Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
    How you'd set up a drag brake like OP's with hydraulics, I don't know
    Yeah, that's what I'd like to have, for those long downhills that area steady.
    John Foss
    www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Freewheelers might be able to benefit from this if our hubs were ISIS, or if there was an option for cotterless cranks that were compatable with external discs. Iím riding brakeless, but for people still using brakes (read: ďsensible peopleĒ) being able to stop the cranks and keep coasting could have a much more stable platform to balance and hop on. Iíll have to see if I can set something up tomorrow to experiment. It could certainly help my power transfer while pumping.
      Learn something new every day -
      It's just that I needed what I learned today, yesterday.

Comment

For the cotterless cranks you could use a young rider bmx right crank spider. I used it for my huni-rex... however you will need 2 brake, one for the cranks only and one for the wheel

Comment

Originally posted by AJ KJ View Post
          Freewheelers might be able to benefit from this if our hubs were ISIS, or if there was an option for cotterless cranks that were compatable with external discs. Iím riding brakeless, but for people still using brakes (read: ďsensible peopleĒ) being able to stop the cranks and keep coasting could have a much more stable platform to balance and hop on. Iíll have to see if I can set something up tomorrow to experiment. It could certainly help my power transfer while pumping.
          In the pre-KH Spirit past, there was a disk brake kit using Sinz cranks and a rotor attached to the spider (maybe it was Mountainuni like the UCM adapter).

Anyway, Sinz sells these cranks in both ISIS and square. So theoretically, you could test what you described
          => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
          => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

Originally posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
            For the cotterless cranks you could use a young rider bmx right crank spider. I used it for my huni-rex... however you will need 2 brake, one for the cranks only and one for the wheel
            Do you have a link? I wasnít able to find anything. And I know Iíd need two brakes if I wanted to be able to stop, but Iím currently not using any brakes on my F26, so Iíd just use the one to keep my cranks stable. If I wanted to add a stoping brake later then Iíd have to figure out that setup.

Originally posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
            In the pre-KH Spirit past, there was a disk brake kit using Sinz cranks and a rotor attached to the spider (maybe it was Mountainuni like the UCM adapter).

Anyway, Sinz sells these cranks in both ISIS and square. So theoretically, you could test what you described
            I found the Sinz Cotterless cranks. Are the adapters still sold? Some older photos seem to show the disc mounted directly to the spider.
            Learn something new every day -
            It's just that I needed what I learned today, yesterday.

Comment

You can look for younger bike components like: https://kidsracing.co.uk/collections...rrow-q-factors
              For the rotor attached directly to the spider I bought exactly the Muni pre-KH version. It seems to me that Yogi sold it to me. However I still own one if you are located in Europe
              Last edited by Vogelfrei80; 2019-04-07, 08:29 PM.

Comment

The rotor attached to a square taper crank spider
                Attached Files

Comment

With a trouble free mechanical brake something like this could be done relatively easily.
                  Last edited by JimT; 2019-04-08, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimT View Post
                    With a trouble free mechanical brake something like this could be done relatively easily.
                    Did you experience any difference from a Mec.DB vs a HDB?

Comment

Originally posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
                      Did you experience any difference from a Mec.DB vs a HDB?
                      I've never used a HDB (hydraulic disk brake) but this brake seems to work very well. The cable is very short and has very little bend in it with nearly a straight shot from the handle to the brake. I suppose there would be more of an advantage with HDB's when the cable/hydraulic line had to be longer with more bends. Details at: https://pbase.com/jimthode/brake

Comment

Shimano just introduced a gravel bike groupset, which mostly seems silly to me, but it includes an optional in-line hydraulic brake lever so you can put an extra brake lever on your bar tops, to go with the normal drop bar position.

An additional braking option comes with an inline hydraulic sub-brake lever (BL-RX812-L/R) which connects to the main hydraulic line running to the front and/or the rear caliper. The sub-brake lever is designed to be mounted on the handlebar next to the stem offering options for braking when riding with hands on the tops.
                        Read more here

Comment

Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
                          Shimano just introduced a gravel bike groupset, which mostly seems silly to me, but it includes an optional in-line hydraulic brake lever so you can put an extra brake lever on your bar tops, to go with the normal drop bar position.
                          If these are a vaguely reasonable price when they're released then I'll probably get myself one to try for the freewheel (with bars).
                          I wonder whether the main lever is designed differently to facilitate this secondary lever or if it'll be compatible as an addition to other setups. I feel like the auto-adjusting on the main lever would probably cause issues.
                          The model is the BL-RX812.
                          They do also look quite small:
                          https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-conten...azine-ay_1.jpg
                          https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-conten...azine-ay_1.jpg
                          Last edited by mowcius; 2019-05-08, 11:46 AM.
                          "Ride It Baby!"

Comment

It says it maintains compatability with their road and MTB groupsets, so I guess you could put an MTB lever on the end rather than an STI lever (which might be a bit too long/awkwardly angled for a uni)

Interesting though!

EDIT: My CX bike has these extra inline levers, not hydraulic but the levers are indeed very small compared to the STI's on the hoods.
                            Last edited by Piece Maker; 2019-05-10, 08:55 PM.
                            ďIt is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.Ē

Comment

Originally posted by Piece Maker View Post
                              It says it maintains compatability with their road and MTB groupsets, so I guess you could put an MTB lever on the end rather than an STI lever (which might be a bit too long/awkwardly angled for a uni)
                              "The new RX812 inline levers are compatible with other older Shimano hydraulic drop bar levers, but arenít expected to arrive until September."

I presume older drop-bar levers also auto-adjust, but I still can't quite work this out.

Size wise, I've run two finger levers for ages, normally just using one finger, so they might be OK.
                              "Ride It Baby!"

Comment

Working...
                              X