Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Made Titanium Frame's and Seatpost's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Since you didn't mention this here, consider this a bit OT, but..

    A TI seatbase with a "T"-shaped protrusion in front could be a popular item. My CF seatbase has an aluminum "T" bolted onto the front four handle bolts, but a one-piece design would be preferable. With the "T" out front, one can put bar-ends or aerobars or whatever on them and make a nice handlebar.

    I would buy such an item.
    steveyo
    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

    - a few uni race write-ups
    - muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by steveyo
      Since you didn't mention this here, consider this a bit OT, but..

      A TI seatbase with a "T"-shaped protrusion in front could be a popular item. My CF seatbase has an aluminum "T" bolted onto the front four handle bolts, but a one-piece design would be preferable. With the "T" out front, one can put bar-ends or aerobars or whatever on them and make a nice handlebar.

      I would buy such an item.
      I have a rough idea of what your talking about, but if you could please provide me with an actual picture or link the said item that would be greatly apppreciated. If it's what I think it is, I'm sure it would be no problem
      $100 right now if you beat this gap
      Real talk

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by The UniSLAB
        I have a rough idea of what your talking about, but if you could please provide me with an actual picture or link the said item that would be greatly apppreciated. If it's what I think it is, I'm sure it would be no problem
        Well, here's a picture of Munivision's (Jim's) handle, whose design I mostly copied. I'm talking about the seat base including the "T" part, but NOT the bar-ends.

        steveyo
        ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

        - a few uni race write-ups
        - muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

        Comment


        • #34
          I don't see that being a problem at all. I'll talk to him about it though and let you know.
          $100 right now if you beat this gap
          Real talk

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by The UniSLAB
            Your trying to instill doubt into the minds of other people, about a project you know absolutley nothing about
            Actually, Gerble and I are voicing doubts that we already have. My doubts were founded by the lack of critical information you've left us with... being that you haven't addressed our questions (other than to brush them aside), my doubts grow even stronger... as should others'.

            The base to which you ground all your statments, comes from your own shortminded reasoning and what you would call "experience".
            Do you even know who you're talking to? Gerble has more powers of reasoning than some people twice his age... and his "experience" includes countless hours working with metals, welding, machines, etc. in the production of several of his own custom frames.

            What experience do you have to debase his claims? It appears, none.

            With all due respect, you should stop posting in this thread.
            There is no respect anywhere in your post.
            "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

            Comment


            • #36
              Hmm I think it will be intresting to see some of these frames.

              I dont think I will be after a frame, not for a while at least. I dont think I can aford to spend so much on a frame right now. I would however be intrested in buying a ti post with gussets (I think if they prove to be of good quality there will be a few of us from the uk after them). This is dependant on its price and if KH brings out another, stronger post, with gussets.

              At the moment I am riding with my UDC cromo post as this is the only post that seems to last more than about 2 months and that I can reweld when it breaks.
              Last edited by sp4rky-m4rky; 2008-07-03, 05:48 PM.
              Marcus Collings
              *)---', 1mHighJump*
              my pure trials vid
              my Year in vid
              learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my unispin tutorial
              Want to glide? watch my ww tutorial

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by maestro8
                Actually, Gerble and I are voicing doubts that we already have. My doubts were founded by the lack of critical information you've left us with... being that you haven't addressed our questions (other than to brush them aside), my doubts grow even stronger... as should others'.


                Do you even know who you're talking to? Gerble has more powers of reasoning than some people twice his age... and his "experience" includes countless hours working with metals, welding, machines, etc. in the production of several of his own custom frames.

                What experience do you have to debase his claims? It appears, none.


                There is no respect anywhere in your post.
                To what doubts are you voicing to that I have yet to adress? I see none that I have yet to cover or any lack of what you would call "critical information". I have touched on every issue you have brought to my attention, most of which you could have answered yourself if you took the time to read like most people have done.

                No I don't. But I'll continue to make negative assumptions about him seeing as that's what you guys like to do.

                Your satements are redundant and fairly incoherent. It's like talking to a couple of kids who fail to see the point of this thread and are making things up to support their own ideas. Please read, if you did you would know that this is a work in progress and I'm using this to gather information so that I can start on this as soon as possible.
                $100 right now if you beat this gap
                Real talk

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by sp4rky-m4rky
                  Hmm I think it will be intresting to see some of these frames.

