post your homemade handlebars here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
    That is a thing of beauty! Looks very cool.

"Adjustment on the angular position for the seat post" doesn't really mean that, ...
    Thanks for your words...Let me elaborate a little more on the concept. I have already a setup with just an improvised mast and aero bars mounted on it, and a bike seat. Everything works just fine...but I feel like my ride could improve if I could offset the seat toward the back; one option is just moving the aero bars more toward the front and as you said, the fork will incline backwards. However when that happens, that also changed the angle of the seat relative to the horizontal to a point where I couldn't get a comfortable ride on it. So I decided to pursue a different approach. The angular offset allow me to use the seat post & articulation and the bike seat on design conditions; seat post around 72 degrees . Also, this angle happen to be the most efficient pedaling seat to hub angular definition in a bike, and that angle is what I used to define the extend of the adjustment slots. Finally , if I do get to ride with a vertical fork, or Unicycle frame, I should have no torsion on the bar/frame join.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
      Why would you offset the saddle so far behind the seat post tube?
      I'm trying to maintain both, the fork/frame in a vertical position, and the adjustment of the seat independent from the first.

This is one of those things that goes with different peoples preferences. I notice you haven't buy into aero-bars. And I congratulate you for having done recently your first Century without one.

My experience and preference IS for aero-bars and bike seat for long distance. Once I got the weight balance between saddle and aero-bars for the first time, I decided no going back to "vertical riding". I can ride much longer now, and my hands do net get tired and cramped with the short handles my Coker came with.

I'm not positive yet , to how much offset I'm really going to use, hence the slots.

Anyhow, I'll appreciate any input from you...I'm your fan number one!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
        As an afterthought, it occurred to me that the seat tube (part of the frame accepting the seat post) is designed to be clamped around something. So maybe to make it stronger, you should insert a "dummy" seat post short enough to not extend beyond the frame. But maybe you have that already, I can't see on your picture.
        I does have a dummy seat post to keep the seat tube from collapsing...look close-up picture. The dummy has some thick wall on top so it doesn't fall inside the seat tube, and so that is not dangerous for the rider.

Very good call anyway...keep it coming please!!!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by naturequack View Post
          Erich,
          This is a brilliant new approach to frame design. You have opened up many new possibilities for adjustability. This design also allows for a relatively close position of the seat and wheel, making it possible for shorter riders to enjoy the benefits of a 36er with aerobars. (similar to Brycer's "midget frame")
          I can't wait to read a ride report.

Geoff
          Thanks for your words.........

...and Yes...I probably am on the midget class...I'm 5' 5". In fact I bought my coker thanks to this forum...and after getting needed encouragement went I read that people could actually trim the frame and use extra something on their tennis. And so I did.

Picture shows how I look beside Claude Marguson last year at the Seagull century. Notice my "special tennis" ( two pairs of cheap wallmart flip-flops and glue).

So, yes this open the door to the rest of the midget unicycling community, but also could be used by taller rider, with a longer seat post , as any other unicycle.

Erich
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by ebevensee View Post
            I'm trying to maintain both, the fork/frame in a vertical position, and the adjustment of the seat independent from the first.

This is one of those things that goes with different peoples preferences. I notice you haven't buy into aero-bars. And I congratulate you for having done recently your first Century without one.

My experience and preference IS for aero-bars and bike seat for long distance. Once I got the weight balance between saddle and aero-bars for the first time, I decided no going back to "vertical riding". I can ride much longer now, and my hands do net get tired and cramped with the short handles my Coker came with.

I'm not positive yet , to how much offset I'm really going to use, hence the slots.

Anyhow, I'll appreciate any input from you...I'm your fan number one!!!
            Thanks ebevensee! It's kinda like the "V" frame, but without the "V"! It's really a brilliant piece of engineering. Would you consider selling them? Btw, I may have missed you mentioning it, but how much does it weigh? Is it all aluminum?
            Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
            Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
            -Dani Buron

Website
            Videos
            Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by corbin View Post
              Erich -- that is great! What thickness material are you using? I like the design and idea, and I'm curious about trying it myself. Personally, I think I'd prefer if the whole thing was an upside down half moon.

corbin
              I'm using 3/16" thickness Aluminum.

Comment

• Originally posted by steveyo View Post
                Certainly seems like Erich's design has no up-and-down flex, and, further, that's the only flex possible, right?

For taller riders who'd want the same set-up, the central clamping mechanism could be changed to clamp a seat post, rather than frame. I love it, Erich, simple and elegant.

