning is a lot easier for me now, but this at about 8- 10 miles per hour; turning experience is like in a bike; there is not need for twisting your back,seat or anything else. One great advantage to the setup, is that it got rid of chronic lower backaches I use to experiment after riding with my seat slightly out of alignment ( unintentionally of course). Knee pain is gone also, and I believe all pain is gone due to the fact I'm better armed for steering my Unicycle than before, but this could be nothing but the result of so much riding and muscle build up.

Forget about idling; at least not me.

I'm not looking for lower position for aerodynamics, but for better weight distribution and overall comfort. I'm testing lower position/posture to experience how it feels , since is part of the learning process I'm working on.

For what I've learn this far, you can achieve good enough weight distribution without necessarely lowering the front end. In fact lowering the front end too much gives you some neck ache, and you quit enjoying the sight a big deal.

Ultimately again, I think the hardware has to supply with all the options needed to accommodate the final user preferences.

Thanks for your words and valuable input/thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by vijil View Post
        I'd like to see a video for V2 How looowww can you goooo!!
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiGkVLmj9as"]YouTube- SAM_1108.MP4[/ame]

After this ride, and analyzing the video...I shifted my seat another inch back to get my fork vertical again.

Comment

• Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
          Looks cool. But I'm wondering since the saddle is so offset from the seat tube/frame line, if the rider's weight would put significant added stress on the seat tube, where the spline bar is attached. Especially for taller riders who would have it adjusted much higher, requiring a longer seat post to hold the spline bar. Or leave it low and just make the actual saddle a lot higher?
          My spline bar has a 42" diameter for the seat mounting, for a taller rider I would device a bigger "diameter" bar. Everything else the same, the spline_bar could be in different nominal sizes, mine been the smaller since I even shop my fork to be able to ride ; 42, 44, 46, 48 inches, etc.

The seat post you currently have now will be re-distributed; part of it joining the bar to the fork/frame ( most of it) , the rest of the length joining the seat to the bar in about the same amount I have mine.

Again , if you are balanced, you can not apply torque to the frame, the weight will be distributed in a way that the tube wants only to penetrate the frame. Got it?

Comment

It looks to me, Terry, that the offset is near perfectly "balanced". Any less offset for the saddle means more offset for the handlebar part, which also takes a percentage of the total weight. And the spline bar looks strong enough to take the bending stress.
            On the balance part ; You got it !!!

On the strength subject; ...In engineering terms , we are talking here about "Torsional Moment".

Alternative bars are typically round tubes, right? Somebody supply me with ID and OD ( Inner and outside diameter) of his current bar and I can calculate how mine compares to it.

I calculated mine so that is has better torsional moment than anything I've seen out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ebevensee View Post
              On the balance part ; You got it !!!

On the strength subject; ...In engineering terms , we are talking here about "Torsional Moment".

Alternative bars are typically round tubes, right? Somebody supply me with ID and OD ( Inner and outside diameter) of his current bar and I can calculate how mine compares to it.

I calculated mine so that is has better torsional moment than anything I've seen out there.
              Not sure if you're referring to the seat post diameter, or the various touring bars; I only know that the coker big one (newest version) has a 25.4mm seatpost tube (OD). KH is 27.2mm OD and the ID is 31.8mm.

(ebevensee, please check your PM)
              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2010-08-24, 02:06 AM.
              Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
              Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
              -Dani Buron

Website
              Videos
              Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by steveyo View Post
                Wow. You're an artist.

I've been riding the new Nimbus Shadow handle with the curved bars down. It's amazing how different it is riding with that much weight on the bars.

I was messing w/your pic (lowered the bars, extended back part, raised the seat) to show my (and I think some others') idea of a dream Coker, which you've almost made exactly. Personally, I'd like to try it (see my new, butchered version of your picture) where the handlebars/elbow pads are at seat level.

Anyway, everyone seems to like different setups, but you're making some beautiful stuff, there.
                Thanks for sharing your vision, and thanks for your words.

Notice on my picture there is still some more available slot for shifting the seat post further back, and that the spline bar radius would amplify the effect on the final position of the seat itself. Once you get to around 72 degrees, I do not believe you need to keep going in that direction, and therefore would not need a bar extension to the back. I will recreate this on a sketch sometime in the near future.

Raised seat? No problem. Looking at your edited picture , a custom Spline_bar with a 48" radius should do the trick ( a picture of yours current setup would allow me more precision on my estimation) . Spline_bar attached to a seat post as opposed to mine attached to the frame.