                  I dont think I will be after a frame, not for a while at least. I dont think I can aford to spend so much on a frame right now. I would however be intrested in buying a ti post with gussets (I think if they prove to be of good quality there will be a few of us from the uk after them). This is dependant on its price and if KH brings out another, stronger post, with gussets.

                  At the moment I am riding with my UDC cromo post as this is the only post that seems to last more than about 2 months and that I can reweld when it breaks.
                  Thanks for the input. I'll have more details on the seatpost once I can get the frame designs out of the way.
                  $100 right now if you beat this gap
                  Real talk

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Firstly, I think it's great to have yet another person doing custom unicycle work.

                    Secondly, The easiest way to shut up the nay-sayers, is to build and test a unicycle frame. Lend it to someone who can put it through its paces and report back.

                    I read through some of your other post, and while he seems like a qualified fabricator, I didn't read anything about him having experience with cycle frames.

                    Also, don't listen to the people who want them if they're "cheap enough". People who want cheap should stick with the mass produced stuff. Build up to a level of quality, not down to a price point.

                    I think some of the comments have perhaps a little more negativity than is warranted, but people certainly should be a bit skeptical until point 2 is addressed.

                    edit: I'd also be cautious about offering ANY style frame. Personally, I'd focus one one MAYBE two frame designs, and not expand until those designs are proven. My experience is that when you try to be all things to all people, something is going to suffer in the process.

                    Criticisms aside, I'm very intrested in seeing what your friend produces.


                    Originally posted by The UniSLAB
                    To what doubts are you voicing to that I have yet to adress? I see none that I have yet to cover or any lack of what you would call "critical information". I have touched on every issue you have brought to my attention, most of which you could have answered yourself if you took the time to read like most people have done.

                    No I don't. But I'll continue to make negative assumptions about him seeing as that's what you guys like to do.

                    Your satements are redundant and fairly incoherent. It's like talking to a couple of kids who fail to see the point of this thread and are making things up to support their own ideas. Please read, if you did you would know that this is a work in progress and I'm using this to gather information so that I can start on this as soon as possible.
                    Last edited by mscalisi; 2008-07-03, 06:26 PM.
                    ><> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by The UniSLAB
                      Thanks for the input. I'll have more details on the seatpost once I can get the frame designs out of the way.
                      I think that you would probably be better off producing the seatposts first. I think there is probably a bigger market, they shouldnt be too hard to make (im not saying its easy) compared to the frames, they should cost alot less and they will show you are serious about this and that you can produce a quality product. Also this way, if there is a problem with someting there is less money in the pot (for both you and the coustimer).
                      Last edited by sp4rky-m4rky; 2008-07-03, 06:49 PM.
                      Marcus Collings
                      *)---', 1mHighJump*
                      my pure trials vid
                      my Year in vid
                      learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my unispin tutorial
                      Want to glide? watch my ww tutorial

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Unislab, I admire the fact that you want to build custom frames but I also agree with a large number of the posts in this thread. I have been part of small companies who think that they have the best product out there and can beat the big boys right out of the gates. You will find this to be untrue, unless of course you are lucky.

                        I would like to make a design and submit it to you but I would also like to know what grade of Ti you are using so that I can get the material properties (modulus of elasticity, tensile strength, and other more common properties) so that I can design a frame that I know would withstand some abuse.

                        Now say that I want my frame to have a shape more akin to the Torker DX with the non-tubular parts, do you have the machine tools necessary to fabricate such a part. And you said any design too so that means that if I can design something that would require a custom made hub would you be able to facilitate that too.

                        I would say that you need to make a few frames and test them. Then offer them for sale and use the custom stuff more as part of a research and development program. A few other issues I have noticed is general credibility of your process. Is your welder a certified welder? Are you going to be using any CNC milling, or by hand? Are you actually going to be doing any of the fabrication yourself? What kind of facility do you have? Are you going to use CAD software to make your shop plans? (I would recommend Solidworks if you are. That way you can to testing in the computer and export complex shapes straight to the CNC.)

                        I wish you the best of luck with you venture. But please be responsible and generate a good product. I agree with Mscalisi, build up to a quality standard not down to a price.