Questions:
                - What's the weight of the frame and clamps part?
                - And without wanting to step into the "you should market that" argument, how much do you think they would cost to make?
                As it is, there is no flex, period!!! Weight estimaded on SolidWorks is 3.5 pounds without fasteners. Future versions will save weight , same strength ( composite, titanium,etc).

I have not cost it yet, but I will when I feel I'm in an advance level of it.

Thanks for your positive reception....

Comment

• What an excellent project,and that must be one heck of a machine shop you have access to I'm jealous.

john
                  once I was young and stupid....that was some time ago

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/betterforks

Comment

• Originally posted by MuniAddict View Post
                    Thanks ebevensee! It's kinda like the "V" frame, but without the "V"! It's really a brilliant piece of engineering. Would you consider selling them? Btw, I may have missed you mentioning it, but how much does it weigh? Is it all aluminum?
                    Dear MuniAddict:

If I ever think about selling long distance 36"...what is your guess on market size....1, 10, 100, 1000? The answer to that will definitely impact the cost.

And , I'm glad you like my "Spline-bar"... but again, this is an exploration "jig" out of a first well educated guess ( one year riding with continuous improvement efforts on my setup) to what I think it need to be explored.

I'm ambition to complete it with a custom fork also. Blending the two things together, for a high performance , well constructed distance unicycle.

And , yes why not to share the results with the Unicyclist community. My goal is to have a modular design, including an assortment of different clamping blocks for different seat post diameters, different seat tubes , and some blocks with different diameter pegs to mount aero-bars , stems and others. ( Yes, there will be space for our Itouch and mobile phone).

Best!!!

Comment

• i have an idea for homemade handlebars: attach a stem from a bicycle(that connects handlebars to frame) to the seatpost of my coker. then put a short, approxiamately 4-6" tube through the other end of the stem. then attach my aerobars to the horizontal 4-6" tube. it won't reach out very far, but it will be more comfortable than having nothing. i can draw it if this sounds confusing.
                      "I'm probably not advanced enough to have thoroughly tested it while riding, but I'm unadvanced enough to have very thoroughly tested it while falling." -uniShark

I ride for Christ-opher Walken

Comment

• If I know what you mean you'll need a long stem, You want to end up pretty much like a really short T-bar right? It could be cool for XC, maybe like Kris did for his race.
                        Jakob F.

Comment

• This is what I made. I only made these so I would have a new challenge and it is a challenge at that!
                          Attached Files
                          I am a juggling fanatic with a hobby of unicycling. I am starting to become a unicycling fanatic with a hobby of juggling though.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaco_flans View Post
                            If I know what you mean you'll need a long stem, You want to end up pretty much like a really short T-bar right? It could be cool for XC, maybe like Kris did for his race.
                            no, it will be more like a bicycle aero bar that is extended a couple extra inches so it can connect to the seatpost. here is a drawing made hastily by me.
                            Attached Files
                            "I'm probably not advanced enough to have thoroughly tested it while riding, but I'm unadvanced enough to have very thoroughly tested it while falling." -uniShark

I ride for Christ-opher Walken

Comment

• First Ride report...

So far so good.../ Alles Gute..../Hasta aqui vamos bien...

I've already ride twice my Spline-bar...First ride 12 miles last Saturday...second ride 24 miles last Sunday.

Before any riding I moved the seat all the way to the front to be able to mount. Then I lifted the seat for about an inch after realizing my mounting problems were due to the seat been too low. Experimented no issues while riding. No flexing!!!

After Saturday ride I removed the brake line , because it was rubbing my legs. Move the Aero bar about one inch frontwards.

After I rode the 24 miles I decided to tilt my seat , just the seat, front end lower. Riding experience was bike-like, but got a little to much pressure "in there".

Tomorrow morning I'm going for the third ride....

Will keep All posted!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ebevensee View Post
                                So far so good.../ Alles Gute..../Hasta aqui vamos bien...

Riding experience was bike-like, but got a little to much pressure "in there".
                                Do you have any pictures of yourself riding this beast?

If it rides the way you're holding it in the first pictures, then the handlebars are higher than a bike's would usually be. This would lead to less weight on the bars and more pressure on your seat and sensitive zones.

Though I don't have a bike seat on my guni, I find the bars to be most comfy down at seat height in front. I like the length of the new Nimbus Shadow, and the low, straight bar is pretty level with the seat, and I can really get weight on the handles. When I tried higher bars, I found I still got very sore because I still had too much weight on my seat and not enough on the bars.

Is there a way to mount a set of handles lower than the spline bar, just to try it?
                                Last edited by steveyo; 2010-08-04, 02:43 AM.
                                steveyo
                                ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few uni race write-ups
                                - muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

Comment

Working...
                                X