Comment

• One question: If you have a UPD in that lean-forward-position, can you still run it out or will your face hit the road?
                  Marcus | youtube | municycle.com
                  I ride for fun

Comment

• Originally posted by hugo View Post
                    Very funny. One of the best pictures in August

Seriously: Not only the joke, but also the composition of the picture is very good. The main object is in the middle with excellent contrast to the wall, colors are very balanced and the wooden fence on the left mirrors the brightness of your clothes on the right.
                    Thank you. Glad someone else got a laugh out of that. The colors and contrast were researched for months
                    ----------------------------------------------

Art is a misspelled rat.
                    "The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"

Comment

• Originally posted by deadbeatpope View Post
                      The colors and contrast were researched for months
                      Well, I guessed it wasn't planned, but the outcome matters.
                      Marcus | youtube | municycle.com
                      I ride for fun

Comment

Lighter & flatter...I rode already about 80 miles on it...I'm still looking for an optimum position..
                        Erich since your the only person to have ridden this setup, could you tell us what would might consider the advantages to be over traditional setups? It sure looks cool and very futuristic.
                        1. How much weight is added by the spline bar, excluding the saddle and aero bars?
                        2. Do you consider it more comfortable than a traditional set up?
                        3. Is hill climbing easier or harder in this configuration?
                        4. Do you find that your top speed is higher, lower, or about the same as a traditional setup?
                        5. Do you feel as stable and solid at higher speeds as you do with a regular set up?
                        6. Can the rider sit more upright and change positions while riding?
                        7. Can a traditional saddle be used, such as the fusion freeride?
                        8. Do you find the bike style saddle more comfortable, especially for long rides?
                        9. Is dismounting off of the front an issue, especially UPDs?

And how would the (altered) configuration below, compare to your current set up, which has your saddle further back?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0813001839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2429840
                        Last edited by MuniAddict; 2010-08-24, 04:57 PM.
                        -Dani Buron

Website
                        Videos
                        Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                          Erich since your the only person to have ridden this setup, could you tell us what would might consider the advantages to be over traditional setups? It sure looks cool and very futuristic.
                          1. How much weight is added by the spline bar, excluding the saddle and aero bars?
                          2. Do you consider it more comfortable than a traditional set up?
                          3. Is hill climbing easier or harder in this configuration?
                          4. Do you find that your top speed is higher, lower, or about the same as a traditional setup?
                          5. Do you feel as stable and solid at higher speeds as you do with a regular set up?
                          6. Can the rider sit more upright and change positions while riding?
                          7. Can a traditional saddle be used, such as the fusion freeride?
                          8. Do you find the bike style saddle more comfortable, especially for long rides?
                          9. Is dismounting off of the front an issue, especially UPDs?

And how would the (altered) configuration below, compare to your current set up, which has your saddle further back?

[ATTACH]43480[/ATTACH]
                          Answer:

1.- As of now about two pounds.
                          2.- A lot more comfortable. I will never go back to standard.
                          3.- Mild climbing is a lot easier than with a regular setup, downhill much easier also.
                          4.- My statistics ( all my rides since I first got my 36") jumped from steady 9.5 MPH avg, to 11.4 MPH overnight from the day I started using my Spline_bars.
                          5.- I feel a lot more stable at high speed than without spline_bar. Rigidity is there also.
                          6.- I only change my weight distribution a little bit once in a while, Pull the bar to slow down and ride hanging from my elbows and taking weight from the saddle, push forward lift my seat and create conditions to hard pedaling to top speed.
                          7._ I don't see why not the standard seat. However when I switch my coker seat for the bike seat, I felt a huge relief. My weight was on my seat bones, period. Nothing else, no restriction for my thighs and knees position once the standard unicycle front part of the seat was gone.
                          8.- Contrary to the inexperienced on this setup believes, I feel less prong to front UPD.

The configuration you are presenting....Been there , done that!!! as shown on my pictures previously presented on this forum. While riding with it I felt like a T-Rex!!! forced me to have my arms against my chest. I got no room to stretch my back, and I felt I needed to move my seat backward big time.
                          Such setup make me evolve to what I have now.

Hope this satisfy your curiosity Terry.

Once you go Spline...you will only Smile!!!

Comment

• ...here goes the old setup picture...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hope this satisfy your curiosity Terry.

Once you go Spline...you will only Smile!!!
                              Thanks for the answers! oh, and a more catchy (and rhyming) slogan might be, "Once you go Spline...you will feel fine!!!"

(Other possibles: "devine", "be in line", "you're spine will feel fine!")

This one kinda bends it a bit, "Once you go spline, you'll be fly'n!"
                              Last edited by MuniAddict; 2010-08-25, 01:10 AM.
                              -Dani Buron

Website
                              Videos
                              Facebook

Comment

... On this latest setup you must be hunched quite a bit (a sideways picture would be appreciated BTW).
                                There you have a couple pictures from today's 40 miles ride. I took a rest on miles 10, 20, 27 and 34. During the week I did try a few lower positions than those on today's ride, but didn't feel that comfortable. Probably I will not go lower than what it is shown on this pictures. But then again, after the ride I got a new saddle , I my try a few different positions with it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X