                        Oh and as a side note, I did read the entire thread.
                        Last edited by enahs; 2008-07-03, 06:59 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by sp4rky-m4rky
                          I think that you would probably be better off producing the seatposts first.
                          Have to agree, there are lots of strong light frames around, but seemingly few seatposts that don't get broken with sustained abuse.
                          Dave

                          - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by enahs
                            Unislab, I admire the fact that you want to build custom frames but I also agree with a large number of the posts in this thread. I have been part of small companies who think that they have the best product out there and can beat the big boys right out of the gates. You will find this to be untrue, unless of course you are lucky.

                            I would like to make a design and submit it to you but I would also like to know what grade of Ti you are using so that I can get the material properties (modulus of elasticity, tensile strength, and other more common properties) so that I can design a frame that I know would withstand some abuse.

                            Now say that I want my frame to have a shape more akin to the Torker DX with the non-tubular parts, do you have the machine tools necessary to fabricate such a part. And you said any design too so that means that if I can design something that would require a custom made hub would you be able to facilitate that too.

                            I would say that you need to make a few frames and test them. Then offer them for sale and use the custom stuff more as part of a research and development program. A few other issues I have noticed is general credibility of your process. Is your welder a certified welder? Are you going to be using any CNC milling, or by hand? Are you actually going to be doing any of the fabrication yourself? What kind of facility do you have? Are you going to use CAD software to make your shop plans? (I would recommend Solidworks if you are. That way you can to testing in the computer and export complex shapes straight to the CNC.)

                            I wish you the best of luck with you venture. But please be responsible and generate a good product. I agree with Mscalisi, build up to a quality standard not down to a price.

                            Oh and as a side note, I did read the entire thread.
                            Thanks for the positive input on the subject! The ti we'll be using will be determined by a few things. First off I need to determine how many unit's to produce our first run through. Once we can put on number on that, we will sort through the various grades and find one with the physical properties needed to withstand the abuse of unicycling. Our first prototype will probably be made from 1.5mm thick tubing. We'll be using a sealed chamber to do all the welding in and have it filled with argon. We do not have a CNC machine in house, but we will be taking it to another company to get that work done.

                            He is most definatley certified in the welding industry. I know he's worked with Webber Aviation, and some of his more recent work has been through Xtreme Stuctures. For those of you who don't know, Aviation welding and fabrication has some of the strictist standards in the industry. Basically he's a perfectionist and since I'm the only one to see his work first hand I'm the only one who's actually excited to see this happen.

                            If you wish to have a frame outfitted for a custom hub, you would need to send me the dimension's needed for the bearing holders and any other additional changes that may be needed to make to the frame.
                            Last edited by The UniSLAB; 2008-07-03, 07:26 PM.
                            $100 right now if you beat this gap
                            Real talk

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by The UniSLAB
                              To what doubts are you voicing to that I have yet to adress? I see none that I have yet to cover or any lack of what you would call "critical information". I have touched on every issue you have brought to my attention, most of which you could have answered yourself if you took the time to read like most people have done.
                              Originally posted by maestro8
                              So you're selling invisible frames of unproven designs of an unspecified material from an unknown manufacturer...

                              What about turnaround time? ... Have you thought about how many orders you can take at once?

                              What do we do if our frame breaks -- do you offer any guarantees? Any warranty services?
                              Design and material are critical, as is turnaround time, as is terms and conditions.

                              Originally posted by The UniSLAB
                              I need to know how many people are interested in this before we start buying up materials.
                              Interest may better be generated by having a clearly communicated plan, with proven prototypes and well-known terms. Why should I be interested in having you build me a Ti seatpost, when you can't tell me if I'll get it in 6 weeks or 6 months, or what might happen if it breaks?
                              "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Ok, I spent some time at the computer and made this extremely rough drawing of a uni that I have in mind. It should be attached to this post. I did not make the spokes or pedal as you can see. I also skipped the cogs that would have to be on both the main hub and the secondary hubs. The idea is a lot like a reverse giraffe except you would have to make a set of three. One on the main hub, one idling in between, and one on the secondary hub. Now you would need that on both sides so that the cranks would spin at the same rate. The reason to make a uni like this is obvious, a inexpensive geared uni.

                                This would require alot of machining on your end. Do you think that you would be up to it?
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X